Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

I Can't Enjoy GW Anymore :( Hope Someone Has The Answer

11 years ago

SEVERAL months GW added the ability to let people upload photos directly from their computer, in addition to the old way of linking from an online photo gallery. But for some reason I'm not able to see the pictures people upload from their computer. I can still see the original method of embedding photos but fewer and fewer people are doing that since it's so much easier to upload from one's computer. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I asked this question months ago. A few others had the same problem but no one knew of a solution. I've been on these board for nearly 11 years and miss getting to see everyone's kitchens, bathrooms and "decorating".
I'm online via HughesNet Satellite.
Thanks,
Monica

Comments (18)

• 11 years ago

what browser and OS are you using?

the images i've uploaded work but are resized; confusing

• 11 years ago

Have you sent a question in to GW ? See 'contact us' in Instructions right under the posting box.

• 11 years ago

When I use the upload box from my iPhone the pictures post sideways. It's annoying! There are definitely some glitches with that.

• 11 years ago

I had that at first and had to soften one of my Firefox addon settings--have to be careful not to get the ads or popups but just enough to see the pictures. I don't remember what it was...if you're using FF with some blocking stuff I can look further and see if I can find it .

• 11 years ago

lee, I'm using FF. Version 17 right now but it's done it with each version for the last 9 months or so.

angela, I sent a question in when this first started. No reply. The other people that were having the problem said they got one response either. I guess I'll try resubmitting the problem.

fori, I started FF in safe mode, which disables all add ons. Problem remained. I can't see just tweaking one of them would work but here is a list of what i have if you see one that looks familiar.
    Extensions:
    ABP
    All in One Sidebar
    Autofill Forms
    Clearly
    Colorfultabs
    deskcut
    download status bar
    Evernote
    Fasterfox
    Garmin Communicator
    IE View

• 11 years ago

Hm. If ABP is Adblock PLus, that's the only one I have. But if that was it then it should have been disabled. (Is it an actual addon that gets disabled with addon disabling? I noticed I have an exception for GW in adblock with ::gardenweb.com^ permitted, but it had a box so clearly I had it blocked in the past. I'm still not getting popups or hotlinks based on messages or any ads with this box unclicked. Of course I also have script blocked.)

Just checked and I was running version 12--just updated to 18 and still no problem.

I assume you've checked to see that you get the pictures on IE or Chrome?

• 11 years ago

Oh, I just looked and adblock is an extension--is that or isn't that an addon?

Ten years ago I knew all this stuff...

This post was edited by fori on Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 16:50

• 11 years ago

I found that I have to disable AdBlockerPlus on the page I want to see pictures on. Right-click the toolbar icon and select Disable on this page" or "Disable on Gardenweb"

I would disable it for Garden Web completely, but some of the ads are really obnoxious.

• 11 years ago

I just tried it with addons disabled. Yeah Adblock is definitely one of those. Holy poop this site is a terror! I had no idea how frightening the internet has become! How would you even know you weren't seeing pictures with all the garbage floating all over? :O

• 11 years ago

I can't help you as I just got a new computer and am using Explorer and I see them now. I didn't see them with Firefox on my last computer.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that a lot of pictures are sideways or upside down and when I check the Properties, they are a gardeweb upload. Is there a way to see those right side up?

• 11 years ago

Marti, use a laptop or tablet and turn the machine to view. :P

I think those are smartphone photos that end up sideways. It's not you, it's them.

• 11 years ago

Pics are sideways because of the way they are taken by the phone. They need to be rotated. Before uploading. If that's not possible in the phone with an edit function then then it can be done in the computer. I get that a lot when dd sends photos of the kiddos. PITA but...

• 11 years ago

I can rotate pics easily on my phone.... but they show the right way up on my phone, even in threads where they appear sideways on the computer they look correct on my phone.

If I were to rotate them prior to posting I would have to guess which way to rotate them and then they would be sideways on the phone.

It's super frustrating because it's great functionality to take a snap on your phone and quickly upload it instead of having to download it to the computer first. If only it worked.

• 11 years ago

Do you not see what way the pic is showing up when you preview the message ?

• 11 years ago

Monica--Have you received a reply back from GW on this yet? If not, please try again! It's a bummer you can't see pics and can't hang out here. :(

• 11 years ago

The pics look like they are the correct way up from mobile devices even after they have posted.
    Looking from an iPhone or iPad everything looks perfect. Then you jump on the laptop and realize pics are sideways.

This has been happening to a bunch of people. I look on my phone (like now for example), and see a thread where everything looks perfect - then I jump on the laptop later and see all the photos are sideways.

So no, nothing you can do in a preview. It's a glitch between iPhone (and maybe other devices??) and Gardenweb.

• 11 years ago

I noticed that it matters which way I am holding the phone when I not only take the picture but when I upload it as to whether or not it will load sideways. I have adBlock and it is not interfering with viewing photos. But I cannot upload from my iPhoto because it will only post all of the letters and numbers to id the picture but not the picture itself. Frustrating! It worked at one time, oh well....

• 11 years ago

Download and use Google Chrome and see if that solves it - that way (in about two minutes of effort) you will know if it's related to Firefox.