Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Some Mid-summer stunners in my garden (not roses!)

17 years ago

In the heat of mid summer when everything looked washed out, fried, and tired, (including roses), hardy hibiscus and Lime light hydrangeas really light up the garden.

The Hibiscus is Kopper King and the Hydrangea is Lime light (I have a hedge of these planted 6 feet apart...they are just spectacular in the evenings...I planted these last year and hopefully they will grow taller and bigger..)

{{gwi:260405}}

{{gwi:260406}}

Comments (7)

• 17 years ago

I love your Hydrangea! I bought one that wasnt hardy here and I felt stupid, I've always liked the white ones. The Hib makes quite an impact. Thanks for the pretty pics!

Jen

• 17 years ago

Limelight is a wonderful plant. I cut several for a bridesmaids' luncheon and they were so beautiful, the groom's mom asked to borrow them for the rehearsal dinner. Then they were again used at the wedding reception in the 2 ladies' powder rooms. Finally, one of the decorators took them home for a baby shower she hosted at her house on the Sunday afternoon after the wedding. How's that for staying power! I just noticed that plants are putting out new blooms today! I highly recommend Limelight. Buff

• 17 years ago

Yes, they last a long time after they are cut. I have also noticed that they dry and keep the white green color when dried indoors. I hate to cut the blooms though, because they last for months on the bush changing from lime to white to specs of red and pink as fall approaches. Last year I left them on the bush for winter interest. I have a neighbor with the pee gee hydrangia which is big and blowsy. Lime light is much more compact and has stronger stems which stay upringht. Great shrub.

• 17 years ago

Pappu, I am sure the areas around your house make all your neighbors happy. I love the Hibiscus, I have a couple. Lime Light is lovely too! Everything you post is always pretty and inspires me to keep going.

Carla

• 17 years ago

Hydrangeas are great. Is that a PeeGee?

• 17 years ago

OOOOH!!! your pictures are just beautiful.

• 17 years ago

Thank you!
    Harry, the hydrangia is Limelight. It has stronger stems than PG(which flops every which way)and more compact and holds its blooms upringht even after a hard rain, unlike PG. The young blooms have a greenish cast to them which PG does not have. If you like the paniculata hydrangeas, look up Little lamb and The Swan. Little lamb has more fluffy, looser heads and Swan has huge palm sized florets..both are white...