Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertculinary

30" Double wall oven recommendations

8 years ago

Looking for recommendations for 30" double electric wall ovens (50 amp max).

Looking for -

Even, consistant convection baking.

Preferably both ovens convection, but not required.

Majority of use will be for heavy baking (Cottage food baker - we sell at Farmers' Markets). Artisan breads, cookies, scones... etc.

Comments (8)

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have the Blue Star electric wall oven with french doors. The fan is kind of loud but I got used to it. I'm recommending it since you do artisan breads. The bottom of the oven is a permanent pizza stone which is amazing for baking breads. It is convection, and also fits a full sized sheet pan (not sure if any other brands fit a full sheet). We've had ours for almost a year now. We don't have "double" - that would just be 2 wall ovens. I wanted double, but couldn't afford it.

desertculinary thanked Debbi Branka
  • 8 years ago

What oven do you have now. Is it convection?

desertculinary thanked wekick
  • PRO
    8 years ago

I have two BS ovens, French & Drop Down doors. I went this route because the previous double oven we had went out so that meant I had no oven. Having two singles means if one goes out I have the other one. They are not cheap but if you factor that most ovens can last a long time it's worth the investment in my eyes.

Good luck!

desertculinary thanked VIA Artisan
  • 8 years ago

Wekick -

Yes, a whirlpool convection.

• 8 years ago

Thanks for the two BS recommendations. Any others out there?

• 8 years ago

I have KA Architect II double convection 30" and I love them.

desertculinary thanked User
  • 8 years ago

I was curious if you used used convection before as "even" heat with convection is not always so easy to come by even with very expensive ovens.

Do you have a budget?

I have an Electrolux oven that I really like but it has been redesigned to dual fans and not sure how it is now. No one has bought the new one and reported back if it works well. There have been some issues with the blue chipping but not near as much has been reported as with Wolf. It is pretty even, preheats quickly, slow and fast fan speeds, third element and great range of temperatures.

Bosch does seem to get pretty good reviews. I think the 800 series more so than the bench mark.

Have you considered any commercial ovens? There is a lady on FreshLoaf that used a Cadco table top oven and loved it. Some are 120v and allow you to control humidity. They are sized according to what size pan the hold 1/4, 1/2 or full. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these.

cadco

The only down side is that they will only warranty it for commercial use. These are different than a residential oven. I think it might have an open oven on the bottom which is good for pies. I'm not a big fan of the hidden bake element, or anything over the bottom element.

To continue looking at residential ovens, look at some of the threads on evenness in ovens. There is one on cookies that talks about Bosch. There are also some about the Wolf series M.

So many ovens have little quirks and you have to read through the manual to see what these might be.

The preheat can be tricky. Some use a fast preheat and advise you to not put food in until it preheats. I usually will preheat my oven for baking for a good 30 minutes even though it says it is ready after about 7 minutes This can mean on some that if you bump up the temp by 50F, you have to take the food out because this intense preheat comes on. Some ovens once the preheat goes off, they cycle to maintain so if you leave the door open or put a large load in, it can take a very long time to come back to temperature. If you find an oven you like put the brand in the search box for previous discussions.

fan speed-you would think that with as much as some of these ovens cost they would have variable fan speed. Wolf just cut their new "M" to higher speed only. The high speed fan with the European convection often produces hot spots so is very hard to get right. I found the most useful convection mode with Wolf to be convection bake with the slower speed. Many others only have on and off for convection. One thing I have really like with Electrolux is they have The third element but it is incorporated in the convection bake and roast but and those functions work well and there is no need for straight convection.