Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

What do you keep on your countertops?

15 years ago

Do you have more decorative items or just the most used small appliances such as toaster/toaster oven, coffee maker, and blender? Do you keep them mainly all on one counter so the other counter space is free? TIA ;o)

Comments (12)

• 15 years ago

When bringing the old kitchen things back in once the room was completed, I found I wanted a cleaner look. I put only what I find necessary for everyday on the counters. You can't see it, but there's a Kitchenaid mixer on the counter next to the fridge. I don't use it everyday, but I'm afraid if I put it away I'll never use it because it's so heavy to move (like the bread machine).

Since this picture was taken I've found the red bowl is just a catch-all for stuff and has been moved to another area. I'm enjoying the open counters feel.

Dianne

{{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

for me, less is more, I have all of our appliances, even the electric can opener on a shelf in our pantry. The only exception is the coffee maker. I don't drink coffee so we've created a special coffee station on a small counter for my DH, which he absolutely loves.

• 15 years ago

Dian that kitchen is beautiful by the way.
    Since the remodel (which is probably just about done except for paint) I do have less on the countertops than I did, but I do keep the coffeemaker, paper towels, a glass cutting board and a knfe thingy out all the time and the island has a nice big bowl of fruit most of the time... and some mail..... I do have 2 or 3 more decorative items out and try to limit DH's "crap hold all" to the little counter that is at the other end of the kitchen so it doesnt jar me visually .
    Reality being what it is though, as much as I would love more bare counters, they are not going to happen. But I guess to answer your question, I have scaled back on the "stuff" that is on the counters but it is still a lived in home.

• 15 years ago

We have quite a bit of stuff out on the countertops in our little (64 sq ft) kitchen, including a dish drainer and a toaster oven. We started out with virtually empty countertops after the remodel, but it didn't look or feel like a real kitchen to us. One of DW's more telling remarks was, "It looks like we've been robbed."

• 15 years ago

My kitchen is "BIG"! I don't need to keep anything on the counter, but a co-worker I showed a finished kitchen pic to said it looked weird without anything on the counters......soooooooooooooo.....I started buying cute junk. I just consider it "decorating"......like all the other junk I have sitting out. :0)
    {{!gwi}}

• 15 years ago

Well... right now my kitchen counters are covered with hurricane supplies! But typically, I have out the coffee maker, a toaster oven, paper towels, some fruit, and my mixer on the opposite counter. Oh.. and a couple of decorative things as well. I'd prefer to have even less and when/if we remodel; I plan on keeping the toaster oven on a counter in our walk in pantry and would also like to put the coffee maker there if I could talk my DH into it. (like lukki he's the only coffee drinker in the house) I like open uncluttered expanse of space.

• 15 years ago

I too am keeping my kitchen counters "cleaner" since the remodel. I have a lot more space in my cupboards and drawers since I went to full extension and frameless cabs. What a difference in a small kitchen (9' X 11").

I have a small desk organizer (actually it is a square basket at the moment but I will be switching it out for a small organizer) to hold a pen and sticky notes for phone calls (it's next to the phone)and a box of tissues. I have my spoon and pot lid holder next to the stove. I have my knife block and a small towel rack to hold my two towels. That is it! For the entire kitchen! I get to enjoy my beautiful granite.

Of course, right now, I have my Kitchenaid out as I am doing practice runs on items I will be entering in the county fair baked goods contests, but that is it for appliances. My mixer and other appliances are in my step-in pantry. Everything else is in cupboards and drawers. Very different from my "prior" kitchen. BTW, I hate coffee so no coffee maker, nor a toaster. I don't eat bread (crazy huh?--just never started again after I lost a lot of weight--now I just have to stop eating the stuff I am making for the fair!)

• 15 years ago

nicole... OT... what's the name of your stone? Beautiful!

• 15 years ago

As little as possible and nothing that doesn't serve a purpose - nothing for looks only. I don't have enough counterspace for that. My coffee maker, bean grinder and paper towel holder are in one little section that is out of sight when you walk into kitchen - knife block and small cutting board in prep section - bowl of fruit in another section - TV, phone, kleenex, landing space in the other remaining section of counter space. Toaster in a drawer, other small appliances in a cabinet.

• 15 years ago

Dianne, you have a gorgeous kitchen! The red 'statement bowl' definitely is enough and adds just the right amount of oomph.

Thank you everyone! Seems it's a toss up to keep small appliances on the counter or hidden out of sight. I couldn't possibly have a counter top with *nothing*, but i've given up coffee, don't eat toast n the morning no tv in the kitchen, threw the block for knives away, I haven't a clew what will go on the counters, and i'll have lots of them! ;o)

• 15 years ago

Coffee maker, toaster oven, paper towels, bowl of fruit and the Bose Wave radio on perimeter counters. Our island is completely empty except for the occasional vase of fresh flowers........

• 15 years ago

Dianne, what is your counter material? Love the red bowl, but I do know how "dangerous" such catch-alls can be and they quickly become unsightly. I'm moving toward white cabinets and black counters. Is that bead board back splash? Love the look.