Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Morton? Off Topic

7 years ago

Since your in the school system and I respect your opinion I wanted to run something by you...my Anthony with asthma started Kindergarden this year a year late as his asthma was to uncontrolled to expose him daily to all the viruses ..doctors recommendations...anyway..school started this past week, I had a meeting prior to school starting with the school nurse about this asthma and what to do and when and I submitted a letter from doctor and of course a new unopened puffer....first day of school ok...yesterday Chip gets off the bus wheezing very badly. I get him in the house and as hubs is loading up his machine I check oxygen level..92.. he gets his treatment..oxygen level now 94..we battled this asthma since yesterday with an ER visit.

Chip went to his teacher at lunch and told her he was wheezing and needed his puffer..she told him to sit down and eat lunch..he of course being a new student did as told..after lunch he told her again he needed a treatment and she told him to sit in his seat..he never had his treatment or seen a nurse..this has caused his asthma to get out of control..currently Chip is again at ER with oxygen level of 88...hubs and uncle took him as I'm at home with sick Tim and Amiee.

Is this what I have to look forward to...my boy can't breath and he's told to sit and eat lunch...I'm furious..how do I comfortably send him back to school after this..and I don't know where to turn as the school will never admit fault.

I think I need to first make a surprise visit Tuesday morning to the school nurse and look at Chips puffer..it was new in box, sealed never opened..and as Chip says he never had any treatments at school yet the doctors letter says he must have one before gym or outdoor play even if he's not wheezing....do you think this is a good first move? I'd appreciate any advice...off the record just one friend to another...Thank you much.

Comments (26)

• 7 years ago

MamaP,

How distressing for
    Chip and your whole family. I too suffer from asthma and truly understand
    how scary it is when you can't breathe.

I must preface I am
    not an expert on students with medical issues and New York City has a very
    large and specialized division that deals with these issues.

A child's asthma plan
    ideally should be reviewed with the nurse, all adults (class teacher, lunchroom
    personal, bus personal, etc.), who are responsible for the child administration
    and guardian or parent, at the beginning of the year and at each change. That
    plan should be signed by each person and placed in the school file. I would ask
    for a copy and to be part of the meeting. The plan should be agreed on and any
    training that needs to done, such as identifying an asthma attack etc. It
    sounds like a lot of miscommunication occurs at Chip's school, as evident from
    your last year's experience with your other grandson.

Do I understand that
    Chip is supposed to receive a regular treatment at school in addition to an emergency
    treatment if he is having difficulty?

Though it is tempting
    to go in and catch the nurse not following through, what you need is to know
    everyone understands Chip's very serious health issues and be certain they act
    responsibly and swiftly. My gut tells me the teacher has no clue how serious it
    is when Chip asks for his medication. It's the first day of school in
    kindergarten and many children try all sorts of things to go home or get
    attention. She doesn't know Chip and doesn't understand how urgent his
    situation can become. If she is a fairly new teacher it's almost like a deer in
    headlights.

Before he returns to
    school you need to educate yourself on the legal protection you have. There are
    both Federal and State laws protecting children with medical issues that
    interfere with their education. I am including a link to a web article
    published by a law firm that concisely explains nursing services in public
    schools in Pennsylvania. Also do a Google search and read a little about 504
    Nurses. They provide medical services in schools for students who have Individual Health Care Plan (“IHP”) and Emergency Care
    Plan (“ECP”). Then

I would contact the
    school district and ask what their protocol is for medically fragile students,
    particularly asthma and allergies. Ask for a printed copy to be emailed to you.
    (You need a paper trail.) Also ask them what first aid, epi-pen, inhaler
    training staff receives, how often and who is authorized to provide the needed
    medical intervention. What is the plan if the building has to be evacuated, or
    the nurse is absent? Each school should have a safety plan on file that
    includes sheltering in place, fire, evacuation to a safe location etc. Does it
    include a plan for students with medical needs if not, why?

(continued in next post)

mamapinky0 thanked hcbm
  • 7 years ago

I would then make an appointment with the administration, or appropriate personal at the school and explain your concerns. Normally I would speak to the teacher first but this is a very dangerous situation. If you know the teacher and feel you can communicate with her I would speak to her first, but I would still have a documented conversation with the administration and the nurse.

I know you will handle this with the MamaP touch, an iron fist in a velvet glove. I think you will be surprised at how many services Chip is entitled to as a student with medical issues. The American Disability Act also protects him. In NYC parents demand and get a trained one-on-one para-professional to accompany their medically challenged children all day and on the bus.

Please message me and I will give you my email if you want to discuss this further in private.

You have been through the wringer lately and I am sorry you have to deal with this problem. I hope Chip is well soon and the school cooperates.

Keep me informed. You are in my thoughts often.

Heather

mamapinky0 thanked hcbm
  • 7 years ago

Heather, I want to Thank You for your response, I will try to comment tomorrow as I'm about to leave. Chip is being transported out of the local hospital via air flight to Pittsburgh. This is so bad. Mike is with him as is his uncle but wild horses can't keep me from my boy. Thank You much....Cheryl

• 7 years ago

I have run into this short of issue with a couple of kids in my practice. Talk to the doc who's seeing your child and get them involved. I have never had a principal give me a hard time getting the kid their meds.

mamapinky0 thanked Andrew
  • 7 years ago

First praying for you and Chip. I have asthma. Mine isn't too bad, but it reads its head of I have a cold or virus, if I cry, or if I run in high heat. Morton gave you great advice so I'll just say you need to talk to the individual teacher and the nurse. My second grade teacher thought I was talking in class one day (it wasn't me, it was the girl next to me. Anyway, she taped my mouth, a big no no with someone with asthma. Between that, and the fact that I started to cry I went into an asthma attack. After she took the tape off and sent me to the nurse it was brought under control. My dad visited the teacher and principal the next day,and from then on I never had a problem.

mamapinky0 thanked sashanikki
  • 7 years ago

ARUGH! What the hell? I'm furious! I can't give advice on how to handle this but why are adults playing with children's health issues.

(To Teacher) Let the kid get his FREAK'N medicine. This isn't brain surgery.

Mama...I don't know how you constantly have to deal with all these brain dead morons.

God bless you. I would go ballistic especially with all the health issues you have going on in your household right now.

Best of luck to you and your sons new year of school.

mamapinky0 thanked georgect
  • 7 years ago

I'd give the teacher the benefit of the doubt, early days, highly distracting environment, BUT, she needs a visit and confirmation that she did read the medical plan. Actions suggest she hadn't read it yet. Then your old buddy the Principal needs a stronger visit. If not a new person, he/she should remember you. Morton's advice is great, but you may not have time to complete all the paperwork since you have sick people to tend. Much less expensive to accommodate a child at school than to provide home instruction. Much less liability for the scool if the child is not injured due to school personnel negligence. The law is on your side and we know you know where the key officials are.

mamapinky0 thanked poppy214
  • 7 years ago

Only have a second here..Chips oxygen level is holding at 84 without oxygen..that's dangerous..with oxygen its at 93 today..

Got the entire story from Chip..he told the teacher just as they were walking into lunch he needed a treatment..she took his hand and took him to the nurse..the nurse did not speak to chip or approach him..the teacher said..Anthony says he needs a treatment as he's wheezing and does have asthma...nurse told teacher..he looks fine to me take him back to lunch and if he's talking he's ok.

The Pulmanary doctor blew up..and I mean blew up..than he hugged Chip and said...I will do everything I can to make sure this never happens again, I promise.

This stupid worthless nurse that has caused me no end of problems.

Doctor is putting in his report that its reasonable to believe that Anthony being refused his asthma medication at school when he ask for it is the direct result of his asthma getting out of control causing a life threatening result. I can't go near the school on Tuesday until the doctor tells me to..he's taken a special interest in this.

Thank You all so much for your kindness.

• 7 years ago

So happy Chip is being taken care of and the doctor has taken a special interest in this situation. In NYC any staff member who is accused of causing harm or creating a harmful situation for a student, is removed from the school as an investigation is conducted. Almost always the staff member continues on salary and is given other work while the investigation proceeds. I don't know what is done in your school system. This is also complicated by the fact that the nurse is also guided by the medical world, which I know little. Please keep us all informed and try and rest a little.

mamapinky0 thanked hcbm
  • 7 years ago

Wow, that nurse deserves ..... something. I'm so glad the doctor is getting involved.

• 7 years ago

How is Chip today?

• 7 years ago

I had the same issue with my granddaughter but the school system (teacher and nurse) handled it well. This is a very serious issue so my suggestion to you is to go to the top. Call the principal of the school and ask for a meeting to discuss (educate them) the issue. Also call the superintendent of the school system and let him/her know about the issue. Be nice but firm with all of them and I guarantee you will see results!

mamapinky0 thanked winnie_dakotaconsulting
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think you have gotten excellent advice above. I would be sure to communicate how very wrong this went and how severe the consequences are all the way up to the superintendent and I would make sure it is documented in writing.

We have a friend with a son who has a severe peanut allergy. His mother was able to get a 504 plan that includes an aide trained on when and how to use an epi pen. That aide is with him from snack time, through lunch time and at every recess and the aide carries an epi pen at all times. I know her doctor wrote a strong letter detailing the severity of the allergy and the measures needed to ensure her child's safety at school.

FWIW, I know she had to push to get this in place before school started but she was adamant with the principal that her son flat out could not attend school until the plan was written and everyone (teacher, aide and nurse) had all necessary training and information. Personally I would not send him back until a 504 plan is signed. They are relatively simple documents and can be written and signed in one meeting

I hope your little one is well soon and wish you success in dealing with the school!

mamapinky0 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • 7 years ago

Chip came home...yeaaa...his oxygen level is holding at 92..he's on the nebulizer every 2to3 hours...along with a higher dose of steroids and bed rest, no activity. He will see his PCP this afternoon.

The teacher called me already this morning. .she said she was so sorry this has happened..her story....Anthony told me jus t as we were walking into the lunch room that he was wheezing and needed a treatment..I took him directly across the hall to the nurses office and told the nurse what Anthony told me, the nurse ask me if Anthony was able to talk..I told her yes..the nurse said he looks fine to me and since he can talk he's ok and doesn't need a treatment send him back to lunch.

The teacher apologized over and over again to me. And went so far as to tell me the next time Anthony is refused a treatment she will call me immediatly. She said she was going straight to the principal after our call ended and repeating the same story.

I have had enough issues with this so called nurse..I don't trust her..I don't believe my boys are safe under her care. I think she got her degree out of a cracker jack box. If I could I'd put my foot so far up her rear..shoestrings would come out her nose..but I can't of course do that. I will handle this the correct way. I've already called the director of special education for the school district and am waiting a call back...I need a full meeting with teachers, principal, lunch monitor, bus driver, ect..everyone involved with chip at school and I want a contract drawn up and signed by everyone..under Other health impairments. Forget what its called chapter 15 or 504..something. I'm also waiting a call from the principal, but I'm sure he's involved in his own little meeting at the moment on how to cover this up.

I will let you all know what happens.

Your support and advice has been invaluable I Thank You all so much. Now get to your laundry lol. (((HUGS)))

• 7 years ago

MamP I'm out right now but good for you and so happy Chip is getting better. It's called a 504. Just some very quick thoughts because of this nurse they have opened them up to a legal nightmare. Use that if u need. They have violated federal and state law. In ny the nurse would be immediately removed on salary given other duties (busy work) until an investigation and hearing by the school system was conducted. If found at fault she could be removed or punished and during the process the state licensing board , city health department would also investigate and if found negligent she would be sanction and possibly lose her license. I would report her to the appropriate agencies if the school doesn't she's going to kill someone.

mamapinky0 thanked hcbm
  • 7 years ago

OMG...Principal returned my call..gave me a completely different story..he said Anthonys teacher just told him that Anthony never told her he needed a treatment and she never took him to the nurse and she had no idea this even happened..the principal said Anthony told a lunch aid and the lunch aid told him to sit down and eat...but if you read above what I said about the teacher calling me this morning. ...why would the teachers story completely change.....Ahhh..so this is what they do to cover up the truth. Its got to be easier to dispose of a lunch aid..or let an innocent lunch aid take the blame than to let the nurse who is fully at fault take the blame..I would not be a bit surprised to find a lunch aid at the meeting willing to take the rap..The meeting is this Thursday.

The teacher called me and told me she took Chip straight to the nurse herself..now the principal says she never took him because chip never told her he needed a treatment...AND I saved this for last...the principal says his report and the teachers will be that Chip never told the teacher he needed a treatment AND that the teacher has not called me to discuss this...you did not recieve a call from Anthonys teacher today!!! I DID get a call from her..no Mrs ***** your mistaken you did not recieve a call from the teacher.

OMG....They are struggling to cover this up....I'm calling an attorney. .this could have been handled the right way but the principal wants to play hard ball..I'll play. I do have the proof of the teachers call on my smartphone..how stupid can they be.

• 7 years ago

Dear MamaP

So happy to hear Anthony is better and that you have things somewhat under controll.

Give thay school al what you got, if this is the same school you other granson had problems with you have a big case with them.

You know your rights and no child should never need to suffee like this just because the school cant give him his meds.

Do the big Mamapinky thing and they will not know what hit them.

All my love to you and your family

Björn

mamapinky0 thanked linus2003
  • 7 years ago

So glad to hear Chip is doing better. So sorry to hear the school is presenting such challenges. I wish you the best of luck in dealing with them and suggest that you document, document, document everything from here on out.

mamapinky0 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • 7 years ago

Dear MamaP, I am so glad to hear your boy is getting better. I've noticed in my life's journey that when people are caught red-handed in a serious issue, some will lie and point fingers to avoid taking any responsibility for their actions. It shows weak character and it looks like that's what you are dealing with at this school - cowards. They are running scared. If you can afford an attorney, I would at least go for 1 counseling session to see what you can and cannot do legally. Write down everything you can remember with dates and names. Shame on these people! You local media might be interested in your story as well but see an attorney first. God bless you and your family.

mamapinky0 thanked winnie_dakotaconsulting
  • 7 years ago

@Pinky. Yes, we can see the Principal is trying to CYA, but what he is doing is called obstruction. Get that attorney pronto and send the Superintendent, and State education officials an e-mail documenting what you said here. You need to do that asap since the sooner you are on record as recognizing the scam the sooner the attorney can do something about it. I don't know the rules in PA, but you should have both a state and a federal case. Print out paper copies for your "evidence " record with time and date.

You may find that all school personnel have now been told not to talk to you about Chip's incident under any conditions. That's more CYA.

Go get 'em Pinky.

mamapinky0 thanked poppy214
  • 7 years ago

OMG I would be so furious! Do you have an email address for the teacher? I would want all communications in writing from this point forward.

mamapinky0 thanked Errant_gw
  • 7 years ago

Please interview three lawyers (over the telephone is fine). Discuss what the lawyer's experience is in dealing with the Americans with Disabilities Act and cases she/he has had with school districts. Lawyers can be hungry and offer to lend assistance even if it is outside of their depth of expeience. I agree you need to pursue this legally. If you have any trouble, please contact me. I am a non-practicing lawyer (securities law, no overlap at all.)

mamapinky0 thanked Abby Krug
  • 7 years ago

Short of going to a lawyer, I would involve the school superintendent. That's what I had to do when confronted with a bunch of lying public school employees. Sadly, this is a pretty common experience. Fortunately, our local superintendent was an ethical person and the issues got sorted out to my satisfaction. We moved our kids to another school where that principal, also an upright ethical person, jumped through hoops to ensure a smooth transition.

mamapinky0 thanked ci_lantro
  • 7 years ago

Good Lord. What a horror story. You so don't need this just now. Having sat over my child's ICU bed after an attack -- to have him intubated and transported to a trauma center to save him -- I totally get your terror. Pity the principle didn't have to sit there, too, and watch that poor child fight for his life. Being married to an attorney, I second all said here. Document, document. . ((Hugs))

• 7 years ago

I'll second sashanikki's advice -- get a notebook and keep writing everything down. Clearly things happen fast and being able to pull that out and follow, chronologically, the sequence of events will prove invaluable. And other's advice -- make sure the lawyer has experience dealing with the school systems, that's worth a lot to avoid missteps. Sucks the school is falling short from day 1. Good luck!