Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbychickenmom

Pole vaulting rabbits

15 years ago

At least I think that is how they're getting over the fences around my garden beds. Does anyone know what I might use to entice rabbits to enter a live trap? All they seem to want to eat are my flowers.

Comments (22)

• 15 years ago

No experience with rabbits, but here's what Havahart's website suggests. For cats/foxes, I always wire the bait to the back end of the cage to make sure they give it a good tug and trip the trap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Havahart rabbit bait info

• 15 years ago

thats funny, i can see the wee fuzzy buggers, like olympiads, pole vaulting over your fence

too funny

tesa

• 15 years ago

You have to have pretty small holes to stop a rabbit. I've used chicken wire but that's not something for the front yard. They also like to crawl under loose fence so they might just be wiggling under.

• 15 years ago

And if you need proof of their ability to pole-vault, watch this... :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPOdffkkLo&feature=related

• 15 years ago

What a cute video!

We had a pet rabbit for the grandchildren and learned how cute and smart rabbits are, but had no idea there were rabbit jumping shows.

Sorry, no advice on keeping them out of the garden. I found that an electric wire is the only thing that will keep deer out, but don't know if it would work with rabbits.

• 15 years ago

This is a great post. I have no advice. I'm just laughing at the image of garden-crazed bunnies pole vaulting over your fence.

The video babalubird supplied is also eye-opening. Didn't know rabbits could jump so high.

• 15 years ago

I've heard of running electric fencing low to the ground and a motion activated sprinklers that also works on cats.
    I had a funny picture of Olimpiad(sp?) rabbits vaulting over a fence! LOL! PJ

• 15 years ago

After watching the video from babalubird I realize the 3 ft tall bird netting fence I put around the flowerbeds isn't going to cut it. However, I think they are pushing under the netting. This morning I came within inches of trapping one under a big dip net, but he managed to ram against the netting hard enough to pull it up and he could squeeze under. I planned to relocate him to a nice park nearby where he could eat things other than my flowers. Anyway, loved the film babalubird! I'll try the bait suggested by Havahart in the live trap and keep raising the fencing! Also being ready with the dip net....Thanks for the ideas. I still think they could be pole vaulting over....the Fosbunny Flop, maybe? Probably using fiberglass poles too. Maybe they're on steroids. Eating all my poppy seedlings must have them buzzed up.

• 15 years ago

I don't know if this will work on rabbits or not.

We just put electric fencing around our garden at the farm, about an acre in size. We put the first strand right at only 4 inches above the ground, then 9 inches above that, then positioned the other two strands 11 inches above that or approximately, the last and fourth strand around 3 feet from the ground.

I would think it would be pretty difficult for them to climb under the 4 inch without coming in contact with it and getting shocked. I would think that it would only take once per rabbit, but like I said, I can't guarantee it. These were heights recommende in some article I read and can't remember where.

• 15 years ago

All the folks with snake problems should get one of those rabbits, Linda.....LOL>

• 15 years ago

Yes, a friend of mine that knows how I am about snakes suggested the same thing! HA!

• 15 years ago

Success!! This morning one of the flower munching rabbits got inside my bird netting fence around a large flowerbed. When I started watering the bush he was hiding under, he blasted out and launched himself head first into the bird netting. It bounced him back and he did this repeatedly for several times while I was running to get the big dip net. I actually managed to whop the net over the rabbit on one of his bounces back from the bird netting!!! Twisted him up in the dip net and then got my husband to drive us to a park where we released the bunny. My husband could not believe I actually managed to catch a rabbit in the net. The park was a perfect area, near a creek with lots of grass and trees. A big improvement over our yard. When we drove off, the befuddled rabbit was still just sitting there where we dumped him out of the net, looking around like, "What the heck was that all about?!" One bunny down, ?? more to go!

• 15 years ago

Good for you, Chickenmom!!!! Get 'em!!! :-)

• 15 years ago

Hey you need to use your chickens!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken police

• 15 years ago

Love the video!! It is so funny to see that the chickens are definitely telling the rabbits to cut it out!! Right now! Or else! Unfortunately Speckles totally ignores the rabbits in our yard. However, when a pair of mallard ducks fly into our little fish pond Speckles gets very angry. If they get out of the pond she will puff up and run at them until they get back in the water or fly away. Last year they had 13 ducklings in our pond which is only about 8'x12'. This year they returned again and we decided to discourage them from nesting here. The feathers and poop everywhere were not pleasant. Plus, they annoy Speckles.

• 15 years ago

Speckles was right! I understand that ducks are noisy,stinky and thier poop is real slippery.
    Oh but those duckling are SOOOOOOOO cute. I go on like I've never seen a duckling every year at the park's pond. PJ

• 15 years ago

The title of this thread is so darling

Blasted Rabbits!

• 15 years ago

I loved the rabbit videos. I had to share those with friends. I had no idea rabbits could jump so high, but I guess that is why God gave them those big strong back legs.

• 15 years ago

Rabbit Update: I am adding crunched up wads of chicken wire to back up the bird netting fence where it looks like the rabbits might be able to scootch under. Also found an obvious rabbit hole/nest under a pine tree which I filled with moth balls!!I used to think all the baby bunnies in the yard were cute....until they ate up my coreopsis and poppies! The rabbits tend to come out right at dusk and now they are greeted by me with the dip net and my husband with the long handled pool skimmer he uses in the fish pond! Wonder what the neighbors think as they see us swatting the nets and running around the yard as it gets dark. We haven't caught another one but I think they are getting the message that the welcome sign has been pulled up.

• 15 years ago

Caught another one in the dip net!! Yay!!

• 15 years ago

I'm imagining I'm the neighbor. First Peter Cottontail comes along and pole vaults into the flowers. Speckles is chasing ducks. And then here come the neighbors. He in his boxers and t-shirt, she in her house dress, bunny slippers and rollers. Dip and pool nets in hand they begin running around the yard, leaping and waving their nets, yelling about rabbits and parks.

After I quit laughing I look to see exactly HOW much tequilla Have I Had??

This forum is always so entertaining. You could sell tickets.
    Tally HO!