Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kesflower

How do I tell seedlings apart? :o( Mix ups

16 years ago

So I'm growing 6 different varieties of tomatoes from seed this year, and trying to sell about 100 plants. 4 Varieties I am reasonably sure that the markers are in the correct plants.

2 varieties, however, somehow lost some of their markers in the hardening off process (thanks mostly to some curious squirrels and hard winds and my own carelessness).

Those two varieties are Supersweet 100 VF hybrid and Cherokee Purple, an heirloom.

Is there any way that I can tell these apart, or am I doomed to not being able to sell any of them and knowing better next year? I tried my best to separate them out based on placement in the flats, but some of these did get mixed up, so I'm not 100% (shoot, or even 50%) sure.

Any help or advice?

Any surefire ways to mark them next year so that this does not happen?

Comments (9)

• 16 years ago

Before I fill any of my flats I flip them over and put on a piece of duct tape, then with an industrial strength sharpie I write the name. Duct tape doesn't come off and the sun can't bleach out ink on a label under the bottom of the flat. No missing markers and no faded ink.

Making markers should be one of the last things you do, not the first. Assuring that the flats are labeled correctly and permanently is the first thing you do before you fill and sow.

You can't guess with seedlings--the best case scenario is to divide the two by appeance and add an equal amount together in a pot and sell as a duo.

T

• 16 years ago

Unfortunately you can't tell them apart until they form clusters.

One way to make sure they don't get mixed up next year would be to mark the containers in some way (paint) or use different colored containers or put them in different trays and mark the trays. You can just use paint and mark them 1, 2, etc. then keep a key that says 1=Cherokee Purple, 2= SuperSweet 100 etc.

Good luck.

Randy

• 16 years ago

Sell them at half price and tell people they are one of two varieties but still good plants.

That way you don't take a total hit on them.

• 16 years ago

I'm growing some supersweet 100 myself. This is just a observation on my part but the leaves seem rounder looking than the typical regular leaf. :) Good luck.

Sumilea

• 16 years ago

Maybe this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato leaf scans

• 16 years ago

meershaum, thanks for the link. For those who have never inspected, it is surprising how much difference there is in the leaflet pattern from one variety to the next, with the possible exception of Potato Leaf varieties.

That said, some varieties have leaves that are very similar. I had a Celebrity and an Early Girl in the same ebox last year, try as I might I could not positively identify one plant from the other. There was as much variation in the leaves within the same plant as there was between plants.

• 16 years ago

I like that link Meershaum!

A few centuries back tomatoes were grown as ornamentals--the leaves are quite attractive and I think they're distinctive.

• 16 years ago

I ran across that site a couple of years ago, it might have even been from a posting here, but as soon as I saw it I bookmarked it right away thinking "That is going to be useful someday!"

• 16 years ago

Duct tape and different colored containers, both great ideas. As is the idea to sell them together for half price. If only they weren't on total opposite ends of the spectrum size wise *lol* live and learn, right?

and I like that link, but since they're all still pretty small, the leaves are still hopelessly the same.