Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybutt

Please help arrange my living room...

13 years ago

I had settled on the first arrangement but Scoobyruby's beautiful room inspired me to try some more. Her room is situated similiarly to mine, but I don't have the large opening to the kitchen.

What really bugs me about the room is that the wall (where the chairs are in the first set up) is angled. It makes it impossible to hang art because it's not symetrical or in line with the chairs. You can't put a sofa there because of the angle, or I would have a sofa on that wall and the chairs in front of the window. I thought about putting a chair rail and picture molding above and below the chair rail so maybe I could dress up the walls that way. Thoughts?

So I've got it set up two ways. What looks better?

Also, I plan on getting a new sofa (off white, more streamlined and less overstuffed). Everything else can stay or go.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (32)

• 13 years ago

difficult angle

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 13 years ago

angle

• 13 years ago

Sorry about the pictures. I've posted pics before but for some reason I'm having trouble. Here is a link that shows the weird angle.

• 13 years ago

Here's another arrangment I'm trying out.

• 13 years ago

Finally figured it out!!!! Duh!!!

• 13 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

which is better?

{{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

Sheeeesh!!! That's the weird angle.

{{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

I only like the 2nd photo because your couch is too small to put it on that large wall.
    My opinion would be to get a larger sofa (which are are planning on a new one anyway). Maybe a tall iron screen off to the side of the sofa and some greens. YOu will also need a large picture or mirror behind the new sofa.

• 13 years ago

I'm having the same problem with my LR, however, where your leather chair is, in my room is the opening to the DR. Currently I have my sofa on an angle to the room on the left-side upon entering and my wing chairs in front of the window.

In your pictures, I prefer the sofa in front of the windows, I think that's where I'm going to move mine back; but I always have to rearrange at Christmas to put the tree in front of the window. Imagine decorating because of a tree! I really hate the configuration of my room!

• 13 years ago

jeannie--the only thing is I should have said I'm getting a new loveseat. What you said makes sense that the loveseat looks too small on that large wall. Then the problem is if I get a longer sofa, it will might make it so there is no space for the chairs. Maybe I should tape it out to see how it would fit.

enailes, I know. I hate the way they angled that wall! That is where the intake is on the other side so that's why they did it but it really makes it hard to do the room like that.

• 13 years ago

Tryingtodecorate,

I wish I had your angled wall! I basically have only 2 walls in my LR and one of those walls has 2 windows on it.

However, your 2nd picture has inspired me to move my sofa back in front of the windows and to try my buffet from the DR on the far-side wall.

• 13 years ago

I liked it better the original way because your beautiful buffet (I'm not sure if that's the right word for it) really gives some weight and importance to this room, and also the sofa under the window somehow just looks right. May I suggest that you hang the picture a little higher over the buffet? Also, a tall, leafy plant next to it, near the window, would soften the feel of the room. As it is, it looks a little static. Perhaps more art work on the walls would also help. I like the round table without much clutter on it but would hang art behind it. Having the two pictures on one side and nothing on the other angle somehow unbalances things. Your room is actually pretty and really has potential with just a few tweaks. I'm afraid the plant on the glass coffee table just makes the table look smaller and out of proportion. I don't know if you'd consider this, but an area rug with beautiful colors would really give some extra life to the room. Nowadays they're really not that expensive in the smaller sizes and can make so much difference to the overall look. I hope I didn't overstep the bounds with all these extra comments, but I just got rather excited about the possibilities in your room.

• 13 years ago

ingrid vc--oh no, please feel free to give comments. I'm hoping for some good constructive criticism and a fresh eye.
    Thanks!

• 13 years ago

Well, trying to decorate, now that you've kindly given me carte blanche and, after re-reading your original post where you mention that anything can stay or go, may I make another suggestion? With your new couch, would you consider placing your chairs somewhere else and finding some small cushioned chairs that will look good with the couch? These chairs don't look terribly comfortable or cozy, and soft chairs with cushions would relax the room so much. Size will be a problem since you don't have a great deal of room but smaller chairs are available since lots of people live in apartments or condos. It may be that you like a more traditional look but your new couch and the glass coffee table lend themselves to a more contemporary look. That will be offset by your gorgeous buffet and the round wooden tables so that it would end up being eclectic, which to me is the most exciting style of all since it's a bit unpredictable. I'll be very interested to see how you continue with this project.

• 13 years ago

Yes, the view of the chest as you look into the room is very pretty.

Here I go again...but your angled wall is the PERFECT spot for a really big mirror. And I mean really big...40 X 60, hung vertically, as thought it were a doorway. It will break open the wall visually, reflect the light coming in the window, and keep it from looking like the inside of a hatbox, which is always the risk with such an angle. It would complete the furnishing of the room by reflecting all the pretty things across from it and in front of it, and double the perceived size of the space.

• 13 years ago

Can I be different? I love the way your couch looks on the wall as you enter the room. I would put some different sofa pillow, like maybe green and enjoy. Your buffet is pretty but that room is your living room and now you have it arranged for good conversation.

• 13 years ago

Ok, so I'm trying to let everything sink in but I feel like I'm getting some wind in my sails! So far three say to keep the loveseat in front of the windows and one says on the large wall (but a sofa). This is important because I have to decide which to get, a loveseat or a sofa. The room is longer than it is deep, if that makes a difference as far as placement of seating.

Ingrid, I don't mind if the two chairs go. They were a steal on CL and I can just sell them. They are not at all comfortable to sit in.

Bronwynsmom, That is something I would not have thought of. Where would I put the large mirror? On the wall closest to the long wall or the wall closest to the entry?

• 13 years ago

Grandmaof3, No, you cannot be different! It has to be unanimous.

Seriously though, thanks for weighing in and giving me your thoughts.

• 13 years ago

Thanks for the compliment on my room - it all has been a process and GW has helped me sooooo much! There are some talented folks here on this board.

I love your arrangement with the buffet & sofa in front of the windows. The chairs are beautiful and simple. I would be interested to see what Bmom says about a mirror but I had a thought about a beautifully upholstered folding screen (with some nailhead trim) in front of the angle. Really, I like all of your furniture - even your loveseat which you talked about replacing. I would get a rug instead to pull all your colors together.

Smiles:)

• 13 years ago

I think you need a sofa instead of a loveseat.

• 13 years ago

A couch, not a loveseat, on the wall that you see coming in the room. Larger coffee table.

A pair of comfy chairs, along the lines of the leather one but upholstered and not quite so bulky, on either side of the couch, facing one another and the coffee table.

End tables on either end of the couch with lamps.

The cabinet on the angled wall (the part immediately left of the doorway, if there is room. Framed art piece and sconces with plates over this.

• 13 years ago

I like the buffet on the back wall and the sofa over to the side.

Laurie

• 13 years ago

You and Scooby inspired me last night after I got home from work, I moved my sofa in front of the windows and moved my buffet on the far wall as you did. I don't know why I like the arrangement so much, but it just looks better. For me, the far wall is the "predictable" location for a sofa, and any chairs in the room would be facing the sofa (meaning their backs are to the entrance to the room) and I really think it cuts off the energy to the room.

My LR looks much cozier, and when I figure out how to post pictures I will do so.

• 13 years ago

I imagined the mirror on the wall closer to the long wall, not the one closer to the entry. I think the room needs something to open it up, not close it in more, which is what a screen might do, although I think in a much larger room the screen would be a great idea.
    Here's one from Horchow for a pretty reasonable price (Google "horchow gold leaf floor mirror").

I agree that you should have a sofa, and I like it under the window. I usually prefer that the main seating of a room not face a wide entry door. And I would shop for one in a clean, classic form, that has more of its mass dedicated to seat space than arm space. The Bryant sofa from Ethan Allen is a good example of one that is a good size, a rational price, at home in a traditional setting, and that would look great in a traditional striped or small-scale patterned fabric. Click the link to look at it from the side (the arrows on the picture give you more views).

Although your pair of chairs is very pretty, their small scale emphasizes your space constraints. To give the room more ease and life, I would move one of them elsewhere, and use the leather chair in the space to the left of the chest as you face into the room. Using a few larger scale pieces in a small room works much better than fitting in a lot of smaller things.

For that reason, I would also rethink the brackets and plates on that wall, and consider replacing them with two slender pin-up wall lamps, possibly tole-painted (with paintable cord covers). This one is an antique, but meant to show you the look I mean:

I'd move the lamp that's there now on the round table between the chairs, and use the one now on that table on a sofa-side table in the corner away from the entry.

Then I would consider hanging something paler (not smaller) over the chest, like perhaps a large-scale botanical, or an Audubon bird, with a wide cream mat, and hanging the painting as part of a grouping of pictures on the part of the angled wall that's closest to the entry.

And I don't think your coffee table is too small!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Allen Bryant sofa

• 13 years ago

Wow, it seems it's almost divided on where I should put the sofa. I guess it's good to know I could go either way and it would probably still be fine. In the model, which was really beautifully done, they had a loveseat in front of the window. But on the large wall is a fireplace flanked by two more windows, which takes up that long wall space. There is also not that pain in the rear angled wall. Still thinking of which way I should go.

enailes, I'm looking forward to see your new arrangement. That's great that you got inspired last night!

bronwynsmom, I love that sofa. I haven't done any real looking yet, but that's like what I would want. Def less arms and more seat. The only thing with getting a sofa in that room is I don't know if there is space for it and a table too. It measures 11ft 2" in front of the windows. I'm glad you clarified about the mirror because I thought you meant putting it somewhere else. I like your other ideas too.

Thanks so much everyone! Please keep the ideas coming.

• 13 years ago

I do like the dark chest facing the entrance of the room -- it makes a great focal point! :)

And I do vote for the smaller sofa to sit in front of the windows -- and the two matching chairs (pretty BTW!) facing it.

Perhaps try the large mirror from the hallway over the chest -- it would nice with the sconces ....

Try the wonderful floral print over the table/lamp combination in the "weird angle" ((LOL!))

Then move the two matching prints -- hang them vertically between the two windows (or look for some other darker floral/herbal/botanical prints for that spot)

Group the photos on the two end tables -- try re-framing them in simple but darker gold/aged-looking frames.

On the dark chest -- love the lamp -- but would love to see a slightly smaller clock -- or perhaps an orchid in a pretty pot?

Just some thoughts!
    Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 13 years ago

I love bronwynsmoms' idea of a large mirror - would be a "wow" for your room, which is already nice. I like the idea of a couch too, as well as some pillows with "punch".

• 13 years ago

I like the loveseat in front of the windows too- with the chest as the focal point~
    LOVE your rug, BTW.

Enailes, good for you...show us your new arrangement, okay?

• 13 years ago

Hi Loribee, Thank you and I will, my brother gave me a digital camera this summer, and I still haven't opened the box :( I'm so technically challenged it isn't even funny anymore but it is my goal to post my pictures.

• 13 years ago

I think I prefer the sofa on the far wall more then the buffet. Do you need the extra chair in the room? The leather(?)chair looks comfortable.

I think I would like the buffet there more if the picture was slightly higher. Or maybe a picture that wasn't so dark. The picture looks good with the sofa but with the buffet it just looks so dark and there is no space between the picture and the buffet.

• 13 years ago

Oh I second or third bronwynsmom's idea of putting a mirror on that wall with the angle. What a great idea!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!