Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

Tolumnia bahamensis

This plant is considered an endangered species. Mine was collected long before it was added to the list. It is said to be local to Martin County, Florida.

Not the most beautiful flower but it is special being local and endangered.

Truth is I doubt this is natural to florida. About 50 or 60 years
ago a country club was being built in Southeast Martin
County. Jupiter Hill Country Club. On that property there was a very old slave cemetery. The graves were adorned with tolumnia bahamensis. It is belived that the graves were adorned by relatives in the Bahamas. The plant grows like weeds there.

I learned this from Ruben Sauledo. Ruben collected these plants and replanted them in Jonathan Dickerson State park. A few miles north. He did such a good job it looked natural. Ruben has an orchid business in Miami called Ruben in Orchids. Ruben holds a PHD in orchid taxonomy. That makes him a good source.

I think the people at the State Park are not interested in this truth. They are milking it for all they can. They got all kinds of studies and projects regarding this plant. Busy work they prefer to do. If it was really endangered their work would be worthwhile. Now they have it where they want it and won't let go.

Regardless, I enjoy growing my "endangered" tolumnia bahamensis. The plant has about 35 spikes and each spike will have around 15 to 20 flowers. I'll post pictures when it blooms.

Comments (3)

Sponsored