Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Has anyone ever painted concrete floors?

16 years ago

Just wanting to find out how it turned out, and if you would recommend it. My house is on a slab, and I'm considering pulling up old, nasty carpet and painting the concrete (faux finish) instead of tiling.

Want to hear from those who have done this, please. Did you have it done professionally, or do it yourself?

Comments (5)

• 16 years ago

I don't know how it would look in a faux finish scheme, but I've had much better luck with the concrete stains. Concrete that I have painted has always peeled, sooner or later. It has however, always been exterior.

• 16 years ago

I used Muralo Quik-Tred in our utility/laundry area (concrete floor) 12 yrs ago. In the interim I did one quickie refresher coat in the walk path (which happens to be floor drain area too and yeah, our laundry sink has overflowed on occasion in that spot when someone left a rag in there and it clogged the sink drain when the washer was running.) Last year I repainted the entire floor to freshen it. There were small areas that had pulled up (pea size at most) but again, in the primary walk path. Overall I've been quite pleased with it, they have a nice color selection, and I have taken an old fashioned electric scrubber with rotating bristles to is when is was muddy from dogs and that didn't even phase it. I do keep a lot of rugs down (dogs beds are in there, and basement door to outside). If it were in my day to day living areas I probably wouldn't do it. It's very tough paint and has held very well but I don't know how well it would fly in areas that get much heavier use, such as rooms where furniture could slide around alot (a chair), table legs scrape it, etc. You might find yourself going crazy touching little spots up. I have used Muralo Super Tred (an oil-based formula for exterior). Used it on a rental concrete stoop that had ancient brown paint on it. Pressure washing just would not pull that brown paint off, so I opted to repaint over it. On sides of stoop and backs of steps it looks fresh as new, but on tops of steps and porch there are tiny (fleck size) areas where it's pulled off. (That porch is covered and someone protected from elements.) Also, the oil-based has more shine and would be more slippery than the water based Qwik Tread I used, which is a satin finish.

I have seen stained concrete in person (a new local salon I've been to did it during a remodel, very fancy inside and the floors look great, a really appealing look). If you check over in Home Decorating here and ask for photos, I know some members have done it themselves.

If you don't want tile, another option might be the novalis vinyl plank flooring that looks like wood. You can see a photo here.
    oceana did it herself and she paid .98 per sq foot at Lowe's . (It's noted further down in her post). That's about the 3rd room I've seen done in vinyl plank that mimics wood and all look very nice! (Can't beat that price, either ;)

• 16 years ago

As for wear, the info I've seen on the faux finish painting had several coats of polyurethane on it, so I'm thinking it would hold up better to wear. I'd love to do a small floor just to see if it would turn out o.k., before I try the whole house. I'm thinking maybe the back porch. If it doesn't turn out right, that's o.k., it's just a porch.

• 16 years ago

We painted (just straight paint) the concrete floor in the basement appartment in our old place. We just used Home Depot (maybe CIL?) cheap floor paint in a light sand colour. 2 coats... it stood up to daily wear for the 3 years we lived down there (including 2 dogs) and hardly had any scratches.

• 16 years ago

I have. I cleaned the floor well, primed with Kilz or Zinnser...depending on what I had on hand. I used a cheapo Porch and Floor paint from Home Depot, I think, in Steel Gray.
    The pics make it look bluer than in real life, but it's held up OK considering the dogs. If I didn't have those nails peeling out, it would still look new! The first pic is a spare bedroom, and the color is more accurate.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH