Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleymagpie

New buys this month!

15 years ago

I am getting SOOO tired of living out of boxes! Our house isn't going to be ready for at least another month...but DH has been building shelves in the garage--one is a monster that will hold 28 big Sterilite bins (of course his tools are on the shelves right now) but I had to celebrate this month by SHOPPING! Here are some pix...

Easter items: Beautiful Steubenville bowl for $2.50. I'd love some more of this pattern. although I am usually not partial to yellow. Turquoise glass bunny box, $1.00. A peculiar photo that I couldn't resist--it's pretty old--25 cents. I hope I can use it in an Easter vignette (I'm new to vignettes, so may need some help with this).

Christmas items (#1): Set of glass Christmas dishes (12 plates, 12 salad plates, 8 cereal bowls) for $5.00, Christmas platter with bell/pine cone design, 50 cents; small frosted tree plate, 25 cents; chrome basket with sparkly edge, 35 cents.

Christmas items (#2): Sparkle-covered wicker basket, 50 cents; winter-scene stein (from Japan), 25 cents; sparkly grapevine wreath, 50 cents; pine-cone decorated mugs, $1.00.

Christmas items (#3): Christmas wastebasket (It's wrinkled around the top but I think I can edge it with something), 25

cents; Santa platter, $1.00

Fall and Thanksgiving items: Oil painting of squirrels, $2.00; family of grouse (free with receipt program at our local SA store); three of thirteen gourds, $1.00 for all; leaf bowl, $1.00. Turkey platter, $3.00.

Comments (16)

• 15 years ago

Oh my goodness, you hit the JACKPOT. WOW. What a great haul you made. I hardly know where to start. Tho I need to check my own stash, cause it looks like you snuck over and shopped for a few things here. LOL. I have that silver sparkly wicker basket from GW, the sparkly grapevine wreath, and a glass bunny box like that (tho mine is clear.)
    How cool we have some of the same goodies to play with.

That old rabbit photo will be perfect in a vintage looking Easter vignette. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    I'm also new to doing holiday vignettes and love getting ideas and inspiration for them here.

Your turkey platter is my favorite thing, and unbelievable price you paid. Everything is so wonderful, and I want to go shopping with you!!

hugs, Karen

• 15 years ago

You did well!
    And shopping always makes me feel much better!

• 15 years ago

You sure found some great things and bargain prices. I also have a silver, sparkly basket like that--came from Bath and Body works full of lotions for Christmas a few years back! I saved it because it was "sparkly". That turkey platter is gorgeous, love it! And what a deal on that set of plates too. The leaf plate, the birds, the gourds, the santa plate, the bunny pic, gosh really all of it--very good finds. Enjoy! Luvs

• 15 years ago

Thanks all for your nice comments...knowing I "did good" inspires me to do more (LOL!)

Karen,
    Interesting how we found the same basket in the Southwest and the Northwest! It's probably GOOD that we don't live close--if we went shopping together we'd probably home in on the same item...

Kathleen,
    And shopping is cumulative. The more you do, the better you feel!

Luvs,
    I'm going to use my wicker basket for greens on the front deck in the winter. I'm more of a plaids-and-tweeds kind of gal, but every girl needs some sparkle now and again!

- Magpie

• 15 years ago

Magpie, I want, no I NEED to shop with you. What great things, and how I envy the fact that you're going to have a place to stash them. - Gail

• 15 years ago

Love the bunny picture and the quail family. What fun!
    OA

• 15 years ago

You guys are all too funny. Gail and Karen, too bad we DON'T live closer...after reading all about Karen and Luvs and their shopping trip, wouldn't that be FUN!

When I moved here I had no idea it was such a mecca for a dedicated secondhand shopper like I am. Seven thrift stores, an every-weekend inside (large) flea market, a huge annual citywide yard sale, an antiques and collectibles fair, a year-round craft mall (with reasonable prices!) and several quirky shops with really one-of-a-kind merchandise.
    And of course lots of yard and charity rummage sales.

Come one, come all! If you ever make it to southern Oregon (it's a beautiful place to see) drop me an email...

- Magpie

• 15 years ago

Nothing like a 'Spoon Full Of Shopping' to make one feel better. You did great with your fabulous buys, and so many great things to play with. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
    jane

• 15 years ago

Wow! Magpie, that sure sounds like my kind of place. I'll have to keep that in mind if DH and I ever head the motorhome up that direction again! I'll email you and you can tell me where to go shopping! LOL I too will look forward to seeing these items in your future tablescapes and vignettes. Luvs

• 15 years ago

Magpie, you just described what sounds like Heaven to me.
    I'd LOVE to live there. Actually OR is the ONLY place I've ever really wanted to go and just visit even. But all my family is right here in Phoenix, so I can't move. And I'm unable to travel either. So its Oregon in my dreams and that means no shopping goodies. Darn.

hugs, Karen

• 15 years ago

I'm not sure about values on most of the items, but I know you got a steal on that stein. My grandmother had a collection of "Japan" nick nacks, including several steins, and when she passed away they were valued at $5.00 to $8.00 each at her estate sale. If "Japan" was stamped on the bottom, the price was lower. But if it was embossed in the pottery, the value was higher. I have my grandma's collection of steins and I just love them!

• 15 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for looking at my things!

Karen,
    We love living here in a smaller town than the metropolis of Southern California where we came from (seems like one big city). And we're lucky that we are both closer to family. But I wouldn't sell Phoenix shopping short...I've seen some PRETTY GOOD stuff in your pictures!

Blizlady...Isn't it interesting? "Made in Japan" used to be considered junk. I could tell the stein was nice quality, loved the colors, and would like more (I'll keep my eye out). It is packed away for my move, but if I recall, "Japan" appears to have been "scratched" into the bottom before the pottery was dry. How lucky you are to have a collection!

- Magpie

• 15 years ago

Magpie,
    A great haul!! Love the little green rabbit dish. And the gourds! I cant wait to see how you decorate with all the goodies you have been showing us!

Mo

• 15 years ago

I am in love with the yellow dish...gotta' go see if I can find out more information! You really found a haul!

• 15 years ago

Don't you JUST love bargains??

• 15 years ago

0k, I love it all, but the grouse family would really be happier here with me. Just go ahead and ship them on to me now. OK? OK!
    Betty

Sponsored
More Discussions