Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

Finally Temps are warm enough for good growth!

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Yes Finally!
Are all your potted trees outside in much warmer temps now, or are you still waiting for temps above the low 50's at night still?

I just might be able to finally green mine up and get good growth, ARG! It's been a very long period of time without the best conditions. I am glad to see others here are just as patient as I am up here in the great north.

Comments (26)

• 7 years ago

Mike, I must be near you and so have same weather. After being ing partial sun/shade for a week, I just moved my trees out into the sun where they will get full sun for about 5 hours/day for a week and then into full sun all day. Am not seeing growth on any except the baby ( 1 1/2 - 2 year) calamondins that are growing like crazy. Figs and natal plum just came out and are in partial sun.

myermike_1micha thanked User
  • 7 years ago

It's looking like we are the only northerners with citrus growing outside in just the right temps now Vladimir))

I excited.

Mike

• 7 years ago

Me too me too! I got lucky this year as you know and they have been outside for a few weeks... But instead of battling with nightly lows I've been hiding my trees from excessive heat and wind so still had to do the in and out a few times.

Interestingly most trees had a good growth spurt inside a couple months ago. A new flush is starting again now on all my repotted trees.

I'm happy for you guys!

• 7 years ago

Mine have been out for quite a while and are very happy!!

• 7 years ago

Jinny, your trees look great!

• 7 years ago

Jinny, as Laura said they look awesome...I love the colored pots I wish mine could get rain like they use too. 3 years back we use to get thunder and rains, and for the past few years we are lucky to get any or to get warm now, even though I am zone 5b. I don't get it. Most every one I know has been enjoying nice warm temps for weeks even in zones lower than I, and yet it is just starting to warm.

Ok, time to give mine vinegar and more fertilizer now that I can get them actively growing again. I love the rain water idea. If I could just get rain to fill my buckets up(

• 7 years ago

So you all wait until it's in the mid to high 50*f to put out your trees? Why wait so long? They are hardy into the low 50's and high 40's with no problems.

• 7 years ago

I don't wait for temps in the 50's but do wait for long range weather forecasts of night time temps of at least in the mid to upper 40's. I do not want to be bringing them in and out for two reasons: New England weather is not very predictable and I have large trees that have to be moved through narrow doorways down stairs.

• 7 years ago

Barb, no. Mine go out when temps consistently stay above the 40's at night just as Vladimir does..What I am saying is that I am grateful temps are finally above the 55 degree mark so that they grow to their full potential now. Now they are getting greener and flushing with new growth. It just stinks to have to wait so long for me at least until the prefect temps arise along will lots of sunlight and longer days.)

• 7 years ago

I agree with Mike.

• 7 years ago

Sometimes it's unpredictable when your going to get a surprise overnight freeze and I'm just too worried my trees that never see below 70 indoors won't have the cold tolerance that hardened off trees do.

i don't do 50 but at least over 40. In all fairness this was my first year with outdoor access. For the citrus.

• 7 years ago

My citrus have actually been out for several weeks now, here in Connecticut!! I thought it would be good to acclimate them to outside early and get rid of pests. However there has been no growth obviously since up until a little while ago temps were still dipping into the 40s. But now Im hoping that changes as nighttime temps are ~60 or so!

• 7 years ago

Ah I see now. That all makes sense. It's true they don't make much growth in the 40's but the extra light I figured would be worth it.

But yeah, you all have to deal with a lot more fluctuating weather than we do out here. More likely we'll get a freak heat wave instead of cold. Like a couple weeks ago we went from mid-50's to 90*F from one day to the next. I was running around watering my pots like mad. Now it's back to more normal. Though we are heating up for the year, 60-80s for now.

• 7 years ago

I took mine out very early this year - March. There were two episodes where I had to bring them in for a few days, which was a hassle. However, although they did not have much growth, they did acclimate to the increased light without burning because of the angle of the sun. they did see some nights into the low 40s, but were fine. They are growing like weeds now...

• 7 years ago

Glad everyone's weather is warming up nicely. So is mine.

Evan

• 7 years ago

Ouch Evan!!!! That is HOT!!

• 7 years ago

Mike, why the vinegar?

• 7 years ago

Thank you Laura and Mike!

The citrus loved the rainwater. They are starting to put out some growth now that the conditions are right. Weather, sun, rainwater, gritty mix, fertilizer, vinegar. It all goes a long way in how they look and grow. They seem very happy to be outside. We have a storm a brewing for the evening forecast. A chance of damaging hail. Back in they go for the night until the storm is over. I will be collecting more rainwater for at least the next few days.

myermike_1micha thanked jinnylea
  • 7 years ago

Wow, Evan! That is a heatwave!!

myermike_1micha thanked jinnylea
  • 7 years ago

Actually not too bad, wait until July/ August when we hit 125, that's when we break out the sunblock...

Evan

myermike_1micha thanked evdesert 9B Indio, CA
  • 7 years ago

Evan, my God, that's hot. Is it humid too or dry air? That makes a huge difference. It was 94 here Saturday and then by Sunday, 54 all day. I was freezing from being miserably hot the day before. My poor trees.

Finally temps are just perfect for them. The next ten day speaks of 70's by day and mid fifties by night. Just perfect!

Jinny, I finally got a good rain storm Sunday and now all of a sudden I an getting all this awesome green growth for the first time since last year! I love it. I hope my trees don't have to rely on tap water from the hose all summer. It does them no good except that it keeps them alive.

Atheen, the vinegar keeps my trees well fertilized and very vivid green. You should see the difference without it. In fact, I think I will take pics of my trees not fed vinegar for weeks. vinegar acidifies my fertilizer solution making all the nutrients available at all times. I have finally stop being lazy about it.

Laura, great news. It's about time. Seems to be most problems for every one dissipate once they are outside in warmer temps)

• 7 years ago

That seems easy enough. Does any vinegar work and how much do you give per tree? I'm watering mine until water flows through every day and then give each of them them half a teaspoon of FP in a quarter gallon every other day. I could just add the vinegar to that.

And yes, absolutely post pics! :)

Atheen

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ateehn watering 'every day' seems a bit scary to me. Are you sure that your mix needs water every day? Does it dry out that fast?

Vinegar, I use white, but then it seems that apple cider vinegar does the same. I have never used it. Yes add vinegar to your fertilizer solution each time. That yellowing should clear up. Go up in your dose of Foliage Pro to like 1/2 tablespoon at each watering. I am thinking if your trees are in full sun, you should be watering once every other day or so unless they are in very small pots or root bound?

• 7 years ago

Well, they are in 511, so it does drain fast. They are not root bound, I repotted them then last year and they had almost no roots left due to root rot from the crappy nursery mix. I don't think that the pots are that small.

Last year, I was told to water every day to keep the roots oxygenated, so I figured I'd do the same this year, but if you think every other day is enough, that's fine by me.

Just to be clear, you mean half a Tablespoon of FP per tree? I typically dissolve it in a quarter gallon of water and give it to my trees about 10 min after I water them. Also, how much vinegar per tree?

Don't forget to post pics of your trees. It's always such a treat :)

I'm off to bed. Sweet dreams, y'all.

Atheen

• 7 years ago

Hey Mike, yes it's a dry heat this week. Come August and September we have the monsoon season and can have major humidity. It will be 120 and raining, then the rain stops, the sun will come back out and that's when it gets really nasty.

Evan