Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

Any plans for tonight?

8 years ago

DH and I are going out for dinner. Then we will go to my son and dil house for board games with the grandkids. What about you?

Comments (38)

• 8 years ago

Tonight is the one night of the year when we don't go out.

I have lobster, champagne and various goodies in the frig. Our neighbor friends may stop by early for a toast.

Happy New Year!

User thanked maddielee
  • 8 years ago

Mmm, I might stop by maddielee!

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We live on the west coast and we are having a small and very casual east coast New Years party. Ringing in the new year at the stroke of nine o'clock. My five year old is my excuse for the early end to the party, but the truth is I will be partied out by nine too. We just invited friends in the neighborhood so everyone can walk over.

User thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • 8 years ago

we haven't been out in years, but are going to a concert and then to dinner-- might even stay out til the new year-- where we're going to dinner also has live music so we'll see how much we're enjoying it!!

User thanked busybee3
  • 8 years ago

We never go out out on NYE. I don't like being on the road with all the drunks so for years when the kids were little, we had parties with the neighbors, sharing the hosting responsibilities each year. Then for a few years, we didn't do anything, just a nice dinner at home with our kids. The past two years or so, we've had two couples (neighbors) over for surf and turf, opting out of the larger neighborhood party full of little ones. This year, family friends are coming over with their kids for surf and turf. Our Oldest is spending night at her friend's house with two other girls. My 15 y/o got invited to a party, but I'm on fence about whether to let him go, mainly b/c i don't want to be driving tonight (it's only a couple of miles but still...). Having beef tenderloin, lobster, scalloped Gruyere potatoes, asparagus and still debating on what to do for dessert. Something light for the rich meal.

User thanked 4kids4us
  • 8 years ago

Staying home, safe and dry. Will no doubt be asleep long before midnight. Happy 2016 everyone!!

User thanked Bunny
  • 8 years ago

Staying in as we usually do. The weather is supposed to be iffy, as will the drivers be. Shrimp cocktail and other finger foods to munch. Hoping I don't run out of reading material - will have to resort to the TBR pile. The library is closed until Saturday. Sort of panicky about that. :) Happy New Year all!

User thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • 8 years ago

Having dinner at friends' home who are within walking distance. May stay up to ring in the new year... will see how everyone feels. But definitely want to get some decent sleep tonight because tomorrow is THE DAY we remove all Xmas decorations, including our live greenery and trees that are drooping so badly. It's bittersweet because I love our trees. But they need to go away now.

User thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Staying home. We usually go out for a nice dinner, but I'd rather stay home this year. We're going to grill lobster tails and watch movies. I doubt I'll be able to stay awake until midnight, though. :D

Happy New Year, all. :)

User thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Skibby, your evening sounds divine! I would be perfectly content eating finger foods and reading my book rather than entertaining. Alas, I suppose I can do that tomorrow. As for books, I try to keep a stack of three from the library at all times, but my library also offers many e-books for immediate download. While I prefer reading hand held books, I will read on my iPad or Nook if necessary. Reading my current book on iPad as I was 141 on wait list at library but only 35 on their wait list for the e-book. I thought I still had a couple more weeks to wait but perfectly timed, I got notified it was ready for download this week, just as I finished another novel!

User thanked 4kids4us
  • 8 years ago

Weekend company coming this evening. We'll be meeting friends for dinner then back to my house probably by 10. I'll put on a Netflix fake New Year's Eve countdown so we can toast the new year and go to bed any time we please!

User thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Staying home. I made a pot of chicken & sausage gumbo this morning. We started watching the first season of Fargo yesterday, so more episodes are on tap tonight.

Happy 2016!

User thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Since I missed Xmas with my Mum & sisters, I invited them over for dinner. But told them I have no intention of staying up until midnight so I'll be throwing them out long before that. Sleep is more important to me than a fake holiday. It works out fine because my elderly Mum doesn't like to be out late and my sisters can go on to other parties.

My best 12/31 was the time I was in Australia. It was summer and wonderfully warm. There were fireworks over the Sidney Harbour bridge. Good times.

My real New Year starts on my birthday. I don't stay up late then, either.

User thanked hhireno
  • 8 years ago

Sigh. Staying home with a couple of buckets of sand at hand while I huddle with the neighbors and their fire buckets as we watch one idiot family use the parking lot to set off fireworks about three feet away from our cars.

User thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 8 years ago

We spend New Years Eve with the same 3 couples and have done so for years. We switch homes every year and we will be going to one of the other houses. We sit down for dinner at 7:30 and basically eat until 11:30, clear the table, get out the champagne, turn on the tv, do the countdown, ring in the New Year and then leave.

We've known all the couples for 40 years (university friends) and have a really good relaxing time.

User thanked blfenton
  • 8 years ago

I have a ritual which I've followed for 30 years, which involves staying up all night until dawn; observing the dawn (and then crashing for most of New Years day). I party -- by myself -- and cook and eat and watch movies and dance and play.

In later years I 've allowed myself to doze in the wee hours (and surely will this year due to my recent poor health) but always, I always, watch the sun rise from my porch on the new year. Very important!

Sunrise is at 7:06 Mountain time for me and it will be 36 degrees. Happy New Year!

• 8 years ago

We haven't gone out in years. We usually stay home and make a nice dinner, and do some fireworks at midnight (we're in a very rural area with no close neighbors, and it's very cold with lots of snow, so no fire danger).

I am sick as a dog right now, with a raging sinus infection, chills and fever, and horrible body aches. I'm just hoping DH and DS will make themselves dinner and leave me to lie on the couch wrapped in a blanket. I can't remember the last time I've felt this miserable.

I hope you all have a very happy, safe, healthy, peaceful, prosperous 2016! I am very grateful for this little corner of the web, and hope it will thrive this year!

• 8 years ago

Staying home, there's no place I'd rather be. :c)

• 8 years ago

We just returned from having lunch with our next door neighbors. Tonight another neighbor is having anyone who wants to come over for a gathering with finger foods and desserts. Since we live in a 55+ development, most will leave well before midnight. Glad we can walk. Happy New Year!

• 8 years ago

We are treating DD and her DH to dinner at the club and the New Year's Eve party they have afterwards. The only reason I am not dreading it is spending time with my DD. If I had my way we would all meet for dinner there and then come here for a quiet rest of the evening.

I abhor NYE parties but DH insists each year. I hate having to be tortured on the last day of the old year and the first day of the new. It amazes me how many of the club members make fools of themselves, and it makes me quite uncomfortable. I guess I am a party pooper but I am not a happy camper about another overpriced, no fun evening.

ETA: I envy RoseAbbey, Auntjen, and Linelle. I love spending time with my DD but the music is usually too loud for good conversation.

• 8 years ago

Holly-Kay yes I've stopped socializing with a whole set of friends because their idea of fun is always loud music and too much drinking. You're no party pooper--just a different idea of a good time.

• 8 years ago

Thanks everyone! Wishing every body a very happy and healthy 2016. Thanks for an enjoyable and informative 2015 both in decorating and life in general conversations.

• 8 years ago

"You're no party pooper--just a different idea of a good time." Add me to the list of those who don't like loud music and too much drinking.

We will go out to dinner with a couple that we have been friends with for over 20 years. It's has become a tradition. Tonight we're going to an Italian restaurant about twenty minutes away.

I made an apple cake, my friend made something chocolate. We'll come back here for dessert and we usually part company before midnight.

DH and I watch the ball drop in Times Square, wait for both DD's to call, he'll call his sister and that is that!

• 8 years ago

I took 3 teenage girls to the mall today. While they were off doing their Forever 21 thing, I went to Nordstrom intending to just find a new eye shadow, and ended up spending about 45 minutes with the Laura Mercier lady, who did my whole face! Now I LOOK like I'm going somewhere special, but here's my big plan. Going to a local pub-type restaurant at 6:00 with DH, 14 yo DD, one of DD's friends, one of my friends whose husband has the flu, and their two kids, age 13 and 15. We'll be home by 8, I'm sure. DD and her friend will make gingerbread houses and watch a movie. (Friend is sleeping over.) DH and I will be in our pj's watching a movie on another TV.

I have two older kids, one of which is already gone for the night. The other is going to a party close to home.

• 8 years ago

Staying home. I've had the flu, today I was able to eat some crackers with peanut butter and a piece of cheese. So far. I don't see me toasting the new year in this condition. The good part of starting the new year with the flu is that I am unable to stuff my face like I had been doing over Christmas.

• 8 years ago

Headed to friends house shortly about 1/2 mile away. Will probably be home by 10.....I'm the only night owl in the bunch.

Happy New Year to all!

• 8 years ago

Happy New Year all!

• 8 years ago

A very memorable New Year's Eve with DH, both my kids, their spouses & grandkids. We've already rung in 2016 here!

My best wishes to all of you & yours for the coming year -

• 8 years ago

Not for me....I am still in the office trying to make sure our meaningful use criteria are met for 2015. :-(

• 8 years ago

Happy New Years Eve from Stowe. We already had the torch parade of skiers come down the mountain and fireworks, from our balcony.

just back from a noisy dinner ... All tired from skiing ... We will see who makes it till midnight .

• 8 years ago

Staying home. Had a cataract fixed on Tuesday, came down with a cold on Wednesday, and am watching my team play football tonight. Felt a little better this afternoon and made some chicken noodle soup. We will try to watch the ball drop in Times Square, which will be at 11 in our time zone (yay!).

Pretty photos.

Happy New Year to you all!

• 8 years ago

Stating home and tiling the downstairs bath LOL I'm at a standstill at the moment, SO's sister called from Canada, so I can't make noise with the tile saw :o

• 8 years ago

Snuggled under my favorite blanket at home! I treated myself to a slice of veggie pizza. This afternoon I went to the Art Museum to see an exhibit called Audubon to Warhol: The Art of American Still Life. Very nice. Then we went to a French restaurant and celebrated the New Year in Paris -- we toasted at 6 p.m. our time!

Watched a silly Netflix movie and off to bed soon. Happy New Year everyone. I hope those of you with colds and the flu feel better soon.

• 8 years ago

After seven nights in a comfy, but small (full size to our king) bed I'll be happily spending it in my own bed with hubby softly purring beside me. We flew home today from northern Cali so are all wore out. Hubby went up early, but I stayed up because our grandson wasn't ready to head to bed and his Dad, our son, asked if we'd watch him while he went out. He'll nap at a friends in the city for a few hours to miss all the drunks driving home then come home to sleep so he can get up early and help his Dad clear all the snow that few while we were gone.
    I'm about ready to head up now, though two of my four kitties have yet to come for loving since I got home. Joey, that big male has been very watchful or me, making sure I'm not planning on leaving the house. He stood next to me and cried when I stood at the garage door when our son left.

• 8 years ago

We are at our weekend lake place in the woods. We went out for a really nice dinner which we never do but wanted to celebrate what was kind of a big year for us. We're back home tucked in and trying to stay awake until midnight.

• 8 years ago

In our house, New Year's Eve has taken a definite back seat to something much more important: the College Football Playoff. And can I just say that the night went really, really well? (I believe outsideplaying will agree).

ROLL TIDE!!!!!

• 8 years ago

Sushi night with family at home while watching the Ball drop! Dress up, Italian bubbly, chocolates and kisses! May all the bad things remain in the old year and all the good things travel with you to the New Year!