Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikea_gw

DIY install granite vanity top?

15 years ago

I want to replace our old laminate countertop with a granite top. It is a small bath with just 25 inch wide vanity. I want to get a undermount sink so there is slightly more counter space. Is this installation something I can tackle myself or I need professionals to do it? The vanity is in a good shape but I wonder if I need another support for the top and the sink beyond the 4 sides of the vanity. Anyone has done this before?

Comments (18)

• 15 years ago

We bought our marble vanity tops pre-made at HD and installed them ourselves. They aren't as thick as the granite in my kitchen so we weren't too concerned about the weight. We used silicone caulking on the top of the cabinets to hold the stone in place. The top came with 2 pieces of backsplash - one for the back and one for the side, but using them is optional.

The biggest problem I had was buying the wrong undermount sinks. I ended up going back to HD and buying the Kohler ones they recommended when they sold me the marble because, even though I thought I'd measured pretty carefully, the Toto sinks I bought originally just didn't fit the holes correctly.

Good luck!

• 15 years ago

Also, the Pegasus granite tops sold by HD come with pre-installed undermount sinks.

• 15 years ago

Yadax3, how thick is the marble top? I actually like the look of marble more than that of granite. If you don't mind, can I ask how much the pre-made marble top costs at home depot?

• 15 years ago

My marble vanity tops are 37" wide x 22" deep x 7/8" thick and they cost $125 - $150 each several years ago. It's hard to remember as it was several years ago.

If your vanity cabinets are 25" wide you'll need 26" wide tops because you need 1/2" overhang on each side. I don't know what sizes they carry any longer. Heck - I didn't even know you could buy them with the sink attached now.

• 15 years ago

When we updated our Powder Room, the vanity we selected came with a granite top however we needed it resized.

A local granite shoppe was able to make a new one using a remnanat and drilled the faucet and drain holes specificaly for our installation. It is from a more colorful stone and cost, as I recall $200. DH installed it giving a custom installation. I don't believe any additional support was necessary.

If you have a fabricator locally speak with them - I'm sure if you give them your measurements, the sink and faucet they can create what will work with your vanity. Here are a couple photos of ours.

Good luck.

{{gwi:1472945}}

{{gwi:1472946}}

• 15 years ago

I would echo what fnmroberts just said. Check with your local fabricators/stone yards to see what remnants they might have.

I am just today picking up my completed vanity top from the fabricator. It was a miscut kitchen island that was in their leftover pile and had beautiful color and a deep ogee edge already on it. I brought them my faucet and vessel sink for them to cut the holes. They are also providing two 4" backsplashes.

It is a 37" x 22" Antique Gold granite top for $150. I'll be DIY the install.

When we had a granite top put in a powder room at our last house, the installer simply siliconed the top to the vanity so that is what I plan to do this time. If something else needs to be done, I hope that someone chimes in. : )

Hopes this helps!

Sandy

• 15 years ago

Re-reading your post made me want to comment on the tiny size of your vanity and your sink selection:

In our previous powder room, our vanity was the same size as yours. We went with a 12" round vessel sink and were SO pleased with the amount of counter that gave us! There was lots of usable space under/around the sink!

We got our sink off of eBay from a dealer that makes copper sinks in Mexico. The 12" round sink was $99 and was either 16 or 18 gauge hand-hammered copper.

We got tons of compliments on it and it was one of the items that the buyers of that home fell in love with.

Best of luck!

Sandy

• 15 years ago

Doing what the last two posters did would definitely give you the flexibility to choose whatever faucet and sink you want. The tops I found at HD just happened to have holes cut for the widespread faucets I'd already purchased. But a single lever faucet like the one in the photo might be perfect for a smaller vanity.

It sounds like there are a ton of options these days. Back when I remodeled I couldn't even find honed granite or soapstone locally but now they are commonly available and are just two of many new options. It almost makes me want to start all over again :)

• 15 years ago

I called around and the best price I can get is $300 with the sink attached for 26 by 22 with 3 inch backsplash on the back and one side. Granted I live in one of the expensive areas in the country, it still seems quite high. What do you guys think? I definitely like the one lever faucet. It is easier to clean around it and it gives us more counterspace.

• 15 years ago

The price for your granite seems in-line to me. You're talking a custom fit and the basin attached. Ours was $200, approximately the same size and that was two years ago. My DH did all the installation.

• 15 years ago

I am interested in finding out if anyone knows where I can get inexpensive granite vanity top for double sinks.

• 15 years ago

grevay, I have found pretty good deals on double sink vanities on craigslist. Often these are brand new, ordered but never installed.

• 15 years ago

Hmm now I got another quote from a local stone place. $550 with my installation. This seems awfully high considering I need at most 6 sqft of granite. What do you guys think?

• 15 years ago

Where are you located, ikea_gw?

• 15 years ago

Washington DC metro area.

• 15 years ago

We've installed the Pegasus Granite Vanity in the upstairs bathroom. Where I'm puzzled is what to use when sealing the seams between the 4" splashes and the counter. After a bit of research I've come up with two options.

1-use the sanded silicon caulk I used to seal around the tub with the tile surround. It will match the color of the granite well.

2- use clear silicon caulk. It should be nearly invisible and let the granite show through.

Did I miss any options? How did you folks address sealing the seams?

Thanks for any help.

• 15 years ago

We have two vanities in the house with Pegasus granite from HD -- they are wonderful! One is a speckled brown and one is blue (the most $$$ but very beautiful). They come with an attached undermount sink.

To answer your question, we used clear caulk.

• 15 years ago

spam, no youtube link. J8rk.