Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefb_gw

Large format porcelain tile + prep sink faucet - swivel/no swivel

13 years ago

Still working on countertop tile issue. Have yet to find anything I like as well as my original choice, which turns out to be only available in 20". Not sure how I will like using such large tile, but might be worth it to get the tile I want. I've seen a few photos of large format tile that look OK - just not as interesting as smaller. On the other hand, the installation should be easier if they are in fact very flat. Anyone have advice?

I have a lavatory faucet that I might be able to adapt to use with the prep sink. I can think of pros and cons for the fact that it wouldn't swivel - small sink might not need to, avoid accidentally running water onto the counter. I think it's high enough to work, but might look odd. Do normal bar/prep sink faucets swivel?

Thanks.

Stef

Comments (6)

• 13 years ago

Large tile seems ideal to me for a countertop because less grout to keep clean. Good luck!

• 13 years ago

For what it's worth...Kate-Lo, a Twin Cities tile distributor, has very large format granite pieces for instant countertops. Not sure if this is what Stef has in mind, but might be of interest to other readers...(EZ Tops( These are granite tiles that have 3 polished edges. Some are 12 x 12 and some 18 x 26. They (give the appearance of a granite slab for 1/3 of the cost. EZ Tops are the ultimate granite slab alternative.(

Here is a link that might be useful: EZ Tops granite large format tiles

• 13 years ago

Love the idea of "instant" countertops!! Presto-change-o! I wish! My Dad has done a couple of them with 12x12 granite tile with minimal grout and says it looks great. These will be 20x20 porcelain. I took a deep breath and called to order them. The guy I talked to this time said he's done similar countertops and thinks it's a great idea, so I went ahead and ordered them. I've cut 13" tile and smaller before, but never 20" so I sure hope I don't screw up. I think I will practice on some 16" cheap tiles I have for another project. But we have lots to do before we get to the tile!

• 13 years ago

As someone who just pulled out an entire countertop of 6x6 ceramic tiles, the idea of 20x20 tiles sounds fantastic.

I wish I could answer your question about whether prep sink faucets usually swivel, but I've never had a prep sink. I think I remember you writing that the sink would only be 12x12, though -- if so, I can't imagine that you would need a swivel.

How will you use your prep sink? Will it have a disposal for vegetable stems, etc?

• 13 years ago

I can't wait to see your countertops. We plan to do granite tile but may consider porcelain tile.

• 13 years ago

No, the prep sink will be at least 15" and ideally a bit larger. (12x12 was probably the tile) We don't use a disposer since the guy who put in our septic system advised against it. Since then, I've heard lots of people use them with septic systems, but I'm used to not using one. The plan is to use the prep sink for washing veggies, etc., as well as filling pots for the stove. Mainly it will leave the big sink for clean-up, and give the second person in the kitchen a place to get water without bothering the cook. I have a 25" single sink I intended to use, but realize now that it just doesn't need to be that big. Nice thing about waiting 20 years to do this is that I have a lot better idea of how we actually use the kitchen.

I can't wait to see the countertops, too, but it will be a while. We have four windows to finish before we even start on the cabinets. The house has double walls for added insulation, so the windows have to be boxed in. My dad, who is the original handy guy, did the finish carpentry on the windows that are done, so this will be our first attempt to do them without his help. Today I removed the mouldings and sanded them (not in bad shape after all these years), so tomorrow I'll get them stained. Nice to be actually doing something after all this time planning and deciding!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths