Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

How much shedding w/new wool rug?

12 years ago

Just received a new area rug for my DR and FR. Same brand, same style just different colors.

It is 100% wool from Capel. It is shedding like crazy! My sweeper canister gets full before I finish the 8x10 rug.

I also noticed that on the beige rug there are a few dark/black threads in a few spots. I thought it was a spec of dirt but its the thread. Also, just saw a red thread.

Then where it's bound on one edge the strands are kind of bare. I've only swept this rug 2x now - but I wouldn't expect to find a bare kind of spot where it's bound.

Am I being too picky? This rug was $1,250 and I ordered thru a decorator.

Comments (13)

• 12 years ago

DH bought a good quality wool rug when he was single. It resides in our living room, and is now about 25 years old. Except for the fringes, it still looks great (especially when just cleaned). The fringes are worse for wear because of being caught in vacuum cleaner brushes and in puppy jaws. ;-) Oh, and shedding? Yes...still...after 25 years. It's especially noticeable when we're down on the floor playing with the pups. It gets all over our clothing. (We have standard poodles; rug sheds, dogs don't. How ironic.)

Your rug's shedding should diminish but probably won't ever stop. And I don't think you're being too picky about the flaws. Share your concerns with your decorator and see what she can do for you.

• 12 years ago

I have 5 hand-tufted rugs in various sizes. None have stopped shedding completely after many years of use. Two are worse than the others. I guess they're relatively cheap for a reason.

I have a hand-knotted Oriental that doesn't shed. It wasn't cheap.

• 12 years ago

I've had several wool rugs that shed like crazy in the beginning. I can't say any of mine are particularly high quality, but I don't recall the highest quality one ever shedding and it's 15 years old now. I have a rug under my kitchen table and due to kids/spills, I've replaced it a few times - the latest one is a wool rug that cost probably $250 from HomeGoods. It was shedding so bad I thought I'd have to return it, but a few months later with regular vacuuming and it stopped.

• 12 years ago

I have several..actually 6 Oriental wool rugs which do not shed at all. Before that I had a hours full of wool carpet....which also didn't shed....but was old.
    Good quality shouldn't shed....and for $1200 it ought to be good quality. maybe the decorator took a big cut on the price. Complain!
    Linda c

• 12 years ago

My hand knotted rugs have never shed.

• 12 years ago

I have several hand-knotted wool rugs also, and none has ever shed.

• 12 years ago

Alas, I bought my Pottery Barn wool rug 8 years ago and it's still shedding like crazy. If I slack off on the sweeping, big, dust-bunny like formations of its fibers start to accumulate in the corners.

• 12 years ago

Lots.Sorry. Probably not what you want to hear.

I bought a wool rug from PB 4 years ago for our great room and it was still shedding even a month ago. I just replaced it with a customized-for-our-room plush area carpet rug. No more wool fuzzies and "dust" and much more fun to lounge on!

As far as the black and red threads--I would expect the ends of a few threads might show up here and there on occasion, but not in obvious numbers. And the threadbare edging on one side? Is it the whole side? Not acceptable. IMO

• 12 years ago

fishpants - no is isn't on the whole side. Probably just an inch or so but too me it's noticable. And I think with the price I paid it should be perfect. THat bare spot is going to bug the heck out of me.

I will call the lady I ordered it from and see what she says.

• 6 years ago

I just put in wool wall to wall the first few times I vacuumed it was OK now I vacuum and have to clean the throat of the vacuum cleaner after I vacuum a 4 ft. sq. really annoying I would advise to never buy wool. I'm going to see if I can return it.

• 6 years ago

Google hand knotted wool vs. Hand tufted wool. I will never purchase a hand tufted wool rug again. There is a reason why the cost is so reasonable/cheap for hand "tufted" wool rug.

• 6 years ago

I have a Karastan and a Pottery Barn rug, both bought at about the same time. The Pottery Barn rug is still shedding horribly and will probably be replaced soon with something that will not create it's own fuzz bunnies. They consistently clog my Roomba to the point it spews them all over the first floor if not emptied every 15 minutes.