Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sean_hull

Raised Bed - How to Deal with Dogs

9 years ago

We purchased a house a couple years ago that had a horribly overgrown garden in the back. I spent the past two years cleaning it up to the point that we are ready to build some raised beds. We have room for four 8' x 4' raised beds.

The problem is that we have a large boxer that kind of rules the back yard. He is super sweet, but he ripped out the giant rose bushes from the sides so that he could lay in the coolest spots. He didn't mind the spikes (not thorns, these things had SPIKES). He ate through the side of the hot tub we had out back last year.

What are some suggestions on how to build, and deter the dog from eating our crops?

My initial thought was a 24" height. The soil under is horrible, so it would allow us to fill some good soil, and I originally thought it would be high enough to deter him from digging. However, he got so big the past year that 24" is right about head height now.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• 9 years ago

I couldn't resist posting this link after it came up in a Google search for "picket fence" "raised beds." ( https://www.houzz.com/photos/picket-fence-garden-phbr0lbl-bl~l_46707 ;o)

I know they can climb. My brother had a Boxer and stayed several years at my parents' house after I'd left. Despite a board fence Bro built, he (the Boxer, not Bro) would climb over it ... to make trouble in the neighborhood. Oh, it was the neighborhood dogs that had the most trouble from him. We used to make the joke that if strangers actually climbed over the fence, he'd greet them with, "Did you come to play, huh, huh??!

Maybe a picket fence around some boxes with "boring green stuff" wouldn't be interesting enough for him to jump or climb over.

Another idea is something like my hoop house. It goes up in March and comes down in June but you could leave it up all year. It covers two garden beds.

A change of covering from plastic film to bird netting would be nice. Maybe a low fence around that thing would deter the dog from digging or chewing his way in ...

Steve

• 9 years ago

I use a picket fence to keep the neighborhood mongrels out. There is only one that actually will go in to "investigate" the garden (if I am forgetful and leave the gate open) but, he doesn't really dig, but I've had some thing gets trampled. Anyways, my lack of vigilance notwithstanding, the fence does a fine a job keeping out the dogs, now, if only it would keep out the neighbors cats who keep going in there to sh*t in my freshly manicured beds >:(

• 9 years ago

A 24 inch raised bed then a decorative metal fence type of edging should keep him out. As far as cats go, we live on a farm and need to have at least a few. I would fight them, but, while I was thinking a freshly planted garden, they were thinking that they had a freshly dug litter box and it was great fun. Finally I figured it out. Right after I plant seeds or before I plant seedlings, I lay down chicken wire. The cats can't/won't bother anymore. If I had a dog that was digging my roses ect, I would try the same around those beds.

• 9 years ago

Good information from all, thank you.

To be clear. We have a fenced back yard with a 8' privacy fence. So the only critter I need to worry about is the boxer :D

I've found a couple designs I liked, one one as suggested, a 24" raised bed with a top on it. I liked the idea of a 10" chicken wire top on it to serve as a small trellis as well.

Barb, I'll admit our boxer does not get as much exercise as he needs. We go on family walks a few times a week and he comes along, and we all play with him inside and out. I think he is trained enough now that we can go to a dog park. Like you said, he can RUN, and loves to do it, but we don't have the space. When he tries in the back and rips up the grass. We really just have a big mudpit back there now.

• 9 years ago

Thanks for understanding, Sean! You asked for help on fencing and I went off on a dog training rant. Too much coffee this morning waiting for it to warm up outside.

If your soil is bad, raised beds would be a good way to go. I think I'd reinforce the chicken wire top with T posts at least in the corners. Overbuild it so if/when he tests it he can't get in.

• 9 years ago

I like digit's idea of a hoop house, but skip the bird netting and use 1" chickenwire or welded wire. Why go through all that work only to have a sturdy dog create more headaches? Go strong at first, do it once, and be happy. (I have two dogs...)