Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

Repurposing DR???

15 years ago

Have any of you changed your DR into a "reading room"? We have lived in our home for 4 years now, and have used the dining room all of 4 times, if that! Our table and chairs were given to us, so they are nothing special to us.

So....our community yard sale is coming up and I'm trying to convice DH that we should try and sell the set and move our oversized chair that's currently in the family room into the DR and make it a room to relax/read in, etc when someone doesn't want to watch tv. We have a center style colonial home and the opposite room to the DR is a formal sitting room, but for us, it serves as the kids' play room.

I'm just not sure if I'm making the right decision. Any input?

Comments (13)

• 15 years ago

If you have another place to eat, it sounds like a good idea. The nice thing about what you're suggesting is that you would not be eliminating the room from your house, so you could turn it back into a dining room if you need to later (for example, if you are showing your house for sale).

You might want to keep a small table in there, though, like a library table to give the kids a comfy homework, game or puzzle spot.

• 15 years ago

Since we had only one living area, we turned our dining room into another living area. We call it the den. There is no TV in the room just a couple comfy chairs and a sleeper sofa. It has a big bay window and is a very pleasant room.

• 15 years ago

I'm all for re-purposing rooms that don't work for the way you live. In our last house our formal living room had a pool table and the adjoining dining room was like a den. In this house the dining room has the pool table. For us, formal rooms were just dust collecting places that I resented cleaning...I wish we had re-purposed sooner...took me years to figure this out!

• 15 years ago

Yes -- use every inch of your space to its best possible advantage!

Turning the dining room into a "library" or "study" would be wonderful. Consider adding a couple of bookcases -- they don't have to be expensive -- we have Ikea bookcases here at home.

Yes -- adding a table or even a desk can be useful OR as mentioned above -- perhaps even a sofa bed for guests! All great ideas to make a room work better for your present needs!

Jan

• 15 years ago

In a previous house where we raised our children we turned our dining room into a study/computer room with a desk, small sofa and chair. It was the best thing we ever did to that house. We changed out the chandelier to a ceiling fan, it had a great bay window, it was perfect for us and I had no regrets. At the time I had my mother in law's table in there but I was only keeping it until my sister in law moved into her home and needed it. When she took the table we re-purposed the room. Now as an empty nester, we just built a home and I really wanted a dining room. We use it much more now than when the kids were small. They tend to marry and multiply so the dining room is used much more often for family gatherings than it ever was when there was the four of us. Do what suits you now and yes, you can always switch it back someday if you choose.

• 15 years ago

mpmg, I did that in my last house-- and it was by far my favorite room in the house! My kitchen was huge-- bigger than my current LR and had plenty of room for a large table. The dining room became my library/study/sitting room. It was a large room too. I had bookshelves, a large desk, a comfy chair with a garden table and a game table (repurposed pub table) in the corner.

I loved that room.. it had great energy. I hope you love your room as much.

• 15 years ago

We switched tiny DR with LR, as DH likes to sit at the table most of the time (?) and the front room (red wall) gets full winter sun so it will be warmer. The other room (rust chair) former tiny DR, also has a small love seat which is a sleeper also. You may have to try the link a couple of times, but there are good pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: switched rooms

• 15 years ago

I have fantasies of doing this... but our dining room has the only table where our whole family can sit down at once. In our old house, our dining room was a playroom because we didn't have any other room for toys. My fantasy dining room would have lots of nice bookshelves, two comfy reading chairs, plus a small round dining table in the corner that could be used for eating or puzzles or whatever. Maybe when my kids all move out... in about, oh, 12 years!

• 15 years ago

When we added a 22x24 den, we no longer used our LR. It was simply a pass thru to get from one end of the house to the other. Our dining "area" was in the kitchen and very cramped. So, we knocked out the wall between the kitchen and LR, (added an eat at bar in-between the two rooms) and turned the 15x15 LR into a much needed dining room. The flow is better, it's more open, roomy and we finally have room for a 60" round table, 8 chairs and a buffet. If we need more seating, the bar can seat 4. If the rooms in YOUR home can be better used by transforming them into something else, then my all means, do it! :)
    Monica

• 15 years ago

Yes! In our house, the room that is supposed to be our dining room is my artist's studio and lounge, and the room that is supposed to be the second living area is the formal dining room. There was no way a hutch, china cab, buffet and eight-seater table and chairs was going to fit in that tiny room!

• 15 years ago

Wow! Thanks everyone for your great input! I tend to be a
    rule follower, so for me, this is a really hard thing to do. If we sell the DR table/chairs, then I'll take it as a sign to go ahead with the plan. ;)

Would it look silly to leave the (newly painted black) chandelier in the room if/when we convert it?

• 15 years ago

I think it is a great idea!! If you have a smaller table it might work to cut it down for a coffee table?

Chandelier might work or you could always get a semi-flush & save the chandelier for when you sale.

Smiles:)

• 15 years ago

Our traditional styled home has a formal dining room off the front entrance that we repurposed as a combination music and homeschool room. Since we have no formal living room that we could use, this room houses bookcases, a computer armoire, piano, and game table where the kids and I can work on school work.

I think the chandelier could work - especially if you follow the other suggestions to raise it a bit (as for dining areas, chandeliers often sit lower).

And I know the rule-following complex all too well! Constantly reminding myself that I can break decorating "rules"!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths