Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

threshold of new exterior doors

17 years ago

I just got two new Simpson exterior doors installed today. Much as I know there are more efficient materials than wood, I got wood doors because I wanted the appearance of real wood.

My question is about the threshold - they installed shiny, silver metal ones - which look hideous with the lovely dark riftsawn oak doors. What other options are available that I can specify instead of this? How hard is it going to be for them to take the silver ones out and replace?

I know nothing about this stuff and want to be prepared when I talk with the contractor. I've had these people do work in the past and they do a good job but I don't think they are too conscious of some esthetic choices like this.

Comments (7)

• 17 years ago

You can match the doors with custom, or get nearly matching, off the shelf wood thresholds. Should not take too long, maybe an hour or two, depending on how well the shiny metal ones were installed. Note that wood needs more care, and is also a fine insulator!

• 17 years ago

If the doors were prehung, the installers had no choice of threshhold type, those were attached to the framing of the door.

Changing them is possible---oak threshholds are a stock item in stores. I have been successful at simply cutting out old threshholds and sliding in new ones. But, on new preframed doors, the entire door assembly may have to be removed to make the switch. Ask the contractor what he thinks is necessary.

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the info! I hate the silver metal but I'd also hate to have them have to tear the entire thing out - these were prehung and they seemed to be a bear to get in there. Would there have been a choice when they ordered the door - of what color threshold came with it?

• 17 years ago

All the prehung doors that I have been looking at have those (ugly) metal thresholds. However, my installer ask me if I preferred wood and has indicated that before installation, he can remove the metal and install wooden (oak) threshold.

• 17 years ago

They're pondering the problem now and deciding what to do. They're good guys - but they just do not think about these kinds of details. I had a fabulous GC who did my kitchen remodel and he was just so good about raising every possible question and consideration and never assumed anything.....so there were no surprises.....

Well, I'll know the next time to ask.....though I asked and specified hinge color and they got that wrong - easy enough to fix though.

• 17 years ago

Well, they could have specified a brown threshold instead of silver but didn't realize it. They have to pull the doors out to change them. I asked if they can do that without wrecking the doors or anything else. They said yes and wanted to go ahead and do it since I hate the silver. I'm really wondering though if the doors can be pulled out and put back in without ruining them in some way. What do you think?

• 17 years ago

The only problem I encounter when taking out a prehung that will be reinstalled is dealing with the existing fasteners. I usually just cut them behind the frame of the door. Once in a while, one might move and leave a mark that needs filled on the inside of the frame.