Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sortaorganic

Suggestions for the 2013 garden

11 years ago

*I originally posted this in the garden section. Didn't even think about looking for a forum on hot peppers. Very new to this type of pepper, but have been growing bells for a number of years. We have a very small garden, but still managed to get 26 plants in this year!*

Original post: We would like some suggestions for new pepper varieties in next years garden. We grew "Mexibells" again this year, but would like to find something with just a little more heat. We are not looking for anything too hot. We tried the "Sweet Heats" this year, but for us, there was too much sweet, and not enough heat. On a positive note, the bush is quite compact (about 15" x 15"), and they have been covered with fruit. We both enjoy bells, but would like to find something to spice up some of the dishes we enjoy. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• 11 years ago

Try jalapeno. The productivity is hard to keep up with!!! I find with jalapenos I am spending more time harvesting then taking care of them!!! :)

• 11 years ago

Peppadew's are nice peppers that are a bit sweet with good heat.

• 11 years ago

I grow a serrano every year solely for the heat. The taste (while not at all bad) isn't very remarkable beyond it's heat even when ripe red.

They're thin-width, fleshy/thick, 2-3" peppers that can be used in cooking according to taste with other peppers as a compliment that won't mask the other pepper's flavors.

The plants tend to be ridiculously productive if you choose one of the larger varieties (many open pollinated varieties to choose from). I don't worry too much about cutting one up only to use half of it.

They also freeze well for later use in hot-cooking and salsa/sauce making. Though they get "soggy" like all frozen peppers they're very easy to work with right out of the freezer with none-to-minimal thawing depending on how you handle a knife. The seeds are extremely small.

• 11 years ago

I am trying a couple different mildly hot peppers this year (Numex Joe Parker, NuMex Big Jim, something called Cowhorn). I harvested only one ripe red Joe Parker so far. The tip was sweet, rest was mild heat. I though it was good, interesting.

I have started looking at the "http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/"; web site, reading up on what they have developed over the years. I don't grow "real" hot peppers, so I normally don't post here. Good luck in finding the perfect pepper!

• 11 years ago

SortaOrganic, you have my respect. Anyone that can be successful growing bells will have success with Capsicum - these tough, barely-removed-from-the-wild plants.

I recommend cubanelle, which isn't quite as fleshy as a bell but can otherwise be treated as one (culinarily) with a little heat. Poblanos likewise, which stuffed make chiles rellenos (yum!). And toss in a jalapeno (standard or mammoth) for more heat - and poppers (double yum!).

• 11 years ago

I recommend the Hungarian Hot wax. Despite it's name, it isn't all that hot. Similar to heat of a Jalapeno. You could also try Pepperoncini. They are quite mild with just a bunch of heat. Then you have the Sweet Banana and they are basically no heat...a direct alternative to bell peppers. All three of those varieties are good producers.

Bruce

• 11 years ago

I grew Hungarian Hot Wax and also picked them at different stages of maturity. Although i was once told to let them fully ripen red for more kick, in a couple instances I picked them while yellow and they were hotter than the later picked "red" hot Hungarian wax peppers. Taste wise, I love them, one of my favorite peppers and they're not too hot at all.

On another note Im also growing thin cayenne pepper. These have some kick but are the easiest to dry and use for powder which I love.

Lastly, I grow Jalapenos, and obviously from the others commenting, theyre popular, and very tasty, virtually used in everything you can think of!

-Steve

• 11 years ago

I grew one TAM mild jalapeno this year - I got it at Lowe's. The name says it all - hot if you use the whole fruit, but not as hot as standard jalapeno. It didn't grow very big, but it was reasonably productive. Apparently there's a newer version - it comes out of Texas A&M, thus the name. I'm looking for more mildly hot peppers for next year as well. My poblanos didnt' set fruit for a long time, and I haven't picked one yet. They did have a growth spurt after the July heat wave/drought, though, and now have fruit coming.

• 11 years ago

Numex Big Jim and Anaheim are two you may want to check into also.
    Bruce

• 11 years ago

I agree with many of the recommendations above. There's a whole world of different flavors and possible uses in that range. You're going to have to try "all the above" at some point. :-)

I would really recommend something like the NuMex Big Jim (any of those Anaheim / Green Chili types, really) and a poblano (ancho if you let it ripen to red, and dry it).

• 11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their time and suggestions. Looks like I've got some reading to do! This will definitely be a change for us since we have been growing bells only. We have a new indoor germination plan for next year as well. 72 pepper plants in our bathroom this spring was an adventure!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm