Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittu

Kohler Stages Sink - is the 33 ok?

13 years ago

After decided we just can't spent $900 for a Franke sink and then add hundreds more for the accessories, I watched the video for Kohler's Stages sinks. Wow, that's just about as much functionality as you could possibly stuff into a sink, I think I'm in love. The question is will I love the 33 inch version.

I'm not a serious chef. I know I'll use the cutting board and I'll probably use the tray and bowls to carry things over to the range top. But I don't know that the tray has to actually be sitting in the sink for that purpose. I can see having it next to the sink and being just fine to use.

If I go for the 45 then I have to give up my double 50 quart garbage can pullout. Not sure I really want to do that. I'd also have to re-jigger my cabinets on that side (although I might have to do that anyway if I put the faucet centered over the drain).

Also, how is the bowl size on the 33? Does it seem big enough? Is it bigger than the bowl you'd get on a regular double sink.

Oh owners of this amazing sink, please dish...

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• 13 years ago

brittu;

I have the 45 version and I really like it. I find that I typically do not use the wood cutting board and the trays at the same time. What I really like the plastic trays are for using spice rubs on meats that I'm taking to the grill, and also for putting hot soapy water in the smaller one for holding meat-contaminated knives, so I don't contaminate the sink with just those.

A couple months ago I posted my personal review of the sink. You may have read it already -- I do want to point out that I did not use the accessory tray below, but rather, put a drawer and a garbage pullout below the shallow end of the sink.

I would def use the sink again -- if I was cramped for space I'd go with the smaller, but I do love the large size.

Here is a link that might be useful: my review of the stages sink

• 13 years ago

This is a genius sink design and I can't imagine anyone wouldn't love it. Makes me want to reno all over again!

The issue I see on the 33" is the 21" sink bowl. I'd do a paper template and see if you think it's big enough for you.

Also, I don't think anyone needs to be some fabulous cook to have a well designed, practical sink, which this is. Plus, it does something which makes perfect sense that other sinks don't do.

• 13 years ago

Thanks. I think I've got my husband convinced (even though he maintains he hates stainless sinks). Just have to find one for him to look at in person.

• 13 years ago

I saw a 33" at Davis & Warshaw in Manhattan and definitely thought it was too small to be practical (at least for my needs). My KD (henrybuilt) is able to put the ledge of the sink over the trash pull-out (I think my contractor will have to remove the accessory tray hook that is under there though) - you might check with your cabinet manufacturer to make sure you can't do the same.

• 13 years ago

If it helps, stainless sinks are practical, bulletproof, impossible to stain, they absorb nothing do not rust and with some bar keeper's easy to maintain. They are like buying a truck. Perhaps he can relate LOL

• 13 years ago

I plan on getting the 33" for my prep sink on the island and have a larger clean up sink elsewhere. If it was to be my only sink I would go with the 45" version.

I measured my double bowl sinks now and neither side is 21" so this prep sink will be larger than what I am using now.

• 12 years ago

I liked the idea of the 45" Staaes sink but wanted to have two sink bowls so that prep could be done at the same time there are dirty dishes. Does anyone know of Stages type sink with two bowls separate with a low baffle?
    My other consideration is installing the Stages 33" with an adjacent 18" sink.