Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20104582

How to support a silgranit sink

12 years ago

I feel like all I have are issues...even when I think I know what I should do. Our granite was installed today, over a Blanco Silgranit sink. We have a super single that is 32" wide (including undermount edge) Our sink base is 34" so the granite fabricator told us that we should have the contractor add some 1" strips inside the base cabinet that the sink could rest on (these were put in just slightly lower that the cabinet top so the sink rests flush or a hair below the cabinet tops). So the granite was installed today and I did not see them install everything, but I'm not sure that the sink is

clipped to the granite. It is siliconed in, but it seems that the wood strips

may be supporting the sink and the granite was just laid on top and siliconed to the sink. The wood strips are screwed into the 1/2" plywood

sides, but is that enough support for the sink when it is being used? They

also did the seam in the middle of the sink (which I agreed to, but then later read was not a great idea) I do like how small it is, but does it seem

like I might have problems? I haven't paid my final payment and I would

like to fix things while I still have some financial backing. The granite is Bianco Antico and I am in love with it!

Comments (10)

• 12 years ago

I am still figuring this out too, but here's what I know. I tried to find reputable granite fab people, and all three companies I had bid it insisted on a bracket system rather than gluing the sink to the granite with epoxy.

Yes, your wood strips are acting as a bracketing system, and I was told this is an acceptable method. If it's tripping you out, remember that wood supports are what's holding up the rest of your granite countertops and hopefully your contractor knows his way around proper support.

Are your particular wood strips are sturdy enough? My guess is you are good to go, but I can't tell you that definitively. I also don't know about the clips or the seam. Try calling Blanco tomorrow with these questions, and if you could post back their answers, I'd appreciate it too!

• 12 years ago

Wow - you guys got me thinking now!!! We just got a 32" Blanco Silgranit and I think our base is is around the same size. Need to check ASAP since cabinets are going in Monday and template on Wend.

• 12 years ago

popmam- I don't have a silgranite sink, but a marble/soapstone one ie: VERY heavy! I was told by the sink fabricator (who works with soapstone all the time and really knows his stuff!) that 1X lumber was PLENTY strong enough to hold the sink and it's contents. I specifically asked about using 2x4 supports and was told that was overkill. My sink is 30" wide. Since I have soapstone counters, the sink will not be attached to those.
    HTH!

• 12 years ago

I'm going to call the fabricator today just to verify what they did. I did look at the installation guide for the Blanco sinks and they don't mention a bracing system...just clips, but truthfully I like the idea of wood holding rhe sink rather than just epoxied clips in granite...I think I just expected thatit would be both.
    Oldhousegal: thanks for the info. The sink isn't terribly heavy now...maybe 45 lbs, but we are going to install a garbage disposal and I don't want to worry about my Thanksgiving turkey falling into my sink base! I was thinking that. Maybe some 2 x 4 reinforcement would be good...so I guess I just might be a worrier. ( although lumber is cheap and overkil might be worth peace of mind) ;)

I may give Blanco a call today...I'll let you know what they say!

• 12 years ago

Popmom, you don't want the epoxy, whatever you do. If your sink fails someday, they may crack your granite when trying to remove it.

My fab guy was just here measuring and really liked the wood supports that the contractor put in. He said he will not need the clips in this application although I will save them.

• 12 years ago

popmom2, My fabricator just left after installing my granite and silgranit sink. I asked about the support and he repeated oldhousegal's post almost word for word. He also stated that he never uses epoxy and always uses a wood (1X) support system for sinks. HTH

• 12 years ago

Colorfast and suzie2003: thank you so much...I feel better now. I didn't have a chance to talk to the fabricator today, but it seems as though they did it correctly. They were very familiar with the silgranit sinks (which was part of the reason why we selected them). We did bids with two other places that said they could do the install, but they did not seem like they had done many composite sinks before...and my contractor has never installed one either...not as common in my area I guess.

• 12 years ago

Timely topic for me...just reviewing placement of my 2 silgranit sinks in preparation for templating Monday. My contractor is planning on routing out the plywood and having the sink lip sit on that ledge without using the clips. He thinks the fabricator then epoxies the marble to the plywood and lip of the sink, though now that you mention the sink replacement factor, I may have him just silicone the sink edge. Wasn't impressed with Blanco's instructions...especially for mounting my Diamond drop in as an undermount.

OT, what reveal did you choose?

• 12 years ago

Our fabricator really encouraged a negative reveal, but I didn't want a large one. I gave him the template that came with the sink and saw that it was a slightly positive reveal. He said he would follow that if we wanted him to...we ended up having him move the template in about 1/8". It actually ended up being nearly flush...maybe a hair negative...but looks pretty flush. I am happy with it.

• 12 years ago

Thanks popmom. I'm struck with a bad case of decisionitis these days...any input helps!