Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19699164

Washing stuffed animals

18 years ago

What is the best way to clean stuffed bears? They are not antiques just some care bears I have had in storage for 15 years. Kind of dusty and a little musty. I want to give them to my new Grandaughter but they need more than a vacuum. Can I put them in the washer?

Thanks, Ronnie

Comments (5)

• 18 years ago

It probably depends on what they are stuffed with. If it is polyester batting, they would probably dry pretty fast, but if it's some kind of cotton, it might be difficult to dry them. Would it be possible to just put them in the dryer on air or low heat (briefly) to get the dust out and any musty odors? Or maybe just give them a scrub on the outside, then to the dryer. If they have any plastic parts, they could be damaged bumping around in the dryer.

Also, you could to a test on one bear to see how it goes...the sacrificial bear! LOL! How fun to share these bears with your GD.

• 18 years ago

I clean stuffed animals one at a time. I take a large metal mixing bowl, fill it with lukewarm water and a TINY bit of dishwashing soap ot make a LIGHT amount of suds. Then I soak the animal after swishing/squeezing it around a bit. Come back later and then squeeze out the soapy water gently, fill the bowl and keep refreshing the water as I squeeze out the dirty/soapy stuff.

Once the water comes back clean and not soapy, I squeeze out the animal, then wrap it in an old thick towel and squeeze some more. Changing towels if I have to to get rid of the bulk of the wet. Then I put it in a warm place that has good air circulation, turning it occasionally to allow it to dry in all areas.

This is obviously a technique for your average sized stuffed animals, not the big massive ones.

I agree with the 'sacrificial bear' idea. Pick the least precious one to practice on.

I've done with with animals both tiny and medium sized. Stuffed with poly or even plastic beads. A gentle hand is the trick.

And I would do them seperately because there is no way in knowing if there is going to be any dye leakage when you hit them with water. Wouldn't want a dark animal to stain a lighter one.

I surface or spot wash anything that is minor. I save this one for the truly dirty animals that have fur or coverings that are not delicate. Nothing painted, electronic, glued body parts, etc.

• 18 years ago

I usually spot clean stuffed animals then wash them with a little bit (only a little bit, so the soap rinses out) of Woolite. Then place each animal in their own pillow case with a tennis ball, clamped or tied at the top and toss them in the dryer. I only do this when needed, like when a nephew bite the nose of a bear when he has lollipop stickiness on his face. (fun fun)

• 18 years ago

Make sure that if you put them in the drier that you use the very lowest temp setting. The fur is often heat sensitiave and will "melt."

• 18 years ago

If the bear is wet when placed in the drier....the evaporation will keep it cool, but when it gets totally dry, even if your dryer is set on low the bear can get too hot.
    So....I would put the drier on hot.....and watch carefully and remove when it gets close to dry.
    Linda C

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America