Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

Anyone do low profil flush mounts instead of recessed lights?

15 years ago

I was wondering if anyone had chosen to do a very low profile flush mount instead of the typical recessed lights. I am not a huge fan of recessed lights, but I know that they may be the best type of lighting to go with for overall and task light. Is there any sort of traditional style fixture out there that would fit the bill just as well? Also, I have 8' ceilings, so I am not sure if this be problematic.

The only other ceiling fixtures I will have are 2 small-medium sized "french wire" style chandeliers- (depending on the layout, either two over a long table, or one oer the table, and one over the island/peninsula).

Anybody have pics? Thoughts?

Comments (9)

• 15 years ago

What is it that you dont like about recessed? Conventional bulb fixtures are about all I can think of.

• 15 years ago

I'm also not crazy about the way recessed lights look - they seem very generic to me. Wonderfully functional, but generic.

I have a tiny 7x10 galley kitchen, and I've decided to go with a center ceiling fixture plus undercabinet lighting. I'm still deciding which fixture. Originally I was thinking a simple flush mount with maybe a marblized (alabaster?) glass for interest. Now I'm thinking I'm going to go semi-flush - a lot of them only come down about 10 inches, but they look quite a lot nicer than the flush mounts. My ceilings are a little higher than yours, about 100".

Look at some of the online lighting stores. csnlighting.com has a great filter engine; bellacor.com carries some additional brands that csn doesn't.

• 15 years ago

I have recessed light chandeliers in my kitchen that do not take up any visual space. They are from Beaux Artes. Beaux Artes also has recessed light medallions, without any crystals. They are an update to recessed lights.

Here's a pic of my recessed light chandeliers:

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed Light Medallions

• 15 years ago

jache723- I am not nuts about recessed lights because they seem out of place with the age of my home and the decor. I am also not fond of the "bare bulb" look. My aesthetic is traditional (I am planning an unfitted French inspired kitchen), and my home is red brick, built in 1942.

My plan does not include any uppers (two hutch cabs that will sit on the countertop and some open shelves), so I have no place to put undercabinet lighting. I may or may not light the hutches- this is an "extra" that may have to be trimmed due to budget. So, aside from the 2 chandeliers aforementioned, I need additional lighting.

charlikin- I will check out those links.

Islander- I have never seen anything like that before! They are very pretty. I don't think the crystals would work for me, but I will check out the other styles available from Beaux Artes.

• 15 years ago

I share the "naked light bulb" phobia! Do the Rejuvenation styles such as Thurman and Baxter work for you, or do you need something flatter than that?

I am finding that I use my above-sink light (Lombard from Rejuvenation) quite a lot, and the pendants above the island much less. I'd recommend either a ceiling light or two good sconces near the sink. Undercabinet lighting is good focused task lighting, so make sure you have some equivalent task lighting (ceiling lighting isn't good enough except in the very smallest kitchens) near your main prep surface.

• 15 years ago

I don't like recessed lites either. I'm sorry but they remind me too much of what you do in basement family rooms. I have a new semi flush that I love as my main kitchen lite (very bright with 3 100s and dimmable) and will need something for over my penninsula....was going to go for pendants but now I'm rethinking that option too, wondering if there are any smallish flushmounts that are not recessed for that area.

anyway, good luck amberley, I'll be watching the thread.

• 15 years ago

look at the before pic in this thread...is that the kind of fixture your talking about?
    I have no idea what it is by the way

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0722383431827.html

• 15 years ago

jache- sort of, but much too modern. It seems like everything that is that flat is way too modern.

bluekit- I forgot to mention that I will have two wall sconces (prob 2 light each) flanking the sink- they will have the hutches on the other side (hutch, wall light, sink, wall light, hutch). Do I need a light directly over the sink? The wall lights will probably have fabric shades, I have looked at Rejuvenation (have one in my current kit), but I do want something that is as flat as possible.

I did look at the links for bellacor and the recessed light medallions and found a couple of possiblities. Although you can still see the "naked" bulb, it is an improvement.

What do you think of these?

Bellacor recessed trim:
    {{!gwi}}

Beaux Artes trim:
    {{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

I really like the one from Bellacor-- will check it out.

Like you, I have somewhat traditional taste. The design concept of the house was that it look as though it *could* have been built in 1908 instead of 2008, with minimal updating.

Though I used around 30 cans in the kitchen, I also did the ceiling in bead board with beams in a way that hides the cans. from a distance, you can't see the cans at all, which means you really only see them if you tip your head back. It isn't a perfect solution, but it helps.

A solution I thought about but ultimately rejected because I have too darn many lights [and the $ add up] is using essentially a 'mini-mini-pendant', or mini pendant without the down rod/chain/etc:

This one is also from bellacor, the only one I could find in a hurry. There are others out there, though.

It's less than ten inches, so you'd have more than 7 feet of clear space with an 8ft ceiling.