Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Another Where to End my Backsplash Post

13 years ago

I read through some old posts last night but still I am not sure what to do.

We are renovating a kitchen using used cabinets. After the demo and moving a wall, I realized last night I have room on the right of dishwasher for another cabinet. I am going to have a 42" leftover cabinet cut down to a 21" cabinet. Now the upper & lower cabinets will not line up.

I am doing mosaic tiles on the backspash. I did three mockups on photoshop (Color is not exact). I would like to get opinions on what looks best.

1. This one is lining up the backsplash with the upper cabinets.

2. This one, I would continue the backsplash on the right.

3. Finally this is with the tile behind the shelves too. Will this be too busy?

Comments (19)

• 13 years ago

I like number 3. It looks more finished to me. Although number 2 would let you paint the back of the shelves in a different color, if you wanted to. What are you putting on the shelves?

• 13 years ago

Number 3 looks wonderful! That would be my choice :)

• 13 years ago

another vote for 3

• 13 years ago

Another vote for #3. My second choice would be #2.

• 13 years ago

of these options, I like # 3.... but have you mocked up something like #2, but instead of taking the tile as high on the wall as you do, keep it at the same level of where you stopped with the tile over the sink?

I'm not so sure my eye likes the "busy-ness" over the sink - I'm guessing it might be a display area and that would take it over the top for my eyes...

in the space where the tile would stop 2/3 of the way up (next to the door) might be a good spot for a clock, a favorite picture...

• 13 years ago

I like lawjedi's idea. I don't care for the tile behind the shelves. I might even consider taking it all the way to the door trim and down to the floor after that last cabinet.

• 13 years ago

I like lawjedi's idea as well.
    If not, then I like #3 or #2 with the area behind the shelves painted a different color than the wall.

• 13 years ago

Questions: Is the wall color a contrast or a complement to the tile?

If the tile is meant to "pop" I would take it high over the sink and possibly behind the shelves (what's going on those shelves?), but not high to the side of the cabinets on the right. You can have a lower backsplash (18" height) to the right all the way to the edge of the counter. That way, you just have one "tall center area" for the eye to be drawn to instead of two, and backsplash protection along the entire counterspace area.

On the other hand, if the backsplash is adding texture, but not a big contrast in color, then more like #2 or #3 is fine.

• 13 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I should also say that this won't be "my" kitchen. The is a renovation project, and we hope to finish and sell it next spring.

I know which one I like, but I have to remember it's not about what "I" like, but what most others will.

Here is a mockup as lawjedi's idea.

I am not sure about taking the tile to the door. It will depend on where the light switches end up. I wouldn't want them 1/2 way into the tile obviously.

I have no plans as to what's going on the shelves. I will just be decorative

• 13 years ago

I like number 1 and number 3 mixed
    something like the last picture, nut not exactly
    The space between the shelf it will be tile and the part of the right side it will be full to the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaners Sydney

• 13 years ago

The wall color will be complimentary.

I think #1 looks unfinished. I like #2 or #3.
    If I do #2 first, and don't like it I can add tile behind the shelves later. I like the idea of doing an accent color behind the shelves.

Thanks for the feedback!

PS - Can't believe my topic got Spammed on the first day!

• 13 years ago

My vote is for #4, your very last mock-up.

• 13 years ago

not surprisingly, I like the last mock-up. :-P. I think it might look more finished if it runs all the way to the wall like another poster suggested - but I see the issue with the light switch. could a coordinating light switch cover work in the midst of it?

but the other options aren't bad... enjoy tiling - however your favorite way is :-)

• 13 years ago

#4 is the best and I would have offered that one up but lawjedi beat me to the punch.

• 13 years ago

Regardless of how high you run it, I'd extend the tile all the way to the door molding -- looks unfinished otherwise, plus saves you some pricier edge pieces.

• 13 years ago

I'd put a matching set of upper open shelves on the wall adjacent to the doorway. This will make the wall configuration look very intentional. A paint color behind the shelves is sufficient, esp. if you're trying to keep the costs down and you won't have items on the shelves compete with the tile for attention. Run the tile up to the bottom of all the uppers including the open shelves. This homogenized reliable line will buffer potential problems with oddities in cab size pattern.

Be sure to look at discussions of the impact of small tiles on a whole-room design. Done well, they're great. Done badly, they can be a difficult gestalt issue.

• 13 years ago

I like #3 best, then #4. Both make the ending of the tile look intentional and symmetrical. If you opt for #4, what will the tile look over the range?

• 13 years ago

I agree with florantha...open shelves or a cabinet on the end would look more intentional and appropriate. Why this is difficult for you, is that it looks awkward, and unfinished the way it is... Unless of course, you have something with visual weight that you plan on hanging in the unused space on the right.

As for tiling behind the open shelf above sink... if you don't put a cabinet to the right... And fill that gap with tile - I would skin behind the shelves with the same material as the cabinets. You will have a nice visual line of cabinetry... making it look less choppy. A small contemporary crown will also tie in cabinets, and give it a finished look.

If you decide to put some open shelves on end or another cabinet.. I would tile the back of the shelf area above the sink - this will be your focal point of the kitchen.

Hope this gives food for thought! Good luck on your final decisions!
    Linda Berg - www.acwkitchens.com

Here is a link that might be useful: ACW Kitchen & Bath

• 13 years ago

I agree that there should be something - upper cabinet, shelves something to the right of the upper cabinet. Backsplash will look great then. Also, as to the open shelves I would not put the tile. Either the wall color, or matching wood.