Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Barlow Japanese tomato

13 years ago

I am trying to track this down. When the weather is bitter I do not clean my house or do my taxes. No I get on line and read tomato recommendations. It drives me crazy when someone describes a wonderful tomato and you can't get it. Has any one grown it and did you think it was good? Where did you get it? I went to Too Many Tomatoes Blog but it is too much reading to catch up on. I went to e-bay because it was mentioned on the blog that the name was not politically correct for e-bay. But I couldn't find where it was sold.

Comments (4)

• 13 years ago

Helen,

Jay grows it. I'm sure he'll reply when he sees this.

Dawn

• 13 years ago

Helen,
    I saw a post a few years ago by Too Many Tomatoes talking about a tomato her grandfather had grown and how good it was and if anyone wanted any she would share some seeds. I requested some and understand I was the only one. She sent 30-35 seeds if I remember correctly along with the history. How a soldier returning from Japan brought some seeds to her grandfather and then how he selected it till he had a very good tomato. Due to the fact my growing conditions are so unpredictable and harsh I shared seeds with a few fellow tomato growing addicts so in case of a growing failure here some others with better growing conditions would be able to sample them and save seed. One being Camo. A great tomato grower and also person. He wrote some very glowing reports on it and now many want to grow it. The first summer none of mine ever produced mature tomatoes. This past summer it was one of the best I grew. It produced nice tasting tomatoes over a long period. I saved a lot of seeds. The controversy on Ebay was started by a lady I shared seeds with. She knew the name ect when I shared them. She sells seeds on Ebay. She came back and wanted to rename them. By that time seeds had been shared by several of the other growers I had sent seed too. And also this was the name this tomato had always been called. I hesitate to change names especially of a variety that is already in circulation. What happens is you will end up with the same variety being called 2 names. If you will email me I will add your request to my list. And promise to start filling requests shortly. I need to get some small baggies and then will start. If you want to know anymore just ask and I'll do my best to answer from what I know. Jay

• 13 years ago

Jay,
    I have lots of baggies. If you'll send me your address, I'll drop them in the mail.

• 13 years ago

Thank you both for answering. I knew the Oklahoma forum would respond. It is funny how in cold weather I become a computer nut. I look up old posts and grow lists. I have some tomato seeds I can trade and some bags. I understand Barlow Jap is not politically correct but it fits the time. We all had a different view of the Japanese in the fifties. I don't remember the 40's. My mother was from Australia and they were very afraid of the Japanese invading. She once commented that their country may have been better off it that happened because the Japanese are smart and Australia had a low population. Times have changed but you can't erase the past and it is good to know the truth. That is that bitter enemies can become friends.