Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twinkletoad

Rose Sherlocks unite!

9 years ago

:) I'm trying to identify this mystery rose.

I hope it's ok to post this here. I tried posting on another forum and got no responses, so I hoped someone here might help.

I inherited this rose from my old house and it holds a special place in my heart because when I moved to my very own first, "real" house, my sweet grandfather took a shovel, dug it up, and put it in a wheel barrow to take with me to my new home. It was the last thing put on the moving truck and it will always be my sentimental favorite. It would be at the top of my favorites list anyway, because it's beautiful, tough and so fragrant!

WHAT I KNOW ABOUT IT:

It was planted in my old yard sometime before 1988. It looks like a hybrid tea to me.

It's a tough rose - it survived being dug up and flourished for several years in red clay, un-amended soil in a HOT, humid, southern sun location.

It has wicked large thorns, is VERY FRAGRANT, and the foliage is somewhat matte, not glossy (very different from Aloha or Viking Queen, for example). It tends to get black spot here in NC. New stem growth and leaves have a dark purply-red hue.

The blooms are quite large (last year they were HUGE) and on the cool side of red, usually leaning more towards magenta, but still red. No orange whatsoever. The buds are deep red.

Anyone have a guess? I wondered about Mr. Lincoln or Chrysler Imperial...

Comments (11)

• 9 years ago

Ha, well the minute I posted this, I see Jackie commented on my other post that I should come over here with my question. Thank you, Jackie!

• 9 years ago

Thanks, praties!

• 9 years ago

I thought Mr Lincoln too. It blooms on the end of upright canes.

twinkletoad thanked countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
  • 9 years ago

The slightly shiny petal reverse shown in the first picture doesn't look right for Mr. Lincoln. How about Alec's Red?

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=120

AR is consistently a bright, almost fluorescent, red. Mr Lincoln's color varies with the weather but is usually darker than shown in your pictures. Sometimes it is purplish.

twinkletoad thanked michaelg
  • 9 years ago

Clever Michael! Bet that's it...

:¬)

• 9 years ago

Much older, but a proven survivor in red clay is Red Radience. It goes back and was one of the great ones of its day. I've never seen a great one, but it was THE rose of its day and worked for many as a passalong.

I'm not sure that Mr Lincoln does that well own root in red clay.

twinkletoad thanked stillanntn6b
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Reds are notorious for saturating digital camera sensors if one does not take appropriate measures when photographing them, producing effects such as 'shine' and off-colours (pinkish or magenta). On top of that, judging colour subtleties from a random picture (assumingly not under a controlled colour managed process from exposure through processing and publishing to viewing in one's browser) is always an iffy proposition. Having said that I trust Micheal's experience. To me it looks like Mr. Lincoln but so would a number of other bright red HT's.

PS. I think the poster should let us know to what extent the pics look thruthful to the real thing (even then what one sees in one's browser maybe different from what another person sees in his).

Example of false colours produced by sensor saturation in the red channel

twinkletoad thanked nikthegreek
  • 9 years ago
    The full plant photos are a pretty good representation of the true pinkish red color. Sometimes the are a little darker, especially as they start to fade, but never a true, primary red.

Looking at the photos of Chrysler Imperial and Mr. Lincoln, I think my flowers more closely resemble Chrysler Imperial. Mr. Lincoln's look like they have a different form. Some of the photos on helpmefind show what I understand to be a quartered center on Mr. Lincoln and my flowers never have that. The majority of Alec's Red photos look too pink.
    Leaning towards CI.
  • 9 years ago

twinkletoad, Based on habit, and fully open blooms, I'd say this is Mr. Lincoln. Mine always show delightful gold stamens when fully open. Chrysler Imperial has very high centered blooms of perfect rose shape and the blooms tend to fold under at the edges. What ever your rose is, it is certainly lovely! Any rose with great fragrance and large red blooms is lovely to me.

Jack

twinkletoad thanked Verdi Guy
  • 9 years ago

Thanks so much to all of you for chiming in to help! I love this community of gardeners! :)

I'm going to be on the look out for Mr. Lincoln at the local nurseries and gardens since it's much easier to make comparisons in real life.