Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puffisaurus

stupid slugs!!!! help!!!!!!

15 years ago

i am having a container garden 4 the 1st time this yr. past yrs i have had in ground. i am having a HUGE problem with slugs eating my peppers... not my romas, or italian ices, or honey bunches at all. just my peppers!!!

does any1 have any good natural ideas on how 2 keep them away?

i just tried pennies... didnt really work 2 well.

Comments (15)

• 15 years ago

Go out early in the morning with your

slug slicer

The only poison I used to use was slug bait and only in the grass around beds, not in them. We now have a dog and not wanting to poison her I got some Sluggo which is supposedly safe. But it doesn't seem to do the job so I am back to my manual method

• 15 years ago

Small containers of beer are suppose to work. Try that or put out some naga peppers and kill them that way. LOL

• 15 years ago

i would LOVE sum naga seeds!!!!

this is the 5 yr i have gardened

pm me ur addy man... i would soooo raise sum great naga's :)

so... here r sum pics of what my problems r...

they f***ing came back again 2night!!!

sum bit... sum just with slime. lil bastards!!!!!!

and jw...

whats wrong with this leaf?

its a scotch bonet

• 15 years ago

If those pennys are minted 1982 or after then there only 2.5% copper. Try some older pennys or small copper plumbing fittings. Or the beer. For the beer you bury a wide fairly shallow jar in the ground and fill it to about 1/2 from the top with beer. They go in and can't get out so they drown.

• 15 years ago

any other solutions?

• 15 years ago

bump

• 15 years ago

You could sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your plants, but it will have to be re-applied after watering or a rain. It should take care of those small ones easily. For larger ones, I'd use the Sluggo. I have some experience here, being from the PNW, where slugs are as thick there as the mosquitos are here in Wisconsin.

Here is a link that might be useful: slug stoppers

• 15 years ago

Beer really does work. Get the cheapest kind, pour into some sort of straight sided vessel about the size and height of a coffee mug. They crawl in, get drunk I guess, and can't get back out. In the a.m. you'll have little dead ones floating. Don't use a bowl, they can get out of those.

You'll need fresh beer every 2 days or so.

• 15 years ago

Slugs = Nematodes and diatomaceous soil.

Organic and very effective!

Trust me, I know.

bill

• 15 years ago

I've heard even non-alcoholic beer works.

• 15 years ago

I've read it's the yeast that attracts them in the beer.
    Also you have to put the container level with the ground.
    Putting a little salt in the beer is supposed to mess up the snails or slugs so they can't crawl back out and have your plants as a chaser to their beer breakfast.
    Most complaints say the critters crawl out of the beer filled container once they drank what they want so it doesn't work that well.
    I think the salt scews up the snails or slugs so they can't get out and fall in and die.
    I know salt really messes up snails and slugs so it's worth a try.

• 15 years ago

i think fiedlermeister has the most effective measure....however, i think his method (scissors or garden shears) along with the beer method (with a variation in normal slug and beer wars)makes an excellent solution. this is the way you do it:---1'st-- at dusk, you grab two beers(maybe 3) and your scissors/shears---second,--open one of the beers, with the other beer on standby, and start pounding that sucker---third---find some slugs and begin slicing them in two.....continue this process until the 1'st beer is in your gut---4'th----find a nice ripe hot pepper and eat it---5'th--open second beer and consume while continue slicing the little intrusive
    ^%%#$%^#@@!'s until your whole garden has been erradicated of slugs.
    now you've done a great job......for today......but have no fear, the next evening they will return in force, so tomorrow, grab those shears and beers and go play in your garden. the good thing is, while doing said activity, you get to really get a close up look at how your garden is doing and even a bit of weeding on the side. of course this method works just as well at dawn, but might not be socially acceptable for many and may need to be just done on weekends and days off. good fricking luck from one who gardens in slug haven---maritime washington MUST be the birthplace of these scoundrels and my nemisis. i have no problem grabbing one and playing "pitch to the tree trunk" as hard as i can throw. yes you're hand might have a layer of slime you can't wash off, but just do some weeding and it will be better. thats all from lopez island washington---good luck

• 15 years ago

ok, i also forgot to say---slugs love to crawl under your containers and also into the drain holes to hide....check them out.
    they also don't seem to like to crawl across wood chips(not saw dust) the more pointy the better. so if you can find your local tree trimmer and get a bit,and put yopur pots on top of the spread out chips this might help some. my other slug pevention i've tried for my dahlias, when first coming up, is to get a large can, cutting off the rim, and then with metal cutters slicing down an inch or so every 1/4 inch or so all the way around the cans top. like diatomacious earth, they don't like to crawl across pointy things that jab them. that all i have to offer for now...good luck with the little #@$#^$%$@#$^%^%'s---bob

• 15 years ago

Beer traps, morning patrols. Worked for my mom. Got a big snail and slug problem under control now. My friend and I were bouncing the idea around of double sided tape with salt stuck to it. They hate it. Might be worth a shot.

-HabBob

• 15 years ago

i think im going 2 go with the wood chips

i have cut slicing and dicing

but i have resently mad sumthing i like 2 call the "slug sling"

pretty much a sling shot 4 slugs.

slug + sling = f*cking funny and effective!!!

so could i use that red jagged mulch?

it would help with reflecting

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County