Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldalgebra

Seasonal Poster Change

14 years ago

The first 15 years of my 38-year teaching career was spent teaching first grade. When I started, the small paperback books called pre-primers were still being used to teach reading to first graders. And the large BIG BOOKS (large poster-sized books that mimic the individual beginning readers) were still sold to school districts so that teachers could use them for large group reading instruction.

So when I saw one of the Big Book pages from the old Dick and Jane series framed and hanging in an antique shop, I visited it for months and months until it was offered at a more reasonable price. This is the page I originally purchased (page 4 from one of the original books) and it started me on a little quest that has lasted for more than 5 years thus far. The page/poster went very well with all the colors in the room, but it didn't seem quite right hanging on the wall during the spring and summer months.

{{gwi:1407193}}

So I searched eBay and found another page (page 21). I hang it during the warmer months.

{{gwi:1407195}}

Then I came across a December page from a calendar that the Dick and Jane publishers (Scott Foresman) used to give away to teachers. I added some text and had it enlarged. It hangs in the "poster spot" during the month of December.

{{gwi:1407197}}

Next, I enlarged a page from the first grade reader (Fun with Dick and Jane). It hangs during Southern California's rainy season (which is going on right now, as you may have heard).

{{gwi:1407198}}.{{gwi:1407199}}

And now, you see my latest poster, another page from the reader, which I have modified by changing the paper cutouts to hearts and changing the text. It will hang for a few weeks during February.

{{gwi:1407200}}

After reading Jeanne's Baby Doll Post about how she changes a little here and there depending on the current holiday, I thought I might share.

Comments (13)

• 14 years ago

Very nice idea!! That's the book I learned to read from over 60 yrs ago!! Looks great on the wall & they were such "warm & fuzzy" feeling books. Will warm up the room all seasons now!! Jan

• 14 years ago

OA... I just LOVE your 'Dick & Jane' collection and the clever way you display them.
    Being a 'Jane' myself, those books were always special to me.
    I love how you added your own text and cutouts to fit the
    'Season/Occasion'.
    DH & I were babysitting for my DGdtr the other day. She's in second grade, and read us a book. We told her how well she read, and how we read 'Dick & Jane' at her age and how they read - 'See Spot Run...Run Spot Run' etc.. she got a big kick out of that. Now here you are showing your posters.
    I will definitely have to show her what you did.
    I think that first poster that went unpurchased for so long, was just waitng for you to bring it home! It truly was meant for you.

I collect old books, and had 'Fun With Dick & Jane' for years, and when we moved everything went into storage for almost a year, and sadly that was one of the things that went missing.

Thanks for sharing this great idea OA...this was fun
    to see.

JANE >> who has a brother JACK !!

• 14 years ago

How adorable. Not only a unique collection of old prints, but a way to 'celebrate' with them. Terrific idea.
    I too learned to read on those old books, what a trip down Memory Lane this is. LOL.

hugs, Karen

• 14 years ago

Oh my gosh, I love, love, love those. What a good idea to blow up the pages, did you take it some where and have it done or do it yourself. I love the Dick and Jane books, the graphics are just to sweet. I have a lot of Bessie Pease Gutmann prints and plates and the children remind me of these.
    Syble

• 14 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh . . . what great memories, OA! Those posters are fantastic and I love that you have one for many times of the year. How special and unique! I hope that you can find one someday for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I think your Dick, Jane & Sally art is wonderful! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Lynn

• 14 years ago

OA...I LOVE your framed art! What an original use of "big books" ... and making your own pages to fit the season! I learned to read with "Dick & Jane" also. A while before I retired from the library, the "Dick & Jane" books came back into print... an great addition to the Easy Fiction (lots of Grandma's & GP's ckg. those out!) LOL! SUCH FUN to see that! Love that you used the Big Book concept for your art...kids always had fun with the BIG books! And, thank you, for 38 yrs! Teachers are the BEST! TFS! Jeanne S.

• 14 years ago

Oh OA! You are "dating" us!! I, too remember learning to read from the Dick & Jane books and just love those posters! What a great idea! And especially, that you thought to change them up for the seasons. Now that is "artwork" with meaning!

I also wanted to ask about the curly willow (?) sticks in the background of one of your pics. I have my eye on something similar in a local store but they don't have lights. Did you add the lights to yours and if so, how?

Thanks!

DD

• 14 years ago

DD,

I got the twigs with the lights at a store called Kirkland's Home. It's a chain. I saw them "on sale" when I was in the store and was told they were the last ones, had no box and I could have them for 19.99. So I said I wanted them. When they rang them up, the bill was for over $40, as there were two in the display. I could really use another one, but not at that price! I got them for New Year's decorations, but like them so much that I've left them up. I was in the store again last week, and guess what? I saw another one on display. Hmmmmm. These are real twigs and they are very, very, very fragile. Indoor use only and they can't be moved or rearranged easily, as I am afraid I'll snap one.

A couple of years ago I bought some indoor/outdoor ones they were on a wire wrapped with brown tape, They could be bent and arranged easily. They had lights at the tip of each branch. I stuck them in pots outside, in with other bush-like plants and they blended well. HOWEVER, they were LEDs. My husband hated the lights, as he believed the white lights to be too severe, so out they came. They were by Phillips.
    As I said, I didn't have a box with these, so don't know the manufacture.

The next time I'm in the store I'll check to see if they still the "the last one" and will probably get it, as I think the arrangement is too sparse.
    Hope this helps.

• 14 years ago

What fantastic art work! Bet all your friends love it when they see these! That is so great that you are able to have one for each season/holiday. You are just so clever!

I need to find one of those books for little GD now that she is trying to learn to read. I always loved the pictures and Dick, Jane, Sally, and Spot always seemed to be part of such a nice family. ;o)

Luvs

• 14 years ago

Thanks OA for the info on the twigs/lights. I was hoping YOU had put the lights on and could tell me how you did it. I might just get the ones I have my eye on even if I don't put lights on them. The ones I want are regular $23.99 marked half-price so I think it is a good deal. I only see one "batch" of them though so even if they look sparse, that'll be it for me unless I can add some other kind of real twigs - maybe pussywillows in the spring.

DD

• 14 years ago

This is so fun to be taken back to the first grade and see the pages I remember reading. I love the fact that you taught and still have a love for this. I can tell you are one of the Special teachers that was there for the right reason.

I'm trying to teach DGD to read and I have the book "Rug Bug", I think and she's pretty well mastered it. Very simple but I'm not a teacher. I bought her flash cards for Christmas and haven't heard how well she' doing with them. I would love any suggestions you have to offer and sounds like Luvs would too.

Jeanne, thanks for your Baby Doll post to bring this post about.LOL These forums are so inspiring!!!

Punk

• 14 years ago

I love it (Especially the fact that you taught for 38 years! I am a teacher too). When my son was born eight years ago I wanted something different for his nursery. We did a Dick and Jane theme. I found a "retro" Dick and Jane calender and framed the prints. I also found some fabric that we used for valances and a quilt. My favorite thing about his room was the stencils I cut myself (so much work) so they would match the font in the books. All around the room it said "See Drexler run. See Hank (our dog) and Drexler jump." etc. It was so darn cute. Since then, I have see many fancy magazines advertise this look. Your idea is a cute one and makes me want to go dig out those prints!

• 14 years ago

I love that, so original and personal! While I am certainly familiar with the primers, since that's what I used back when, I had no idea there were big books for the teachers. Lovely idea for decor.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions