Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mc_hudd

I need suggestions!

15 years ago

Hi. I don't post on here often, but thought maybe you guys could help me w/ a recent problem I'm having.

I have an 11 month old Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix. I got him when he was about 8 wks. old from my niece who had gotten him as a Christmas present & she couldn't keep him, I couldn't stand seeing how the ppl she had left him w/ were treating him, so, being the sucker that I am, took him. Well, right after we got him, he was on a weird kind of food, so I fed him & my other dog separately, gradually introducing him to the kind of food I use. He would always try to get into my other dog's food, but I would keep him out of it. One day, I told him "NO" for trying to get to my other dogs food & he kind of growled at me. DH & I thought this was funny, b/c he was about the size of a small cat (only weighed about 5 lbs.) and was acting like such a BIG dog. We just laughed it off & never thought anything else of it until he growled @ my St. Bernard & chased him away from the food bowl one day. I finally got him over growling at my other dog, but now he has started growling @ me! Not w/ their regular dog food, but when he gets a special treat, etc.

For example, just tonight I had gotten my dogs some ham bones @ the grocery store & gave them to them. Bailey, my St. Bernard, was very gracious & he just waited on me when I picked his up to put it on a towel so it wouldn't stain our carpet. Well, when I tried to do this w/ the Patch, the beagle/cocker, he was also fine. But then, I noticed Patch had a smaller piece bitten off & I was afraid of him possibly choking (I monitor my dogs probably too closely when I give them something like this) so I showed him the bigger piece & tried to take the smaller one out of his mouth & he growled @ me. I grabbed the nape of his neck & tried again & he did the same thing. This went on for a good minute, if not more, and finally he growled again & it slipped out of his mouth. I grabbed it & he was fine. After that, if I'd get close to the bigger piece, he would growl, so I finally took it from him & put him outside (they have a large fenced in backyard, so he's safe). He's now scratching on the door wanting back in, but I thought maybe leaving him out would kind of put him in "time-out".

In any other situation, he's a great dog, he does get a little wild when playing w/ other dogs, but not aggressive, just excited, he's kind of a high strung dog. He's been great when he's around little kids, again, he gets excited & jumps, but never gets mean. He listens well 90% of the time, there are those moments when he has his mind set on something & you have to really snap him out of it before he'll listen to you. But, this food thing is very new to me, my St. Bernard has never been aggressive w/ food, he's very protective of me & doesn't like strangers, but he's never been aggressive w/ me at all. The only other dog I had was a Lab & he wasn't aggressive about anything, he was very laid back. So, I don't know what to do!

Anyway, what should I do about this food aggression? Should I just not give him "treats" like this anymore? I really feel like that would just be avoiding the problem & not fixing it. Also, I can't give one dog a treat & not the other, so I think it would be unfair to my gentle giant, Bailey. I really can't afford obedience classes or I'd attempt that. What should I do? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (2)

• 15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Get the dog on the NILIF program real quick(nothing in life is free. Below is an article describing how to handle this I copied and pasted this from one of my training
    links
    When dealing with food (resource) guarding
    Forget just putting the bowl down for him. Make him sit. Make him wait a minute longer. Put a very small portion of his regular dinner in his bowl. Hold on to the bowl for him to eat out of. Does he eat with your hands still on the Vessel of Chow? Very good. Before he finishes what's there, slowly pull it away. Don't get into a wrestling match over it though, if he starts to protest, use your newest command, "Trade".
    Give the bowl back with more food in it. This time you can put it down for him. You want him to realize that you'll never let him starve, but you reserve the right to remove his dish. Keep this up, every day, just this, until you no longer get a resistance when you remove the bowl. On to the next phase ...

You follow the new routine, making him go through a bit of a hassle before he gets his full dinner again, but this time, instead of leaving him to eat in peace after, you put your hand on his head, and follow his movements, keeping it in place. Does he give you dirty looks, but continue eating anyway? This is good. Move your hand, just stroking his head. This in itself is a reward activity, but it may take him some time to realize that it's okay, you aren't going to steal his dinner away for good.

Once he's used to you petting him while he's eating, and he's relaxed in your company, the next step is to remove his dinner. That's right. Do what he's been afraid you'll do, right from the beginning. Take it, and turn your back on him. Put one of those drool-worthy treats I mentioned earlier right on top of his dinner, then give it back. Aha. See? Like "Trade", but you didn't give the command. Keep it up.

By using patience and persistence, rewarding the good behavior, and employing the "work for it" rules, you can turn your resource guarding dog into a dog you can pet while he's eating. Just remember ... just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Everybody deserves to eat in peace.

• 15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ahhh resource guarding...what a fun topic. NOT. FIrst let me ask, how often do you leash walk your dog?? How often do you let him up on the furniture? Do you always feed one dog before feeding the other? I think that even tho you kind of blow off his rambunctious behavior, you might be creating a monster here. If you dont start getting a handle on the other problems IE: jumping on people, and those moments he has his mind set on something and you have to snap him out of it -this right here means your dog does not respoect you, dones not see you as the boss of the house or leader of the pack or anything like that. What if the thing your dog had in its mouth was something bad for his health, like chocolate or onions, and you could not get him to drop it...you need to get a handle on your dog ASAP. Start with leash walking, at least 2 times a day at least for a good 15 minutes, more if you can. Dont let him pull you. Make him sit and stay at the door before you go out, and you go first. Feed your other dog first always everytime no exceptions. Sit, stay, leave it, you start working on these things...post again at the end of the month and let us know how you are doing...