Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsunami2

New Winter/Spring Bulb catalogues.

18 years ago

Time to strike up a new subject since its been a bit quiet.

So anyone planning to or already done ordering winter/spring flowering bulbs this year?

Most online and bulk suppliers have released their new catalogues. Just out of interest to see if anyone has an story to tell.. any results etc.

I've ordered from both Windyhill flowers and for my first time trying out some fancy daffodils from expensive Hancocks's selective strains. and a mix of other common bulbs such as scilla, freesias, belladonnas and jonquil mainly for vase.

Im just worried if temperatures here are low enough in winter for the fancy daffs. since the average winter minimum is around 6 - 9 degrees here. and i already know tulips don't grow here without a fridge. but i have seen some daffs and jonquils around during the end of the cold months.

Comments (14)

• 18 years ago

If you are in NSW coastal lowlands, e.g. Sydney suburbs, central coast and the like, I suspect you will not get flowers from your daffodils past the first year. They need so many hours of winter chill below a certain temperature to initiate floral buds for the next season. My guess is the ones you see flowering are newly planted and the bulbs have already been adequately chilled.

The only narcissi that seem to flower consistently in this climate are what Australians like to call 'jonquils', actually derived from N. tazetta not N. jonquilla.

In the Blue Mountains and tableland towns daffodils flower well every year.

Of course you can always lift the bulbs after leaves have all withered and store them in the refrigerator for a month or so, but that's a lot of work, beside taking up useful fridge space.

Do other GardenWebers from this climate zone have different experience?

• 18 years ago

oh..thanks for your input tonyfromoz and i know you mean well to share your experience but i have to admit thats very disheartening to hear. How about any experience with scilla or muscari or even anemones?

I am in sydney suburbs and i have notice winter here are abit warmer than a decade ago i could might as well upgrade my area to zone 10 however i have seen some older gardening text labelling us as zone 9. (thanks to global warming aye)

If i really do fall in love with my narcissus i might have to put in the extra care of chilling them in the fridge.. btw any idea of the temperature of chill they need?

• 18 years ago

Neither on line, nor bulk, but if you want to try something different, Hill View Rare Plants in Tassie have some wonderful things on offer.
    Over 500 different bulbs, mostly species or close to, including Crocus, fritillaria, cyclamen, narcissus, galanthus, Iris. Not for the feint hearted - many of these take dedication to grow, but it is sooo much more exciting to get down on your hands and knees, to see your first galanthus bloom, than to have a bed full of daffodils in bloom. Of course I wouldn't be without the daffs either.
    No photos in the catalogue, but then that's what the internet is for - hours of researching what you might buy.
    I think there are probably many keen warmer climate gardeners who have refrigerators dedicated to storing their Spring Flowering bulbs. I certainly would.
    I am about to find room in the fridge to scarify my bearded iris seeds before planting in Autumn. It's part of the fun of gardening. Leave the tomatoes and stone fruit out on the bench to keep their flavour. Use the extra space for your bulbs!
    Cheers, Jan

• 18 years ago

Hi I can grow jonquils here, but not daffs they will flower but just the first year.
    You should not have any with trouble with Anemones or Ranunculi.
    I usually buy them at Big W at the end of the selling season when they are throwing them out cheap
    That way I pick up around 100 or so for $2 and I have already got mine months ago
    And will plant them this month, This will give me beautiful display when they start flowering in July.
    Down your way they would probably flower a little later.....Cheers...MM.

• 18 years ago

hmm thats very encouraging and interesting to hear MM. and i know your from a more sub-tropical climate? thats a slight notch above my area. So how is winter up there? i mean whats the average winter min temperature yous get? As for the anemones... im just giving them a go i've been reading i have to plant them the right way up since they have a confusing claw like bulb. and oh yes.. the bulbs are already shipping receiving them any day now.. what a early harvest.

The only bulbs i know that do really well here are Freesias, Hippeastrums and Belladonnas because we've still got them here every year..
    Especailly Hippeastrums hardy and they can multiply quiet mad with age.

• 18 years ago

Yes I grow heaps of hippys, aggies, freesia, Clivia Canna lily ( day lilies if you want some for postage e-mail me and I will send you some pics ).

You have got me going back through my Diary here...Winter days low 20's for June a couple of 17- 19 in Mid July then by end of July back to high teens. Night time temps can get as low as 3 degs mid July but most are around 10-12. We only get about 6 weeks of winter weather from mid June to end of July..Cheers..MM.

• 18 years ago

Babiana grows very well along the coastal areas of NSW. It is South Afican and it can take dry conditions as well.

• 18 years ago

I thank you for your suggestions Sparaxis, MM and robert :P
    I'm still a new thumb at this though i do grow cyclamen for some reason they still haven't stop producing its new growth on leaves.. and occasionally a few flowers.. even now. Should i take them to a dry place and keep it out of the rain so that they may dry off to go dormant? or let them be. I'm thinking because of the weekly rainfall or 2 that they are still growing. Anyone elses cyclamen still doing this?. It is near late summer now. Oh and MM i have seen enough daylilies during this spring / early summer season 2005 because the council actually grows and care for a huge patch of them near the public shopping district here, but thanks anyway.

• 18 years ago

I am a bit disappointed actually. I had ordered and paid from a mail order bulb place last year and was told there was a shipment going out in February. I have contacted Tesslaar, Vogelvry, Broensons and Van diemans and none have any recollection of order. I am now just wondering if it was another firm, if I have wasted my money and if anything will show up. I guess I should really not it down but experience has proven to be a very dear lesson. Jan

• 18 years ago

It's only early Feb Jan. They will probably still show up.
    I always have a problem with bulb orders - not a bad problem though. I am always thoroughly surprised when I get a parcel of bulbs at the PO, and wonder who it is from. I always forget what I have ordered. I don't think I have ever had an order not come through.
    Cheers, Jan

• 18 years ago

Just to let you know Windyhill bulb orders has arrived. :)

• 18 years ago

Hi all. Further to my post on missing bulbs
    Found bulbs. Apparently I had ordered from Bulbs dirwect and it was the only firm I hadn't contacted. They turned up this week to my sheer relif. Jan

• 18 years ago

Just got mine from Lake nurseries, and Marcus Harvey in Tas. Must be time to plant. Finding the time in the garden is so difficult at present.

• 18 years ago

Cools.. what did you guys/gals order?