Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninahsiegel38

Kitchen - Marmoleum Flooring - Click, Tile, Sheet?

7 years ago

Who has used this in a kitchen renovation and do you love it?

Comments (17)

• 7 years ago

We have the sheet type in 2 bathrooms and one laundry room. Very easy to clean and I love the dose of color.

• 7 years ago

Thanks. We are concerned about sheet in kitchen that we may abuse it and need replacement parts so not sure.

• 7 years ago

It's pretty forgiving. The color is all the way through. I would worry more about the click and any water though tbh I don't know what the material is to make the pieces fit together. Also the tiles would bother me with dirt possible getting in the cracks.

N S thanked wsea
  • 7 years ago
    Sheet goods - fabulous wear, need pro to install
    Click - easy patterns, softer with cork backing, easy for a talented homeowner to install
    Tiles - more fun patterns, lots of seams to consider, glue down uses expensive glue
  • 7 years ago

Hi Carol. The word "Pro" is by your name. What does that mean? I'm looking to use in kitchen and have been told that Click is for floors that have bad surfaces. But am concerned about all the seams on the tile. We have seams in bathroom and I don't really like. I'm concerned also that the sheet will look tacky and I'd drop my knife on it or stain it and can't repair it. Look forward to hearing from you if possible. Thank you.

• 7 years ago

I have sheet marmoleum all over in a vacation condo. Meant to be temporary solution, as we run out of funds while renovating. 8 years later, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it. Love the seamless look. Feels great beneath your feet - not as hard as tile, stays cools during hot days. Easy to clean. No grout lines to trap dirt. Virtually impossible to destruct. Still looks like the day it was installed, and we've been very tough on it - several furniture rearrangements before settling on the current (final) layout, suitcases being rolled and dragged across, lots of houseguests, kids given free reign.

N S thanked gella81
  • 7 years ago

Sounds good but would you put it in your home, not just a vacation condo? I don't want it to look like we ran out of money - we didn't but I like to keep prices down and figure out the best for less.

• 7 years ago

For me, the decision would not be based on whether its a permanent residence but rather on environmental factors. If I was to end up living in a hot / humid climate inappropriate for hardwood, I'd choose marmoleum over tile for any room. That said, my optimal kitchen flooring is cork. Function first - i love the softness. I think it makes a world of difference in a space where you spend the most time on your feet. Cork is easy to walk on, easy to stand on, kind to your back and joints. Marmoleum is better than tile in this regard, but not nearly as good as cork.

• 7 years ago

Another thing to consider, if you're choosing among the types of marmoleum, is the installation costs. Tiles may be an DYI job, but would require proper waterproof sealing in a kitchen. Sheets with heat welded invisible seams require professional install and appropriate subfloors. Make sure you're taking everything into account for proper comparison.

• 7 years ago

All types will require extensive floor prep. As would any flooring. Your floor has to be FLAT. It isn't cheap to choose, and the required certified professional installation is all but impossible to find in some locations. It is actually probably a more expensive choice than a basic tile or wood would be. You choose it because it Isa green product, or because you live the look. If someone thinks that you put it down because you ran out of money, then they are sadly misinformed as to the expense of the choice.

• PRO
    7 years ago

This is not cheap flooring I love it because you can have fun having different designs used when it is used as part of an overall design this is just one it is sheet but cut and put together by a pro

N S thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Sheet has the most uniform appearance and reduces possible edge lifting that squares may do.

N S thanked Bayle & Co.
  • 7 years ago

I'm here to hijack this post. :) We are looking for marmoleum for our kitchen and I like the checkered tile patterns best, but am worried that the seams will separate/lift/otherwise show their wear sooner. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, we are a household of 2 babies and a dog. Is marmoleum good for wear and tear?

• 7 years ago

Thanks very much!

• 7 years ago

Linoleum reminds me of public buildings because you see it in public buildings...lol. But it is a nice material with many good properties.

• 7 years ago

Hey folks - any comments on type of seam? I hear weld is not good but for Commerical - I'm residential. So that leaves chemical bond/butt bond (might be same thing? Let me know what you know. Thanks.