Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caramia_gw

Trends in decorating

15 years ago

I am wondering what YOU think will be the "new and popular" decorating trends over the next few years. Colors?

When I married in 1982 everyone had country houses with chickens and ducks and such. My colors were williamsburg blue and mauve. Lovely.

We've gone through the jewel tones of deep greens, burgandy and blues.

Now nearly every open house I go to has restrained gold or something from that strip.

The blue/brown color had it's day and is still around.

Toile made a comeback.

What's next?

Comments (5)

• 15 years ago

I think it will be the French, Swedish, Danish and Chinese. If done well, Swedish and French can live happily together. Each makes use of the cracky paint and light colors, grays blues and some greens with low light yellows and good wood.

The lines of Danish and Chinese can live together. I think those who want a heavier look will go toward the heavier Chinese while those who want light and airy will trend toward French and Swedish.

I don't necessarily mean a French Country but a more streamlined apartment-fresh French where mixes of high end painted will blend with classic pieces in wood,lighter colors with classic mirrors, fewer busy florals and toiles, more fresh and natural linens and lower beds and fewer armoires but armoires will be antique and those credenzas will replace moist armoires. Home offices will become more streamlined with lots of glass.

Mid Century modern has made a come-back but will probably be updated by adding a mix of Chinese for flair and excitement. Black furniture will probably go toward lightly lacquered or soft colors instead of Pottery Barn black. Campaign chest type furniture will get a dose of soft color.

JMHO, just what I am feeling in my bones. Gustav is not just a hurricane in the Caribbean but Gustavian will become a decorating storm.

Of course, this could be altered by the season of politics. I notice that style can bend toward what the White House trends. Remember the Reagan reds and the Bush cabbage flowers, Clinton heavy woods and semi-victorian mixed with more modern and abstract artwork.

The venetian mirrors already burst onto the scene a few years back, were slow to catch on (probably due to price) but have stayed and outpaced the longevity of their previous entrance back in the 40s, but who knows.

It will be interesting to see how the new first lady, whomever she is, will decorate.

I think the current Bush White House and the Kennedy White House have been the two classiest of my life time but that's probably because I just like their taste in furnishings and colors. :)

• 15 years ago

About kitchens, I think islands have seen the biggest surge and will probably become standard stock to every house and then kitchens will return to the "add-on" look of a bygone era, there will be more marble and less granite used, and then when the marble trend tires, we will see more and more wooden countertops. They will be very high end. Stainless steel kitchens will stay for a while but we will eventually return to colored appliances, not just white, black and almond, but real colors, baked on enamel looks. (Think Aga).

Carpets will become short napped with designs woven and sheared. Fibers will be natural and more expensive than hardwood. Wallpaper will become very high end and not for the average consumer. Paste will be done by hand by skilled craftsmen. Rolls will be shorter rolls but wider.

There will be less and less wood and more and more particle board furniture, and wood furniture will be bought up by the high-end decorators and sources for the elite, refinished and presented as rare finds.

Chandeliers will be imported from European countries which will make them far more expensive.

Flame me, flame me. I am guessing and I am usually wrong! but these are my guesses.

Buy artwork now. It will be relegated to the wealthy after a few years, as fewer starving artists will be able to keep painting as paint will become more and more expensive in keeping with environmental issues.

• 15 years ago

I'm 'predicting' a return of the neutrals, with red, gold, and even the much-loved sage green becoming passe'. Blue will definitely become a hasbeen. Any shade of tan or even white, will be the seen on walls, as people will be looking to make their homes more serene.

Painted furniture will become more popular, as with world conditions and less cutting of hardwood trees, we'll see a higher quality of MDF being used in the manufacturing of furniture/cabinets.

More Bamboo for floors~same reason as above. 'Real' woods like, Oak, Walnut, Maple, and even Pine will be considered high-end for floors. I even forsee something like vinyl, but without the use of petroleum becoming popular in flooring.

Shaw has a carpeting that is recycleable. I see this as becoming commomplace for all carpet manufacturers. It can be recycled to the 'dump' without the added risk of putting more toxins in the earth and *will* break down over time.

Resin, resin, resin~just go away! Hopefully we'll be seeing less of 'it' and the return of ceramic, metals, porcelain, wood, glass, pottery, and other things decor items *should* be made of.

New for countertops will be copper, with stainless becoming more popular. Marble will be the 'new' natural stone. Cement will continue to be used, and granite will come down in price as it will become as common as ceramic tile.

It's really hard to predict what the future holds in terms of decorating. I think it will become an issue where we'll see designers vs environmentalists.

• 15 years ago

Patty, you just reminded me of something. I think we will start painting our hardwood floors. Yes, it was quite vogue in its day and everyone, sooner or later, based on marketing trends and availability will tire of the "brown" hardwood floors and start wanting a lighter look and tiles for floors will make a come back along with painting hard wood. The paint will wear well and we will be stuck with them until the next trend turns to a different type of flooring. :)

• 10 months ago

I am so tired of luxury vinyl plank. And then buy a room size rug to try to clean around. Seems like it’s a money grab to get us to buy both. I have inexpensive carpet in one of my rentals and it’s been there for ten years. Still looks good, and it’s a rental folks. Sure I’m getting ready to replace it, it with what? I have vinyl plank in my home, a couple of them squeak when I walk on them, the first thing I did is bought an expensive carpet to cover it.? I prefer to walk on quiet carpet, so to keep up with everyone else do I have to have that area around the edge of the room in wood, or wood look? With piles of dog hair and fuzz?