Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smuggs_gw

controlling sprinkler zone with Jandy controller

16 years ago

I'd like to set up one zone on my sprinkler system to act as an "autofill"/waterfeature. I can certainly use my standard sprinker controller, but thought it would be nice to use one of the auxilliaries on my Jandy RS6 so that I could turn the feature on while in the pool as well as have it on a schedule. The sprinkler valves require low voltage. The Jandy documentation is not 100% clear as to where the low voltage outputs are. Can someone provide some insight on how to do this?

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

Smuggs, I am in the process of having a pool installed by Swim-Mor, I'm almost done. How has your expirience been. I have not been happy through this process with the service we have been getting.

• 16 years ago

Smuggs,

I use a sprinkler valve as my autofill, and I too have the Jandy RS. I don't know the mechanics of it all, because my PB did the install, but mine is connected to aux 4. I know he was orginally looking for a solenoid that could be used with the higher voltage,and was having a hell of a time finding one, but then said there was another way to do it. The electricians were just out today in fact and connected it. Not sure what they did, but it currently works off of aux 4.

• 16 years ago

Pools 2007. I'm interested in hearing about your probs w/ Swim-mor. They installed our pool last year and we had no major issues. What's going on? I give them a lot of referrals and if there's something going on, I'd like to know.

• 16 years ago

pools_2007 - overall the experience has been OK. I have had some relatively minor issues...one of their trucks pushed an electrical transformer partially off its base (they moved it back after I had a heated discussion with Lauren...i suspect this is where your problem may lie...i have found her communication to be less than ideal). I also have a minor issue with 2 or 3 pieces of coping, but it wasn't enough to slow down the project. Overall, things have moved quickly and the work good...I expected to have some issues through the project as there are always some in a large project. At this point, I'm waiting to have my concrete sealed. But, we're are in and the kids love the pool! Where are you located?

cannonball_joe - can you tell or find out if they added a transformer to step down the power to the valve?

• 16 years ago

Have a 110V outlet located beneath the controller that is switched by a relay. Then you plug in a 24vac wall wart style transformer that when energized powers a solenoid valve.

• 16 years ago

I am planning to energize a solenoid valve also from the Jandy RS. IÂm waiting for the necessary cable to do this, but was told that the JVA sockets can be used to energize 24 VAC solenoid valves. If you have any JVA sockets not in use, simply assign that JVA to the auxiliary that you desire and that JVA socket will energize or de-energize when the auxiliary is selected. These JVA sockets output 24 VAC on 2 different legs, one leg normally energized and the other leg normally de-energized.

Just be careful to use the right cable with the appropriate connector when connecting to the JVA socketÂ.the socket is small and if any of the pins are shorted, damage may result to the Jandy controller. Jandy sells JVA cables in different lengths and that is what IÂm planning to use for connection between the Jandy RS and the solenoid valve.

Hope this helps.

• 16 years ago

Smuggs,

You hit it right on the head. Everytime I contact Lauren it seems like I am bothering her. Nothing has been easy when it comes to getting minor problems resolved. I haven't had any major issues, it's the minor one's and the attitude I get when I contact Swim-mor. Did you get stamped concrete, is that why you are having it sealed?

• 16 years ago

So, I have figured out that I can just connect the valve to the 24 VDC output for the auxilliary. I posted the question because it was wired in the box...but apparently the sprinkler guys didn't wire the actual valve...they did it today.

As for the concrete, I got exposed aggregate, which is why I'm sealing it.