Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael_in_chicago

Where to go: gardener vacationing in Boston?

15 years ago

I'll be in Boston this summer on vacation and would like see take some trips in the area to see gardens/botanic gardens/arboretums, maybe get some hiking in at the same time. When I was in NY, for instance, it was great to get to Wave Hill and the NY Botanic Garden. What does the Boston area have to offer?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• 15 years ago

Absolutely go to the Isabelle Stewart Gardner Museuem.... there's no clue on the outside as to what it's like inside. The museum has a fascinating history. It was her (Isabelle's) home. Built around an interior garden, each floor has balconies that look down into all the lush greenery. It's like an oasis in the busy city.

Many years ago the museum was kept as if it were still her home with holes in the floors where tables or chairs should sit and her "stuff"/paintings, etc. everywhere. Sadly, though, theft has caused the museum to be cleaned out and now it's like any other. But if you're lucky to get there during a concert (held in her own chapel), you can get a sense of what it was like to have lived in such a magnificent house.

Molie

• 15 years ago

As stated by the "Emerald Necklace Conservancy" Boston has been recognized as the 3rd greenest city in the nation so rest assured there are many gems (arboretum, parks, gardens) within the city and accessible by public transportation -"MBTA". Will you be spending any time out side of the city? If so let us know as there are many more wonderful places for you to explore. kt

• 15 years ago

We'll definitely get a car to travel around for hiking/nature and garden opportunities! Thanks for your responses.

• 15 years ago

Some favorite places of mine:

Tower Hill Botanical Garden Boylston, MA
    www.towerhillbg.org

New England Wildflower Society Framingham, MA
    www.newfs.org

South to RI there are lots of places that aren't a bad ride from Boston area. See this link on my TripAdvisor Go List for Newport area (Newport mansions, Green Animals Topiary Garden, Blithewold):

Newport Gardens Go List

Also I have a general list on New England Gardens Go List:
    New England Gardens Go List

Finally if interested in seeing some photos check out my PictureTrail photos:
    Picture Trail Photos

Enjoy!

• 15 years ago

If you get a chance, my favorite place about an hour from Boston is the Tower Hill Botanical Garden. Their web site is: www.towerhillbg.org. If you click on the web site, it will show you pictures of the gorgeous views of the surroundings and vistas. The drive there is also beautiful. Try to get a gps to help you find it in your rental car. They have an organgerie, an Italianate garden and the site is magnificent. After you check out their web site, come back here and post and let us know what you think. Welcome to Boston.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for the tips and links!

• 15 years ago

Don't forget Harvard's Arnold Arboretum, and the Mass Hort Society's Elm Bank Reservation, in Wellesley. There are some great gardens at Elm Bank.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elm Bank

• 15 years ago

I would suggest walking from Harvard Square up Brattle Street by all the mansions and their gardens. Maybe also check out some of the streets between Brattle and Huron. There are beautiful well landscaped houses all around. Actually exploring the side streets on a warm summer night can be magical. Many of these houses also have very tasteful landscape lighting.

There are also garden tours in different neighborhoods. I honestly have never done this but would love to see what is out behind some of those huge townhouses on Beacon Hill.

I would also recommend a visit to the DeCordeva museum in Lincoln. They always have very interesting unique art and the extensive grounds are a wonderful sculpture garden. It is a great place for a picnic.

• 15 years ago

Don't fail to look at the websites of two important historic organizations that maintain some of New England's most beautiful gardens. The gardens will be listed separately so you can check them out.

One is Historic New England.

And the other is The Trustees of Reservations. Website is www.thetrustees.org. Sorry I can't figure out how to add another link.

And don't miss the Danvers Historical Society's Glen Magna, north of Boston. A beautiful garden with the most beautiful summerhouse in the United States, designed and carved by Samuel McIntyre in the 1790s.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic New England

• 15 years ago

If you want great greenery, consider the Arnold Arboretum. It was created as a park by Olmsted, the genius behind Central Park in NY. The Arnold Arboretum is part of "the Emerald Necklace" of parks in the Boston area. It's set up to have all sorts of trees, shrubs, and flowers grow in year round.

I'd say it's the best park Boston has to offer (outside of Fenway park, that is!).

It's an awesome place for the botany buff, or just to stroll or picnic. Great for biking/rollerblading too!

Here is a link that might be useful: boston city tours

• 15 years ago

Born and raised in Boston - loved the suggestion above about trolling
    Brattle Street (and the surrounding streets) around Harvard Square . . . while
    you're over there, check out the incredible Mt. Auburn Cemetery, the first in this country actually landscaped as a garden!

Carl

Here is a link that might be useful: Mt. Auburn Cemetery