Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_h12

Must have list for 2017

7 years ago

Yes, I'm shopping again. *hangs head*

I ordered Montana Aureomarginata, Ambrosia, and Lakeside Paisley Print about a month ago and with the recent order from NGP and I'm at way too many for this year. lol

I also got a Aphrodite today, along with a dwarf Japanese maple (Mikawa yatsubusa) a dwarf fothergilla (Blue Shadow), and a Taxus baccata "Amersfoort".

I'm going to have to expand my garden bed. Oh well, less grass to mow. ;)

I'm working on my list for 2017 and thought I'd see what are the must haves for you guys. :)

So far this is mine :

Arc de Triomphe

Emily Dickinson

Fair Maiden

Either Fragrant Dream or Fragrant Queen

Grape Fizz

Salute

Silk Kimono

So Sweet

Sweet Innocence

Comments (35)

• 7 years ago

Arc de Triomphe and Grape Fizz are top notch in my garden! Fragrant Queen, Salute and Sweet Innocence are exceptional. My Silk Kimono has grown quickly, but the leaves tatter at the edges very early in the season. They are like shreds now, while many of my other hostas are still doing well.

stephanie_h12 thanked zkathy z7a NC
  • 7 years ago

FYI on two of your choices. Fair Maiden didn't make it through the second winter - just disappeared. It was small to start with, never grew and then vanished. I had it in a lot of shade. If I were to try FM again I would see to it that it got some sun. So Sweet is an early riser for me. Late freezes and early rabbits has been a problem.

stephanie_h12 thanked beverlymnz4
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Good to know, thank you both. Kathy, I think our weather is pretty similar so hopefully those will do well here too. I hate that Silk Komono tatters so early, I bet it's lovely as a mature specimen.

Beverly, that's too bad about your Fair Maiden. It's such a lovely little plant. Hopefully So Sweet will survive here, but it sounds like I'll have to protect it from late frosts.

• 7 years ago

My order I recently placed with Naylor for 2017

Confused Angel

Erotica

Golden Meadows

Hans

Remember Me

The King

Tokyo Smog

Hyuga Urajiro

Wanted an Oil Paint as well but not available in 2017..still a few more I will order when the new catalogs come out other places

stephanie_h12 thanked miketropic
  • 7 years ago

Nice list, Mike! I see alot of streaked or misted hosta on your order, they must do well for you.

I like all of your list! :) Love The King and Golden Meadows, they are added to my "want" list.

• 7 years ago

Amalia

Hot Kiss

Valley's Lemon Squash

were on my must have list. I also ended up ordering:

Amos

AppleCandy

Dinky Donna

Fog Light

Game Boy

Goodness Gracious

Gypsy Rose

Parisian Silk

Picasso

Sea Gulf Stream

Stephen King

Summer Music

Woop Woop

and hopefully BLushing BLue.

Still on the lookout for Ambrosia, Cold Heart, Teatime, The Queen and Valley's Magnum.

• 7 years ago

I already preordered 18 small hosta (due to limited space) for delivery April 2017, but there are still some I would like to have:

Choo Choo Train

War Paint

Jade Cascade

Emerald Tiara

Fire Opal

Irish Luck

Kikutii var polyneuron

Midnight at the Oasis

Paul's Glory

Queen of the Seas

and on and on and on...

I will also try to get a collection of the hosta two of my smaller dealers registered, you may have never heard of:-)

The Chiemsee series of Planwerk and the Oberland series of Dämmergrün...

But most of the hosta money 2017 will go into the project of getting more space. I found a lot of interesting solutions for bringing new dimensions into the garden. Here in Europe most hosta collectors have a problem with not enough garden for too much hosta and they are really creative :-)

stephanie_h12 thanked Karin Black Cat
  • 7 years ago

Great list. I don't have any problems with the leaves tattering on my Silk Kimono. It's one of my favorites. Have Fragrant Dream, love it. Have fair Maiden, love it. : )

stephanie_h12 thanked don_in_colorado
  • stephanie_h12 thanked mybrownthumbz6
  • 7 years ago

Ooh, so many names I've never heard of, I love it. I'll be googling for hours now. :)
    I saw Cold Heart somewhere and was sorely tempted by it. It was at Contrary Mary's. I really like the looks of Game Boy too.

Awesome lists! I can't wait to see them in your gardens next year.

• 7 years ago

Whew, OK, let's see...

AMBROSIA

BLUE PERFECTION

BRIDAL FALLS

ALADDIN'S LAMP

DANCING QUEEN

CELESTIAL

EARTH ANGEL (gonna try it again)

LAKESIDE CHA CHA

LIBERTY (gonna try it again)

EPIPHANY

IMPERIAL PALACE

and on and on...

stephanie_h12 thanked don_in_colorado
  • 7 years ago

I'm looking forward to Ambrosia too. I hope it does well for all of us.
    I've never seen Imperial Palace before. More googling. Lol

• 7 years ago

Don, how much sun does your Silk Kimono get?

• 7 years ago

Kathy, it gets early morning sun, then high shade until late afternoon, then gets a couple hours of late afternoon sun.

• 7 years ago

Okay. Here's what I have ordered so far.

Afterglow

Angel Falls

Heat Wave

Island Breeze

Ivory Coast

Moonstruck

One Last Dance

Rhino Hide

Touch of Class

I have no problems with Fair Maiden or Silk Kimono, both of which have been in the garden for some time. Golden Meadows is an exceptional hosta, but I am not enamoured of The King. It's only two years old, so I'll have to let it prove itself. Salute is an exceptionally strong grower and will yield lots of lovely divisions. It looks good wherever it is placed. I love Dancing Queen and it has earned several spots throughout my gardens because I like it so much. I gets lovelier and lovelier as the season progresses. I strongly recommend Heat Wave. I grow it already, but never get tired of its colours.

stephanie_h12 thanked ninamarie
  • 7 years ago

Smallest list in many many years.....

Abiqua Trumpet

Apple Candy

Cape Cod

Eclipse

Gemstone

Golden Tusk

Hot Kiss

Kiwi Blue Baby

Midas Touch

One Last Dance

Silvermist

Sky Dancer

Sultana

Unbridled Passion

Victor

stephanie_h12 thanked mikgag Z5b NS Canada
  • 7 years ago

And more new ones to look up. How exciting! Now I need to win the lottery. Lol

• 7 years ago

I've finally acknowledged that I don't have time in the spring to plant anything. Too many mandatory trips to see family and play. So my 2017 list of must haves just arrived from Glenbrook Farm and is in the ground already.

Feather Boa

Birchwood Parky's Gold

Inspire Greatness

Ripple Effect (trying again)

and

Stingray, which I've been lusting after since Steve_Mass posted his several years ago.

Don, my Silk Kimono gets the opposite, morning and late afternoon shade and blazing midday sun. Probably why it's so huge and why the leaves shred so early in the season.

stephanie_h12 thanked zkathy z7a NC
  • 7 years ago

Good for you! I still have my summer orders in pots except for the very latest order from NGP and I didn't plan anything, just stuck them in the ground where I could dig a hole.

It's so dry here and the ground is hard as a brick so I'm either going to have to leave everything in pots or water where I'm planning to dig for a couple of days before I dig.

• 7 years ago

Silver light is one I am waiting on also Mr.brownthumb...any ideas when they put out there 2017 catalog? I have a few left on the list that need to come from there.

• 7 years ago

Website doesn't appear to give any indication about when the 2017 catalogue will be available.

• 7 years ago

I just made a new hosta bed in my very small backyard. At this point, before I even add the dirt, I've probably over-filled it several times over. I have some still in pots from the Summer that need to go there, including Don's Guacamole. I have a few on my list: Touch of class, Pocket Full of Sunshine, Fortunei Albopicta. I also want some more minis. I just now nearly placed an order for Mighty Mouse, Rainbow's End, and Touch of Class before I stopped myself. I've got to plant what I have before I get more!

Here's my new bed. I'm in the "placement" phase now.

Left to right back row: Luna Moth, June, NOID I bought at a garage sale, far right is Don's Guacamole. In the front, left to right: Cheatin' Heart, Harpoon, Blonde Elf. I will probably move another mini Baby Bunting from another garden to the front of this one as well.

• 7 years ago

Ripple Effect has been a good grower for me. And On Stage is one of the first hostas I ever planted Way Back When and it is still growing strong and one of my favourites. I anticipate looking at everyone's choices for 2017.

stephanie_h12 thanked ninamarie
  • 7 years ago

Miketropic, In the Country Garden and Gifts will post their 2017 catalogue on 11/1.

• 7 years ago

ugghh I swore I was done till at least December...oh well might as well get it out of the way I suppose lol

• 7 years ago

Short list... as i have other beds to redo and a row of snowball bushes to put in. I'm sure a few more will slip in, but these are for sure.

Viking Ship

Fame Game

• 7 years ago

Saw a huge Viking Ship in June at Hosta Choice Gardens and my daughter was so impressed she bought one. You will love it, Smorz! Glenn said that everyone who saw it growing in the display garden stopped to admire and ask about it. I now have to google Fame Game :-).

• 7 years ago

Thats what I hear Jo!!... Jeff at LOTG said he will have Viking Ship in next year's line up, so I am pretty excited about adding it finally... Understandably so, it was unavailable everywhere I looked this year.

Fame Game is bred out of WI and is touted to be fairly stable (as streakers go)... from Northern Grown Perennials.

I am so lucky to be in prime hosta real estate and have such awesome growers around me. It broke my heart that Foxfire closed years back.

• 7 years ago

picked up these from ITCGAG today..

H. Blacklight

H. Oil Paint

H. Silver Light

H. Pistache

Please let no more catalog come out till at least January LOL

• 7 years ago

DD, a friend gave me a piece of his On Stage earlier this season. So yes, I'm trying again : )

• 7 years ago

The bed looks great, Popmama. Dream Queen is still partially awake, BTW! Crazy-warm fall here in Colorado.

• 7 years ago

Silver Light was very tempting to me, as most blues are, but the wife doesn't really like them (yet) and I'm still learning about them. I couldn't resist ordering from In The Country . . .

Blitz

Flash Forward

Lakeside Breaking News

Lime Smoothie

Silk Road

World Cup

• 7 years ago

My 'wish list' for 2017 is 50 hostas.... think I'll have to pare down to a more reasonable (affordable) number before spring!

• 7 years ago

Don! I missed your commend about Dream Queen last week. Long live the Queen! My new June looks basically perfect as do several of my Stained Glass. Yes, it's a crazy warm Fall here. I actually cleaned up a bunch of hostas yesterday. I never clean in the Fall only in the Spring. But with the warm weather, I feel compelled to do something!