Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehuns27

Red Horn Tree and Break Dancer!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Marguerite so very kindly sent me a cutting of her 'Red Horn Tree'. This was on the very top of my "want" list and I am very happy to have this fellow from Ireland! I expect to see roots soon!

I also unexpectedly acquired this Crassula arborescens 'Break Dancer'. I'm letting it dry out a bit and then will do a repot.

Bottom left is a very monstrose leaf! It looks like two leaves fused together on top of each other. I don't really know much about this plant but I am looking forward to learning about it as it grows.

-Erica

Comments (71)

• 8 years ago

Maybe there are different clones of Hummel's Sunset too, because my Hummel's Sunset grows quite fast, I think.

• 8 years ago

Oksana- I have a 'Crosbys Compact.' are you telling me that during the winter time mine will turn the same color as yours in the picture?? Please let that be true!

• 8 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Oksana. Always feel welcome to share information and knowledge!

That would also explain why my 'Hummel's Sunset' is less colorful right now than I would like. It's getting lots of sun but it is very hot out!

I have never seen a 'Crosby's Compact' like yours that loses so much of it's green under those conditions. I typically see them with dark red on the bottom of the leaves and vibrant green on top. Is yours possibly the Himeougonkagetsu? (Christopher, how is yours doing?)

I have also seen two different 'Hummel's' plants before, one being 'Sunset' with no variegation, and one being 'Ghost' with variegation (the last photo you posted, in the middle). I know there have been several discussions about the 'Hummel's Ghost' on here. Marguerite, don't you have one of those as well?

I find the lineage of many jades very intriguing - but frustrating all in the same!

-Erica

• 8 years ago

Erica, plants look great!

Marguerite, I don't want to burst your bubble but propagating Red Horn from leaf cuttings does not work. Of course, you can be the exception. I was given a leaf cutting of Red Horn and Break Dancer and neither of them came out true to form.

I had read where Josh tried to do it, also, and was told on that thread it doesn't grow true to form from a leaf but since I was given the leaf cuttings, I went ahead and potted them up. It took them a long time to start showing growth but one looks like the regular jade and the other obliqua. It's always fun to try. I've even noticed some gollums turn out to be a regular jade.

(I enjoy my plants and don't get too technical with them so I can't explain all the cultural verbiage. I'll leave that to the others.)

• 8 years ago

Camellia, which did the 'Break Dancer' revert to?

-Erica

• 8 years ago

Obliqua

• 8 years ago

Too many questions, I don't have enough vocabulary for answers.
    marguerite

'Hummel's Sunset' grows faster if it's green and the chlorophyll number is a lot.

Neil

I don't know. To get these colors, days should be very bright and nights should be cold to 32-59 F. Moreover, the light should contain a bit green component, so that the chlorophylls are not formed and more flavonoids were synthesized.

My led-fixture is my problem. My some Jades are beautiful but they don't grow. Only 'Hobbit' and 'Crosby's Compact' grow with noticeable speed. May be because of are they non-variegated? Now I'm doing everything in order to get green plants.

No, Erica, my 'Hummel's Sunset' is real, non 'Hime Ougon Kagetsu'. I know for sure.

Excuse me please, but I have made some pics for exact compare

• 8 years ago

Beautiful!

• 8 years ago

Thank you oksana

• 8 years ago

Hi Oksana-

I thought you said you grow your jades inside under led lights,if your indoor temperature

ranges from 32-59 F please remind me never to visit Siberia.

Richard

• 8 years ago

Yes indeed, Erica, I do have Hummel's Ghost. I am trying to propagate from it at the moment, as it suffered really badly from sunburn. A bit of a surprise in Ireland. Did some people here think it was the same as Akai jade, does anyone remember?

If a plant such as Break Dancer reverts to a plant such as C. obliqua, does this mean that is where it started originally? Camellia, you mention a Gollum leaf reverting to regular jade, but I read somewhere it started from C. ovata minor.

• 8 years ago

Oksana, you get some beautiful colours with your Jades. I am wondering if your cooler temperatures are inhibiting the growth, however...What do you think?

Christopher

• 8 years ago

Hi all!

and thank you all!
    Richard
    there are my indoor night temperatures in winter. Daily winter temperatures are 59-82 F.
    Really our summers are short, it's 50-72 F now. But it was warm (above and about 86 F) without rain within 1,5 month in last year. So my summer temperatures are 50-104 F .
    marguerite
    I think Gollum started from C. ovata. Because it's reverted to C.ovata always. And do you remember little Gollum leaf at Ben's 'Denethor'?
    Christopher

I had fluorescent luminaire in the year before. My Jades grew very well and rather quickly under it. Although temperatures and distances to the fixtures were the same. And my plants did not have such colors.

• 8 years ago

A little more of your attention please. My little experiment with the light

Left Ovata was grown under a fluorescent lamp at lower temperatures on the bottom shelf (up to 64 F), Ovata in the middle and 'Hummel's sunset' were growing under an led lamp on the top shelf at a daily temperature of on average 75 F. Night temperatures were the same. Initially both Ovata and 'Hummel's sunset' had the same number of leaves.

• 8 years ago

It turned out the light spectrum affects the growth rate and the leaf color greatly.

Neil, I forgot to clarify that the green light interferes with the synthesis of the chlorophylls. When the amount of the chlorophylls decreases, the flavonoid synthesis is accelerated.

• 8 years ago

Hi all !

Here is the the very first photo of Red horn Tree ever posted on the internet. I took it and posted it in 2009. I have stopped growing this plant, too big.

I have seen this cultivar for sale in french supermarket and garden centers since the middle or the end of the 90's, I don"t remember exactly.

It is often sold in fall and winter when it shows beautiful colors. There are sometimes big plants for sale (50-60 cm) with thick trunks.

3 years ago I remember having seen in a Carrefour supermarket a huge table full of very colorful Red Horn Trees. There was a special offer, 2,50 € for a 20 cm plant. I have never seen again such a quantity on display and such a low price.

In january 2010 I took a photo of the same plant with a stunning neon yellow coloration but I can't find the photo.

• 8 years ago

Oksana thank you for all your valuable information.

Laurent- Beautiful plant. What did you do with it?

• 8 years ago

There is something lovely about this plant, all the same. Maybe it's just too common on the European continent to be appreciated properly. Is it originally a French plant, Laurent?

• 8 years ago

Neil, I gave it to a friend living in colder area. He let it freeze during a cold winter.

• 8 years ago

Marguerite, the first plants were massively produced in Holland but I don't know who selected this cultivar.

• 8 years ago

Erica, if any leaves fall off when you repot 'Break Dancer', maybe one will fall into an envelope and you could send it to me. :-] That is such a lovely looking plant, I hope you post often on its progress!

ez

• 8 years ago

Thanks, Laurent. It's fascinating how you know all this. But could you not have kept your Red Horn Tree small deliberately? I think Martin does, or did, going by his thread earlier this year.

• 8 years ago

I find it very interesting that the 'Break Dancer' reverted to an obliqua. I know there was originally some uncertainty as to whether this plant was from a C. ovata or a C. aborescens, and it does appear to be C. arborescens. From what I read on here when it was originally introduced to a select number of people around 05' / '06 time-frame they were waiting for it to bloom to confirm - but I couldn't find any updates about it. I think it is more widely recognized now as a monstrose C. arborescens.

I will be checking these two plants today to see how they are doing and probably re-pot the 'Break Dancer' into it's long-term home. There are two leaves that fell off during shipment but from the sounds of it it will not stay true to the genes from this propagation method. I am certainly hoping to get some sort of growth from them and fascinated to see what it will produce! If I get growth on both I wouldn't mind sending one, ez :).

I can't even imagine going in to a store and seeing 'Red Horn Tree' plants for sale like that! We covet those here in the States. I agree with you Marguerite, that it is perhaps not as appreciated in Europe with such large distribution and availability!

Oksana, you have some wonderful and beautiful plants. I really like that you are not afraid to experiment with lighting and temperature to see how it will affect the plant. You have some very unique collection and an impressive knowledge.

-Erica

• 8 years ago

Marguerite, Red Horn Tree is very massive, I didn't want it to fall down from my window sill because of the wind and kill one of my neighbors.
    As I prefer permanently variegated succulents, I now grow Legolas and variegated Gollum. When they get too big I will try to find a solution to keep growing them.

Marguerite, I know this because I started purchasing and growing plants when I was 9 years old (I'm 42). And for many years I was paid to buy, keep alive and sell plants for a big garden center. In 2000 I was already proposing Red Horn Tree for sale to our customers. Now I have my own business but I don't work in the plants business anymore.

Erica, I will take photos when I see some Red Horn Trees for sale.

• 8 years ago

Do you have a photo of your variegated 'Gollum', Laurent?

-Erica

• 8 years ago

Everyone- So basically all the jade varieties are from the C. ovata or the C arborescens?

• 8 years ago

Thanks Erica!

ez

• 8 years ago

Erica, I will post a photo but I'm very busy during the summer touristic season (I'm working every day in june, july and august) . May be I will only take a photo in september.

• 8 years ago

Neil, as far as I know you are correct. I am not sure where the Maruba came from, possibly ovata?

No worries, Laurent. I will look forward to it.

-Erica

• 8 years ago

Neil
    look http://dom.sibmama.ru/index.php?p=tolstjanki-2

It's my article in Russian. There are not all varieties are described. Description of the new varieties are not missing.

• 8 years ago

For the Maruba I might say arborescens.

Christopher

• 8 years ago

Christopher
    why?

• 8 years ago

Oksana- as always thank you : ) I will take a look at the link now.

• 8 years ago

Oksana, on further reflection, I have to retract that statement, seeing mine side by side.

Unfortunately the C. arborescens was not in the best condition when I got it, but few to choose from.

Christopher

• 8 years ago

Thanks for posting that wonderful link, Oksana.

• 8 years ago

I think that Crassula arborescens looks very well, Christopher.

• 8 years ago

By the way, Oksana, I am reading an English translation of your article you linked to...so informative! Excellent work.

Thanks Marguerite, but one leaf has a piece missing, and there are only six on the entire plant.

Christopher

• 8 years ago

Thank you all!

I wrote already that Maruba is translated as Ovata from Chinese and Japanese. Therefore this word cannot be the cultivar name. The name of the cultivar will be Kagetsu, meaning the Moonflower or Lotus on Chinese.

Christopher

I believe in your ability. Your Arborescens will surprise us with its beauty.
    Oksana.

• 8 years ago

Hi Oksana,

Kagetsu literatelly means just "Jade tree" ... so Kagetsu is not the best choice, too.

In my opinoin we should just stay with "Maruba", as this was the Cultivar name given in the country of origin. Moreover, Maruba is already commonly used by most of us. By the way, Maruba means "round + leaf" and ovata means "egg shaped" ...

Ben

• 8 years ago

As the saying goes, a Maruba by any other name would be just as beautiful...

Oksana, thank you. And I believe in yours as well, to make Jades look so beautiful in so cold a place.

Christopher

• 8 years ago

Thanks for sharing your article, Oksana. I, too translated it to English and read through it. A very informative article on the varieties of Jade!

Christopher, I think your 'Silver Dollar' looks great. They all start off similar to yours. I had one with only 2 leaves that now has 6. They grow pretty fast in the summer it seems and the new growth is beautiful. I think the chunky-ness of the leaves creates a lot of mechanical damage during shipment to nurseries and BBS. I'm sure yours will look wonderful in your care.

-Erica

• 8 years ago

Hi, Ben! Very happy to meeting you here. How do you do?

It's hard to argue with the pathfinder. You're the first to assign this cultivar of "Maruba". I studied later and realized the Japanese add this word with the meaning Ovata. Yes, the Japanese call all Jades the "Kagetsu". The corresponding hieroglyph means "Moon Flower" in Chinese, and is read as "Kagetsu" in Japanese. And it seems still to me that the country of origin of the "Kagetsu" is China, no Japan.

You are named this variety "Maruba" for many years and accustomed to this name. So I'm not right, I guess, when trying to accustom you to another name.
    Nobody renames "kangaroo" now. Although everyone knows at present that it means "I don't understand you" in the aboriginal language (lol).

Oksana.

• 8 years ago

Hi Oksana,

actually it was not me who first called this cultivar "Maruba". When I got my first plant from Japan I was told that it is called "Shin Kagetsu" (New Moon Flower). However, later I changed to Maruba as this was used by most other people that had imported this cultivar.

Maybe you are rigtht and the origin is China. I don´t know ...

All the best,

Ben

• 8 years ago

Really, Oksana? I did not know that about 'kangaroo'. Thanks for the info.

• 8 years ago

No, Marguerite, it's myth about James Cook.

• 8 years ago

Now I am confused. Is that Captain Cook? He was real.

• 8 years ago

Here is the 'Break Dancer' all potted up. Once I removed the old pot and soil I got my first look at the crest. I was happy I was able to pot it with this part showing. I potted it on Friday so today I am going to give it a little water. 'Red Horn Tree' is still doing great, I will probably check for signs of roots in a few days.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

-Erica

• 8 years ago

Marguerite

yes, Captain Cook!

A common myth about the kangaroo's English name is that "kangaroo" was a Guugu Yimithirr phrase for "I don't understand you."
    According to this legend, Cook and Banks were exploring the area when
    they happened upon the animal. They asked a nearby local what the
    creatures were called. The local responded "Kangaroo", meaning "I don't
    understand you", which Cook took to be the name of the creature. This
    myth was debunked in the 1970s by linguist John B. Haviland in his
    research with the Guugu Yimithirr people. (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo#Terminology )

• 8 years ago

Thanks, Oksana. Very interesting.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery