Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Do you guys like the "Cirque"-type shows in Vegas?

7 years ago

The only one I've seen was the "Beatles LOVE" last Sat. (9/24) at the Mirage.

I was fairly "underwhelmed"....

I REALLY wanted to LOVE it, but it was just so.....weird! For some reason, I've never liked the 60's/70's British artwork & imagery that much. Always LOVED the Beatles MUSIC, but....all the strange artwork....not so much. From a theatrical ONLY standpoint, I suppose it was a "quite artful" performance. Lots of flying around, trapeze-work, bungee & cable movements, center stage sections lowering & raising, etc.

To ME, the show focused so much on all the weird interpretations of the 60's "Beatles imagery"....AND NOT on the Beatles themselves OR their music!! The songs were re-mixed for the most part too.

I had thought the "Beatles" themselves, and the unaltered songs would be "highlighted" with movement, etc. However....it was quite the opposite.

>>>> Soooooo....I suppose you either LOVE the Cirque-type shows....or...meh! I just didn't care that much for THIS one. I anticipated it the MOST though!!

The show I LOVED-LOVED-LOVED was the one I thought I'd like the LEAST! "Vegas!-The Show" at Planet-Hollywood was SO FUN! It was a History-of-Vegas type show. Gorgeous/sexy showgirls, featured singers, comedy, etc. WELL done by all. I thoroughly loved it! I even caught piece of candy thrown by one of the dancers....I think I fainted.....;-)

FYI on "Vegas! The Show"...Vegas! The Show

Faron

Comments (15)

• 7 years ago

I am not a fan of Vegas-type venues, but I have always thought it would be fun to see Cirque de Soleil. They do perform here, but I have never made it to a show. Never have been to Vegas and probably never will go. I am sorry you were disappointed, Faron and I would have expected to be impressed, too. I would hope to have a reaction similar to Rockybird's.

• 7 years ago

I've seen 2 Cirque shows. The one in Florida was in a permanent venue which they were able to fully utilize to show off their amazing skills. The other show was a traveling one and they set up a huge tent for the week they were in town. The first show was mesmerizing, the second ....just OK. I think they were limited by the tent.

• 7 years ago

I haven't seen one yet, but DH has seen 2 that were scheduled as group events connected to work. He said they were awesome, in the real sense of the word, and says I should see one. I'm not tempted, though.

It's not that I don't have an appreciation for how wondrous the feats are or the caliber of talent it takes to achieve them, it's just not the sort of entertainment I'm enticed to sit through for an hour or more. Different strokes... ;)

• 7 years ago

Cyn, if you are ever in the Orlando, FL area we have a Cirque show La Nouba (prob. the one Maire_Cate referred to). I haven't seen it, but my DH saw "O" in Vegas some years ago. He said he enjoyed it very much, but he knew I wouldn't care for it. So I've never been tempted to shell out the $$$ to go to the show here.

Donna

• 7 years ago

Years ago we saw zoomanity in vegas. It was really something in so many ways...it had some beautiful and death-defying things, but it was all about sex...every kind of sex you can imagine...I was glad I was with DH and not my mother!

• 7 years ago

I've only seen one, Ka. It was absolutely amazing. Like rockybird, I was in awe of the skill these actors/dancers/athletes displayed.

• 7 years ago

@errant_gw - I think that is the one that I saw also - Ka.

• 7 years ago

I've only seen one, I think it was called Mystere. I liked it, thought the performers were amazingly skilled. I'm not sure I would go see another one, though. I have a friend from college who has literally seen hundreds of their shows in many different places.

• 7 years ago

I saw "O" in Las Vegas a few years ago and it was spectacular.

• 7 years ago

I have been once in Vegas, once on the East Coast and once in Montreal.

The Montreal one was far and away the best. In fact, I would go back to Montreal again to see it. All summer long they have nightly free, outdoor performances. I believe they are based in Montreal and started there. Their open air theatre allows them to do much more than what I saw in the other two shows. Jaw-dropping. We waited in line and by the time we got in there were no seats. I have learned this was vastly preferable to being seated! We were standing amid floating stages and we had to follow stage hand directions as the show moved! We could almost touch the performers. Soooooo cool.

• 7 years ago

I think they do best with very abstract themes...Faron I could see where if they did something more concrete like the Beatles it would be a letdown for anyone who loved the Beatles!

• 7 years ago

That sounds amazing, Red! I might need to plan a trip to Montreal just for that :)

• 7 years ago

We have been to the one in Orlando and to the traveling one as mentioned above. They were both good, but agree the Orlando one was better. We are planning to go again probably not this Disney trip but the next one with the kids.

• 7 years ago

I've watched videos of Cirque de Soleil on Netflix and loved them. I saw a segment of one of their performances years ago at the Edinburgh (Scotland) Fringe Festival, and was awestruck.

But essentially, no real interest in Vegas style offerings. I just don't seem to consider Cirque de Soleil "Vegas", though they do play there.