Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry3_gw

Charlie's Soap & smelly Front loader

15 years ago

Before I go searching for Charlie's Soap (which will require a one hour drive to the bigger town near us for a bigger grocery store), can someone tell me if it has any fragrance in it?

I want to switch to this detergent as recommended in places on this forum for front loaders but it must be powder and fragrance free.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

Take a moment and look at the web site (see link below) for more information.

Unless you need to travel that 1-hour for something else, having it shipped may be less expensive than the gas it takes to travel that far. It's hypoallergenic.

I used two 80-load bags as a "test". Loved it so much I purchased the 5-gallon bucket (1,280 loads - should last us 3.5 years), which is shipped free.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlie's Soap

• 15 years ago

Like Grainlady, I tried 2 of the 80 load pkgs., then bought the Big Kahuna 1280 load 5 gallon bucket. I can't get Charlie's Soap anywhere near my home and I did try Whole Foods, which is approx. 1 hour from my house, based on others that have bought at Whole Foods...but, not the Ann Arbor store, they don't carry it. I would buy online with the free shipping.

• 15 years ago

I didn't actually see anything on the website that says it is fragrance fee. It says it is good for sensitive skin but maybe I missed where it says it is fragrance free. It does say it is "coconut based."

• 15 years ago

Hi Sherry, please write them taylor@charliesoap.com (yes, one 's'). Ask them if they add fragrance, I don't believe that they do.

Denise

• 15 years ago

I don't believe fragrance is added, but in the Data Sheet found at the web site (see link below) there is mention in the description of "a white powder with a faint odor". I'd agree there is a "faint odor" to the powder. I'm very sensitive to fragrance, and there is nothing left but the smell of clean wet clothes when you are done washing. But I agree, call or e-mail them for more information.

I add white vinegar to the rinse of kitchen and bath towels and use nothing else other than Charlie's Soap - pre-treat with Charlie's All-Purpose Cleaner - and use NO softeners - EVER.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Safety Data Sheet

• 15 years ago

I agree with the suggestion to call them... and I agree that there will be no smell on your laundry when done. Like Grainlady, I too used 2 - 80 load bags and then bought the bucket... I fully admit near the end of the first bag I was ready to chuck the stuff... I thought my laundry was scratchy... but then all of a sudden it became soft... no fabric softner, white vinegar sometimes... in synthetic loads in the dryer I will put ~1/10 of a dryer sheet soley to kill static in winter months...

pretreat with charlie's all purpose...

• 15 years ago

I think CS may be largely fragrance-free, but I don't think it's odor free. I certainly can smell a distinct, (and to me, unpleasant), residual odor from any load washed with CS. The smell has a vaguely solvent-y quality to it, which is not unexpected given the history of product and it's efficacy on fatty molecules.

It does a outstanding job at handling certain wash challenges (oils, grease, and body soil), but only does an average job for me on other stains. For that reason, along with the extra cost of CS, and the distinctive odor are why I don't use it on a more regular basis.

However, I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it out. Your perception or ability to detect any residual odor may be different from mine, and naturally your water chemistry will be different. No detergent works perfectly for everyone. The customer service at Charlie's is excellent, as well.

I have only used the powder and the All Purpose Liquid, so I've no experience with the liquid detergent product.

Molly~

• 15 years ago

Hi Molly, I find Charlie's very reasonably priced, especially compared to Tide. At .09 cents per load as compared to .23 cents or more per load.

Denise

• 15 years ago

I'm using CS for 2 weeks now and still loving it. We are still amazed b/c all of our laundry smells like new clothes when it comes out from dryer. CS has no fragrance. The powder inthe bag has soapy/detergent like smell but no perfumes and washes totally out. Wet laundry smells like wet fabric/cloth. This is best how I can describe it.
    I have big LG FL and found out I need to use 2 TBLS on my huge loads but thats O.K. w/me.Sometimes I have to do another extra rinse(on smaller loads).I like to wash the full loads only, there is no guessing on how much soap I need.
    My BF has very bad dermititis and has no problems, he really likes how he can smell the clean in the tlothes without all perfumes.

• 15 years ago

Sspye,

I don't know how much Tide you're using (and it must be a lot, either that or Tide is much more expensive than most big-name regular detergents), but my cost for using a regular big-brand powdered, non-HE detergent is under 3 cents per load, so Charlie's, at 9 cents, is much more expensive.

I haven't done any experimenting with using much less than the typical green scoop of CS. I probably could get the per load cost down somewhat if I did. But since it's stinky, and doesn't clean many types of soil very well for me, I reserve it for special cases where it's perfect.

Molly~