Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Looking for suggestions - your favourite Greens, Oranges or Pinks

13 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for your opinions on your favourite Green tomatoes, Orange tomatoes and Pink Tomatoes.

I'm looking to grow a whole bunch of "favourites" or popular varieties in these colours this summer to see which ones I personally like the best. I've never grown too many of these colours before.

The list I have so far is:

Pink:

Caspian Pink

Omar's Lebanese

Vintage Wine

Ferris Wheel

Zapotec (*still looking for seeds)

Orange:

Amana Orange

Coastal Pride Orange

Kellog's Breakfast

Green:

Aunt Ruby's German Green

Green Pinneaple

Green Zebra

Moldovan Green

I'd appreciate any suggestions of good tomatoes to add to this list. I'm trying to stay away from Potato Leaf and certainly looking for heirlooms. Other than that, what are your favourites that you would add?

Thank you so much for any suggestions :)

Comments (12)

• 13 years ago

There are several orange ones in this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow and orange tomato suggestions

• 13 years ago

Thank you for the link to that thread, I did read through it!

Anyone else have any comments on these tomatoes? I'm trying to narrow it down to about 2-3 of each colour ... any experiences with the ones on the list, any suggestions for tomatoes to add/try?

I've barely grown any green, orange or pink tomatoes before so I'm really looking for some good suggestions!

• 13 years ago

You won't be disappointed with Amana Orange -- it produces well and tastes pretty good. Kellogg's Breakfast also produces well but I find the flavor a bit on the sweet side for my taste though others on this forum really like this variety.

I am trying Cherokee Golden for the first time this year. This natural color mutation of the Cherokee family is reported to have the same hardy and productive growth as well as deep flavor as the other color versions.

• 13 years ago

Did you see this thread on greens? There are lots of pinks. Maybe you should google each name of your pinks and see what you can find. I am not trying to mess up your thread, but you are slipping down the page with not many responses.

Here is a link that might be useful: green when ripe favorites

• 13 years ago

Omar's Lebanese produced huge tomatoes for me last year. I'm not growing it this year because we've cut down on the larger varieties, but I'll probably grow it out again next year. I did have some splitting, but that was a problem with several varieties here last year with all of the flooding.

• 13 years ago

My garden is not complete without a few bushes of Green Grape. These are my personal energy source while poking around in the garden in summer. There are always a lot of them and they have that lovely TOMATO! taste, a little bit of spice to them, and they're best with slightly gold shoulders. Nom.

• 13 years ago

Yellow to orange-
    Verna's Orange Oxheart- early, meaty, few seeds, fruity flavor
    Herman's Yellow Heart- a little later, maybe more productive, about the same in flavor

Pink-
    Sochulak- my best producer one year, large pink variable hearts to ovals, small seed cavities, meaty, rich flavor
    Siberian Pink- abundant large cherry, good flavor, low cracking
    Ukrainian Heart- meaty, fruity flavor, good production large hearts

• 13 years ago

Don't know about many of the ones on your list, but I never go without Green Zebra in my garden. They are prolific and a really well balanced flavor. One of my favorites...plus, where I am in California they produce well into fall. Love'm!! I also grow Pineapple which is a gorgeous, large, yellow tomato with a burst of red on the inside. Great flavor and a great slicer... one of those show-off tomatoes. LOL. Best of luck.
    Don

• 13 years ago

Thank you for all the responses!

Helenh - I had already googled to find info on these tomatoes, I'm looking now for more personalized experiences. Most of what you find through google are specifics from places who sell the seeds/tomatoes, and not personal growing experiences (which I find much more useful) :)

We also had a lot of splitting last year because of all the water, so it is difficult to tell whether that was "normal" or not!

I hadn't heard of Green Grapes (I'm assuming it is a smaller fruit, almost a cherry) but I'll definitely look into that one!

Green Zebra is on the list, and they sound quite popular although polarizing. Some people really love and some people really hate ... the pictures of it almost sell me on this tomato right there, so beautiful!

Ladon - thank you for the Pineapple endorsement. That is actually one of the yellows I am looking at for next year, and you make it sound so delicious. I do love the show offs :)

Hemnancy - thank you so much for all the suggestions. I've actually not heard of any of those so it gives me good reading ... I really appreciate the suggestions!

Does anyone have any comments on Zapotec, the pink one? or Ferris Wheel? Or Vintage Wine? I'm finding it difficult to get good info on these ones. Are they as tasty as the ads make them sound? Are they on your must-grow list, or not?

• 13 years ago

Another question - I received seeds for a tomato called "Smoky Mountain" as part of a seed swap last year (or the year before perhaps). I've been trying to find info online and can barely find anything about this one. Is it a pink tomato or a red one? Is it a beefsteak or paste? Indeterminate? Does anyone know anything about a tomato called Smoky Mountain?

• 13 years ago

cziga,
    Here's a little information from Tatiana's TOMATObase:
    indet., regular leaf, foliage is sage-green with fuzzy whitish hairs, medium size red pear/oval shaped fruit which grow in clusters. Paste tomato.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smoky Mountain on TOMATObase

• 13 years ago

I do not have personal experience with Zapotec, however, seeds are available at tomato growers.com

Teresa