Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodie2

New Year's Eve

16 years ago

Hi folks - I'm a 'sneakover' from the Cooking Forum and was introduced to Holidays from Kathleen and I have to say how much I love coming here to see all your beautiful pictures!

I wonder if you would have any ideas or comments (or pictures) for a New Year's Eve dinner table setting. We're having 6 people and I'll still have my home decorated for Christmas, but I think I'd like something different on the dining room table for New Year's Eve. I'm thinking something in silver and/or gold? I don't think I have an appropriate tablecloth, so I might have to run out to the store and so I guess I'm starting from scratch. I don't want to use my Christmas dishes, maybe I'll use my white dishes with gold chargers as a starting point. For Christmas I received 6 silver ball Christmas ornament placecard holders and maybe I could use those.

I'd love to hear if you would have any special ideas. I don't think I want my red and gold table setting that looked so beautiful for Christmas but I'm seriously decorating challenged and I thought this seemed like a great place to ask for help. Thanks everybody for any comments you might have.

Comments (30)

• 16 years ago

Woodie2' I think "putting on the glitz" is fun for New Year's Eve. It sounds like you have a great start with the gold chargers and white plates. Those would look really great on a black tablecloth with black napkins. You could make napkin rings with gold or silver sparkly braid from the craft or fabric store. Tie a knot in each end - unravel the ends. Then just tie the cord around the napkins with a square knot. It looks really glitzy and pretty. The placecard holders sound great,too. Then just bring out anything sparkly that you may have - crystal, silver, gold. And lots of candles. Just an idea. Hope it gives you other ideas. I have a black tablecloth that I've also used for an Asian inspired meal. I've also used it with black and white toile inspired fabric for a "French" theme. It also works for Halloween. It just depends on how you accessorize it.
    At first I thought a black tablecloth was wierd but it has turned out to be very versatile.

• 16 years ago

Hi Woodie,
    I had this pic I did with white and silver, used glasses that were Marie's mom's filled with baby's breath. Very simple. You could fill a lot of glasses with one bunch! Maybe you can get an idea...the silver balls would look nice with something like this..and some silver ribbon swirled or silver scatters..lots of votive candles....

This is the one I did with black white and gold....The undercloth is black fabric, 1.00 a yard from Walmart..gold chargers..
    Just trying to give you some ideas...

• 16 years ago

Oooooh, thanks! I'm loving the idea of a black tablecloth and sparkly braid to make napkin rings - maybe a tuxedo accent somehow and I love white baby's breath and maybe some more gold silver glitz around. Thanks so much Delphinium and Kathleen - I really needed some ideas - you've given me a great start!

• 16 years ago

Wow...beautiful table settings! We are invited to a friend's home for new year's eve and I think I will try to do those cute tuxedo bags that are on your table Kathleen. Did you purchase those, or make those up with black bags.

• 16 years ago

Here's a New Year's place setting I was playing around with today as I was putting my Christmas dishes away.
    {{gwi:1459131}}

• 16 years ago

Kathleen, both of those settings look so elegant, you always have just the right things to go together well.

Delphinium, love those dishes with all the gold on them. Are they an heirloom or new ones you purchased. I just love them and your setting is very pretty too.

Luvs

• 16 years ago

blizlady..I got them in the Dollar Tree in the wedding section. I did them for a friend's anniversary dinner, but they would work for New Years too.
    Delph, beautiful china!

• 16 years ago

Delphinium - THANKS SO MUCH for your picture and idea! I will try my darndest to find a black tablecloth and napkins in the next couple of days - gosh I hope I can! Wish I lived close enough to borrow your tablecloth and china, LOL. But, I think I can manage with what I already have, but I do NEED a black background - that really just calls out to me :) Fabric I can get, I'm sure, but I don't have a sewing machine to do a hem (and I'm not interested in sewing anyway :)

• 16 years ago

You can just use the iron on tape to do the hem--nice and easy. Or even just cut the fabric with pinking shears and don't bother to hem at all. Good luck with your table, hope you will come post pics of it here for us to see. Luvs

• 16 years ago

Once again, I'm amazed by the pictures! But, for once, I though the right way about the New Year's colors: black, silver, gold, white...

• 16 years ago

If you can't find an actual black tablecloth, you might be able to rework some inexpensive black curtain panels...?

--Jenn

• 16 years ago

Great ideas Luvs and Jenn - thanks so very much.

• 16 years ago

I posted something for Woodie last night, late...I don't see it.
    Woodie, I suggested stitch witch, or Linensnthings, I even linked it. They have black tablecloths very reasonable!

• 16 years ago

Thanks Kathleen - I'm going out shopping tomorrow - wish me luck. Delphinium, I keep going back to your beautiful place setting - I just love it!

• 16 years ago

Woodie2
    Good luck finding the black tablecloth. I've seen them many places. I need 70" width for my table which is hard to find so I've had good luck at Hancock Fabrics with their tablecloth fabric.
    The dishes I've picked up slowly over the years at the local "antique" malls and on E-bay when I see a good price.
    They're Royal Crown Derby "Vine"
    I'm glad the picture gave you some ideas. Have a happy New Year.

• 16 years ago

delph...I need 70 wide also. Linensnthings has them..I don't know where you live but I also got some at Fortunoffs.

• 16 years ago

Hey woodie!

I needed a HUGE black tablecloth for a party I had a few years ago and bought a black king sized sheet. It worked REALLY well and was cheap since I didn;t care about thread count.

If you haven't found somethign yet - try Tuesday Morning (or one of those type stores) they will probably have something.

Good luck and your party sounds like a blast!

Alexa

• 16 years ago

Thanks, Alexa, and everybody. I got the tablecloth yesterday at BedBathBeyond - I never knew black was so popular - there were 3 cloths to choose from. I had 6 coupons to use up and so got a nice discount. Then I went to Michael's craft shop and the dollar store and JCPenney and cleaned up on their Christmas 70% sale racks :) I got little clear plastic Christmas trees with gold and silver stars and trim for the table, some pretty gold and white pearlized beads, some white and gold braided napkin ring ties with gold jingle bells on the end and some wide sheer gold ribbon and some gold and silver garland (like in Delphinium's picture) - all for the table and chandelier.

I'll take pictures but since I don't have a digital camera, I'll have to scan them and then ask Kathleen to post them for me :) It might take a while to use up the roll in our old fashioned camera :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Tablecloth

• 16 years ago

I'd be happy to do that for you Woodie. We like pics here, and I will do anything to help the cause!
    And I will be just as happy to nag you via email to get a digi cam. I love mine, and through the kindness of Sandi from this board learned how to post! It has changed dh's life..he never gets a hot meal as I have to take a pic first, LOL
    Here's a closeup of my chandy, gold sprays from Michaels, ribbon, etc.

• 16 years ago

Oh, I like the way you decorated the chandelier Kathleen. I always want to decorate mine, but never sure what to do with it. I'll have to keep this in mind for next time. Luvs

• 16 years ago

Woodie2
    We'll be waiting for those photos!
    Kathleen,
    Lovely chandelier!

• 16 years ago

Kathleen, You know I love both of your tables. And I thought the tuxedo boxes were a wonderful idea. I so wish our Walmart still sold fabrics. I went to Joann's a few weeks ago and a black and white fabric they had that I wanted for a simple tablecloth would have cost $30. That's just too much. Your chandy is so prettily decorated. I always forget to take pics of mine. And I have such pretty little shades on mine shipped here from L I. ;~)

Delphinium, That is a beautiful place setting and I love, love your china. It is absolutely gorgeous. You and Kathleen both gave Woodie some great ideas.

Woodie, I'm so glad you found everything you needed for your table. And for sure we will all be waiting on pics. Glad you made it over here. And welcome.

• 16 years ago

Sandi, if you have a linensnthings they are having a big sale, and a 20 off coupon. I think you could get one for less than 10 dollars...

• 16 years ago

Kathleen, Thanks for the heads up on linensnthings. We do have one here. I'm looking for a black on white patterned tablecloth. Something like a paisley or toile or even floral. I will probably have to make it though. I'll just wait until I find some fabric on sale.

• 16 years ago

Sandi,
    I got a lovely toile like design tablecloth at Target last year. You might check there. It was very reasonable.

• 16 years ago

Delphinium, Oooh, thank you. I don't make it to Target too often as it is across town from me and the traffic around there is terrible, but I do love going there.

• 16 years ago

I would like a toile too, have been keeping my eye open for one or fabric. No luck so far!

• 16 years ago

OMG - it's no easy task to get all those beads opened and all that fishing line that they're strung with and tied in funny places and if you're not careful you'll cut the string and have beads dancing all over the house, oy vey! And then there's tying the bows on my chandelier - little gold sparklies all over the dining room - whose idea was this anyway? I am learning that I am NOT Martha :)
    (But don't think I'm not having fun anyway.)

• 16 years ago

Aw come on, Woodie, get out the dustbuster. A little hint, I tie the bow first then fasten it to the draped ribbon with a straight pin...
    I hope you are going to do a Valentines table!!!

• 16 years ago

Woodie, Sorry, but you have me laughing. Been there done that with the beads. LOL Your table and chandelier are going to be beautiful and we all want to see it.

I went to Dollar Tree this afternoon to look for the little tuxedo boxes. I thought I remembered our store having the hot pink evening dress box, but they didn't have any kind of the little boxes.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions