Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

4 in. granite backsplash the tile the rest?? Anyone? Pics??

15 years ago

Although our new house is almost done, I am always tweaking the one where we currently reside. I have a bunch of left over subway tile & thought I might do subway in this kitchen.

Here's the deal, I already have a 4 inch granite backsplash. Has anyone done subway above granite? If so, were you happy with results? Do you have pics you could share?

This would be an easy, quick project to do if I was so inclined. Don't want to do it if it would just be overkill, but do like the idea of using up all that extra tile.

So, please if you have pics of such a look could you send them my way. TIA

Here is current kitchen & walls where I am considering subway.

Comments (9)

• 15 years ago

I wouldn't tile above the granite, I'd just leave the wall color. I like the way it flows down by the window to fill the space.

To me, tile to the counter looks as though you like tile. But a granite splash with tile above usually looks like you wanted to fill the space but couldn't afford all granite.

I think it would be wise to tile behind the range, though, or do a stainless backsplash running all the way to the vent hood.

• 15 years ago

Thanks oruboris -I do have stainless steel back w/ wire shelf that is going up behind range. I appreciate the comments & don't feel compelled to do anything unless I felt new homeowners would think it was a plus.

• 15 years ago

I like your granite. Is it Tropic Brown? If not do you know the name of it? I have white cabinets and I am about ready to purchase granite counters.

• 15 years ago

organic nettie -- I do not for sure know. When we put this granite in we were told it was ST. Cecelia. I do not believe this is right. It is much more colorful than any samples of S.C. that I have seen since. Someone else said they thought it was New Venetian Gold ? I don't really know, but it is more like that.

I must say, I love the granite. I was ready to use it in new house but decided to go with my true love , blacked honed.

I took a up close pic of it for someone else and can post it if you want.

• 15 years ago

yes, please do

• 15 years ago

It's hard to tell giallo ornamental apart from, new venetian gold, santa cecilia and a few others, but for the benefit of Organic Nettie, from what I can see, I really do not think that that granite is tropic brown. Tropic brown has a tight grain and no real movement.

- Jim

• 15 years ago

It looks like Santa Cecilia to me. The New Venetian Gold that I've seen has a lot less black and less "flow" than what is shown here. And the Giallo Ornamental has an overall lighter tone.

• 15 years ago

Hi there,

I have granite with a 4" backsplash of granite and tile above. I like the look but recently changed out my granite and will be going with matte white subway tiles above the 4" backsplash. I think it looks nice and its easier to clean than just the paint.

I guess its a matter of taste but I disagree that tiling above makes it look like you couldn't afford the granite to do it all. My counters are a honed jet mist and I simply didn't want that much dark gray/black on the walls. Just a little to even it out and then white above. Again, matter of taste :)

• 15 years ago

fullpass -- any pics? I would sure love to see them. I definitely agree on the "easier to clean" issue.
    My only goal is to make somewhat universally appealing as I want to be in the "sold it quick" camp after we are done.