Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

has anyone used hardware from nanz?

16 years ago

i finally found a company that makes a beautiful and expansive collection of polished nickel hardware. i think you can tell by looking that it will cost a fortune. anyone care to guess? has anyone ordered from them or do you have an educated idea? TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: nanz hardware

Comments (5)

• 16 years ago

Clipped from a 2004 article:

At first glance, the French Bull's-Eye ($70) by Nanz Custom Hardware, the Barwil of cabinet pulls, bears more than a passing resemblance to Restoration Hardware's Gilmore pull ($5.95).

Both are relatively flat on top with lines on the sides.

But up close you can see that the Nanz version, modeled after turn-of-the-century drum-shape knobs, is an astounding combination of ogees, steps, astragals and coves compared with the Gilmore's simpler profile.

Carl Sorenson, an owner of Nanz Custom Hardware, estimates that more than 50 percent of the manufacturing cost is in the handiwork required in the final finishing to get into all those crevices.

More straightforward shapes can be finished by tossing them in a tumbler overnight.

Is it worth the extra $64 a knob?

Side by side, there is no denying that the Nanz looks almost jewel-like while the Restoration Hardware model looks, well, like a cabinet pull.

Do you need it? Nope.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weight is the Quickest Guage of Quality

• PRO
    6 years ago

Our last project called for Nanz hardware that were $865 a piece wholesale for cabinet pulls. crazy!

• 6 years ago

And Design Synthesis, is there a good reason you felt you needed to pull up a 9 year old thread to show off how you used Nanz hardware for a job?

• 6 years ago

I personally like reading old threads because I was not around back in the day. I believe that most of us are here to learn something and Nanz is a new name to me.

Thanks Design Synthesis. I'll be looking at Nanz hardware for my new yacht when I win the lottery!

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

NANZ HARDWARE IS EXPENSIVE GARBAGE! I have spent a fortune working with them. They have such a high turnover, I've never had the same project manager on my hardware for over a month at a time. As a result, so much EXPENSIVE hardware arrived incorrect, usually LATE, and definitely OVER BUDGET.

The contract hinges we purchased that we were told were made in the US had a MADE IN CHINA stamp on them!

You'd think when you spend close to a million dollars on hardware, you'd get SOME customer service. When I asked them to fix the situation, the owner CARL SORENSON finally got involved, and that guy is a LYING THIEF. I WILL NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM EVER AGAIN. He seemed manic like he was panicked about money when I spoke to him while he absolutely refused to give me any sort of partial refund. The only reason this GARBAGE hardware is so expensive because you're paying for their giant showroom in SoHo to sit there empty. Every time I go back , there are less people in their desks. NEVER AGAIN.

Don't waste your money, there are several other custom hardware options out there at a fraction of the cost. I've worked with PE GUERIN, BUTLER, H THEOPHILE, ROCKY MOUNTAIN, BAXTER, and even have had good luck with the BRASS CENTER will make a mirror copy of any NANZ Garbage you may want at a good price.