Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzydivine

Ethan Allen, yay or nay on quality? Bernhardt?

15 years ago

Looking at a media stand, buffet, and upholstered chairs from Ethan Allen. How is the quality these days? When my mom brought furniture when I was younger, it was great- still so? Its not exactly cheap, so I just wanted to hear others experiences. Also looking at a buffet from Bernhardt?

Comments (4)

• 15 years ago

Ethan Allen today is not what it was 20 years ago. Back then the case goods were mostly clunky solid wood and the styles were largely variations of Early American and Colonial styles. Now there is less emphasis on the solid wood and Early American has virtually disappeared. Where the company used to pride itself on keeping a collection going for 20 or more years, now the company is more focused on constant change and more diversity in styles. They have both traditional and contemporary styles. In addition there is a very strong emphasis on accessory items.
    I do not consider Ethan Allen to be a "high end" company but they are near the top end of the "mid priced" furniture manufacturers. One good reason for shopping them is if you need interior design help. Their sales staffs are far more knowledgeable about interior design than those you find at typical retailers.

Bernhardt is another excellent "top of the mid-priced" furniture lines. Over the years Bernhardt has specialized more in contemporary styles, and they have many beautiful designs. Unfortunately much of their wood furniture is coming from Asia these days.

• 15 years ago

My husband won't let me buy Ethan Allen furniture anymore. Our house looks like an EA showcase only because it is one of the only furniture stores in my small town. Twelve years ago I bought some pieces from the Legacy collection including the sleigh bed, which has held up great and still looks good. My son's bedroom furniture from EA kids is also wearing well. Two years ago bought a kitchen table and chairs from the Tango collection. I'm on my 3rd table, 1st one the base cracked, 2nd one the top did not match up where the leaf met the table. I have the black chairs from Tango - the finish is terrible and they look like @#@#, not durable at all. I've also had about 3 of them replaced - cracked legs and cracked seat base, the 3rd one I just had repaired today as a matter of fact. In May, I bought the dining room set from Modern Glamour collection. The veneer along the side of the table came unglued, probably due to the Western sun it's exposed to, but that's no excuse. I'm having that repaired today so I'll see how it holds up. I'm extremely disappointed in the table since I really like it, but I feel I've been rippied off. The buffet from that collection also had to be repaired since the veneer was cracked when it arrived. So my vote is nay. Good luck.

• 15 years ago

Nix on Ethan Allen quality, and I don't like the way they're running their stores these days either.

Bernhardt, not so familiar with them but apparently they have different levels. We tried the lower level in a chair only because we thought it was so comfy. Got it home and realized it was a total piece of junk, so returned it.

• 15 years ago

Nay on Ethan Allen. I purchased livingroom and diningroom furniture 3 years ago and regret it. The designer committed some design faux pas and it took many phone calls to return 2 end tables that were much too tall for the couch. I have a round rattan end table as a replacemen and it is cracking. The retreat leather roll arm sofa is very uncomfortable and I am saving for a replacement. The chandelier istoo big for the space. My husband is tall nd looks into the bottom of the chandelier when he sits at the dr table. I purchased 4 black windsor arm chairs and I have had them repaired at least 6 times. The spokes come unglued repeatedly and I only use the chairs about 10x/yr. I will never shop at Ethan Allen again. At least the designer I worked with in the Skokie IL store no longer works or the company.