Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onlywhnchasd

Would you give up your laundry room to add a half bath?

7 years ago

We are preparing to build an addition on our house and as I'm sure a lot of people are; we are trying to pack a ton of functionality into a relatively small space. I thought I was all set and settled with the floor plan, but now I'm rethinking things, which is dangerous.

One of the goals with the addition was to get the laundry out of the basement and create a real entry area with a coat closet. Right now you enter into the kitchen and we just have some hooks for coats and a bench for shoe storage. For the addition, you would enter into a sort of breezeway area that will connect the main addition (which is a family room and eventual in-law suite) with the existing house. The entry space is about 10x4 with an alcove to the right for a coat closet, and straight ahead an archway/pass-through to about a 10x10 dining area. To the right past the coat closet will be the pass-though into the main house (this is currently the entrance door to the kitchen). To the left will be a hallway and the door to the laundry room. And here begins my dilemma...

The existing house is a cape cod style with two bedrooms down and two up. The kids bedrooms are downstairs along a hallway off the kitchen, and there is a full bath across the hall. This is the only bath on the main level. I am wondering if I should consider sacrificing my laundry room in order to add a half bath off the addition. In order to do this and still get the laundry out of the basement, I would have to place the washer/dryer in what was supposed the coat closet by the new entrance. This would put it adjacent to the kitchen (good), but also near the new dining area (bad), and of course it would be just a laundry closet and not a full room. If I placed a half bath in the back portion of what was supposed to be the laundry room, I could create a small mudroom at the front portion, that could maybe take the place of the coat closet. There would not be room for hangers, just hooks and a small bench. Similar to what we have now only in a dedicated room and with a bit more space.

I'm trying to decide if giving up a laundry room is worth it in order to have a half bath that is accessible without having to walk through the main house, and would allow the kids the privacy of not having to share their bathroom or have people back by their bedrooms. Also, wondering if it would then be weird to have the laundry closet so near the dining room. It would be in the entryway, but there is literally just an archway that separates the entry from the dining room. This is an informal country farmhouse, so I'm not worried about making it "fancy," but I don't want to do anything weird either!

If you've read all this and have feedback, it would be much appreciated!

Comments (19)

• 7 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. I think I'm willing to consider it because the laundry room isn't going to be much bigger than a closet anyway. Big enough to have some shelves and a spot for a waiting load of wash, but not big enough to fold/iron/or otherwise hang out in.

But I'm happy to hear you think it's okay to just have a family bath that is guest accessible. Part of my issue is that I'm used to newer construction where there seems to be a design to accommodate guests with separate facilities. The first time we had friends over for dinner, it felt really odd to have them use the kids' hall bath. I don't know why. Our first house only had one bath on the main level and we never thought anything of it. I guess somewhere along the way we got spoiled!

• 7 years ago

we did exactly that-put in a powder room instead of the laundry..the narrow custom closet has yet to come..waiting for months on that already.

the laundry went to the garage-i hate being there. i'm the main laundry person- lol -in this household, and this garage is cold like hell. not enjoying. and I do a lot of laundry. and frankly I'm not a fan of my family doing laundry-they don't take as much care. so it's me spending time in that cold garage..hate, hate.

but we had to think about guests, especially long term ones..for example my elderly MIL that might live with us at some point..we do have a guest/kids bathroom, but sometimes it's not enough, when several people of different ages and with different needs share a home.

so I sacrificed..what one can do. I was promised a clean and organized garage as a trade off but it didn't happen just yet))). we'll see.

but I wouldn't do it for kids)) elderly relatives get more considerate treatment..kids are more resilient to discomforts of life, and nothing wrong with them sharing. unless there are health concerns(there are plenty of conditions-unfortunately-where a person just needs to go a lot), then adding a space makes the same sense, kids or not kids.

onlywhnchasd thanked aprilneverends
  • 7 years ago

Would I give up a main floor laundry room? NEVER.

onlywhnchasd thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • 7 years ago

Can you sketch out a floor plan? Maybe there's some sort of compromise...

onlywhnchasd thanked Fori
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We had a similar dilemma, but opted to keep the laundry, as it also contained our utility closet, and with 6 people, something always needs to be thrown in the wash- I usually leave the door open so random items can be thrown right in. We also considered we have a 4 bed, 3 full bath- so another toilet just wasn't that big of a deal, even though the guest is near the kids rooms.

Additionally, most of our guests are kids/friends, and we never have overnight guests. If we should, they'd be in the en suite, and the kids whose room that is are kicked out for the night. I guess I don't feel bathrooms are private spaces- they are when the door is locked, but after that it's for anyone to use, and each should be cleaning up after themselves. Of course, I grew up with 3 kids sharing it and guests.

onlywhnchasd thanked Renee Texas
  • 7 years ago

Thank you for all of the input. I'm mulling it all over and trying to think through all the pros and cons. I don't worry about the kids' feelings about sharing a bathroom--they don't know any different so it's not a concern for them--it's my feelings about it. Also, I think about all the traipsing back and forth to the bathroom from outside and think how nice it would be to have a bathroom off the entry so as not to have all that traipsing right through my kitchen!

If it was a real laundry room I wouldn't consider it, but it is more of a walk-in laundry closet than a room. I would still need to take clothes elsewhere to fold, iron, etc. Other than scrapping the half bath idea, the only other option would be to combine the laundry and powder room, but I'm not sure how I feel about that. You would have to walk through the bathroom to get to the laundry, and to me clean laundry and bathrooms don't really go together. Thoughts?

• 7 years ago

A drawing would really help. There may be a plan you have not thought of.

I know people are all sorts of squeamish about toilets and laundry mixing, but sometimes they can be planned together, with some separation. (And besides that there are more germs in a kitchen sink than on a toilet seat, and no one is squeamish about putting a laundry in a kitchen).

onlywhnchasd thanked palimpsest
  • 7 years ago

I grew up in a house with the laundry in the first floor full bathroom. Eventually my mom made my dad put bifold doors in front of the machines--there are things that can make it feel less weird. You would really love having BOTH!

onlywhnchasd thanked Fori
  • 7 years ago

If the laundry room isnt going to be much bigger than a closet anyway, then I would do the half bath. It doesnt seem like you would be losing much and having a half bath for guests to use would be nice. But it might be worth posting the plan. Maybe someone on here can figure out a better compromise.

onlywhnchasd thanked rockybird
  • 7 years ago

I would definitely do the half bath.

onlywhnchasd thanked mnnie
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you all again for the feedback. I'm really leaning towards sacrificing the laundry room and going with a powder room. The more I think about it and think about the way I do laundry, I believe the ROI (for me) on a separate powder room would be greater.

I'm attaching a drawing, but I there really isn't much to work with. The area outlined it red is initially going to be a family room, but in a couple of years it will convert to an in-law-suite, so we want/need to keep that area separate the way it is (so ignore the bathroom there, that's part of the suite).

The room labeled with the red L and blue B is the current laundry room, proposed change to powder room/mudroom. The alcove with the blue L is where I am thinking of moving the laundry, and the red X in the area to the far right is the location of the main floor bathroom in the existing house. And yes, we have walls, I just didn't draw them out! :-)

• 7 years ago

Are you going to take out the bathroom in the new family room? I would leave it if possible. It seems like the laundry is in a perfect location for a powder room.

onlywhnchasd thanked rockybird
  • 7 years ago

If you had no bath downstairs, then I would do it -- but since you do, then I would keep the laundry room and not do the half bath. How often do you have company that might use the bath? Consider that.

onlywhnchasd thanked User
  • 7 years ago

No. Assuming you are talking about the area outlined in red: That whole area is part of the new addition, but since it will only be a short time before it becomes a private in-law suite (with full-time residence), we are planning ahead and not considering that a family/guest bath. The other bathroom (marked with an X) is in the existing house and will be staying as-is.

I agree, the laundry is in just the right spot for a powder room. I sure wish I could have both, but there just isn't room (or budget) for everything. Maybe I need to start playing PowerBall!!

• 7 years ago

Is this plan a done deal?

Is how the addition is attached to the house already fixed?

Is the area I have marked the shower?

I ask because

1) the in-law suite bath seems huge for a 3/4 bath even if this is supposed to be universal access, which I don't think it is because of the shower configuration. That bath layout has a lot of wasted space.

2) there is probably some space dedicated to circulation, getting into the space that could be planned more efficiently if the way the addition meets the house is flexible.

Really in an addition this size I think there should be room for laundry and a powder room, even though I can't read the dimensions.

onlywhnchasd thanked palimpsest
  • 7 years ago

1) Yes, that is the shower. However, I realize looking at it now this is an old drawing. It's since been tightened up and a linen closet added. Space between walls/toliet/vanity/etc. is roughly 3 feet all around. It's not meant to meet universal access codes, but to be enough to make it work should some form of mobility assistance become necessary.

2) Unfortunately, the way the addition meets the house is how it has to be. There are obstacles we have to work around (utility access, existing structures, elevation, etc.) coupled with an extremely tight budget. Sadly, we can't afford to reinvent the wheel.

If it were not for the eventual dedicated in-law portion, there would definitely be room for a laundry. But drawing the family room with the ability to convert it to a decent private in-law suite was the priority.

• 7 years ago

You are probably not going to be running the laundry while you are entertaining guests so nobody needs to know what is in that closet. Also, the new machines are really quiet. You may need to have louvered doors for ventilation. Is it possible to remove the recessed outside entrance and place the door in plane with the outside front wall? That would give you ample room for a mudroom bench and hooks in the right location. You can have ancillary hooks either along the hallway to "stairs" in the addition or in the "old" laundry/proposed half bath as you stated but best to have them right where people enter.

onlywhnchasd thanked scrappy25
  • 7 years ago

scrappy25, we did originally have the entrance wall in plane, but we had to recess it because there is a detached garage behind and we had to have room for a landing and steps. With the wall in plane, the steps would end right at the door to the garage. Oops! I like the idea of putting hooks in the hallway to the stairs though. It's not perfect, but a good compromise.