Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carly_gibson93

Need landscaping design help for secluded house on slope

7 years ago

Hello!

We moved into this house in Chesterfield County, Virginia (Zone 7b) -just south of Richmond-less than a year ago. As you can see from the pictures, the house is in a bit of an unusual location, it's fairly isolated except for one house nearby (off the driveway) and it's on a big horizontal slope. It faces south, so the front gets a lot of sun, the back not so much.

Here are some more of the front:

The house itself is situated at the end of a long driveway off the cul-de-sac of the street. There is also an island in the center of the driveway which curves around:

I'm thinking it might look more welcoming if this island was landscaped a little (I can provide more photos of it). So far it's been pretty neglected and is just full of leaves (and some bearded irises I found on the end while raking), which I am trying to remove as I can, but the land is also uneven and hilly. There are some pretty tall oak(?) and pine trees that are very prominent in the space.

An issue I'm concerned about is, since we are practically in the woods is the many creatures that roam through-deer, raccoons, rabbits, etc. Right now all there is in the front are these Boxwoods.

I'm wanting to add something much more visually appealing, in the front, as well as the side:

The larger tree I think looks like Holly but the leaves appear to have been heavily eaten by bugs or something.

And then there is this eyesore in the back of the house behind the deck, which I believe was once a rock garden:

From the back:

Sorry if that's too many pictures (some of the angles were hard to get since it's so tall with the hill) but the property is pretty large and unique, and just needs some TLC. Does anyone have any ideas for me about what I could add (or remove) to make it look better?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• 7 years ago

These are really great ideas, thank you! I'll be looking into some small trees we could potentially plant on that side of the house.

• 7 years ago

I second Yardvaark's comment on the plants on the side of the house near the AC. They are absolutely too close to the wall. Whenever you buy plants pay attention to the mature heights and widths. If a plant will be 5 ft wide at maturity, plant it at least 2 1/2 ft from a wall or fence, otherwise it will lean. Fill in with annuals and perennials while it's still small. And while I agree with screening the AC, be sure to leave room for air flow around the unit. Crowding it with greenery will interfere with its efficiency.

Adding trellis to the open space beneath the porch is the quickest way to cover that void. See the picture below. You could paint it to blend with the brick or match the house color to make it stand out.

Elegant deck design from interior to poolside · More Info
    The terraced area off the back deck was an attempt to add level space for a sitting area. If it seems rocky it is likely because they put down gravel. Consider putting down pavers so the area can be used more often. The end of this terrace where the path goes down the hill looks like a good place for a fire pit if that interests you. The few shrubs along that terrace edge are a good idea to keep people from falling over the edge. Add more evergreen shrubs to make it safer.

Carly thanked mindshift
  • PRO
    7 years ago

It would be good to decide early on if you wanted to add more lounging space at the terraced area below the deck. Regardless if you do or not, you should fix the retaining wall by adding another section/wing that turns and extends the wall until it terminates at grade. If you don't, it's going to self destruct by eroding behind the wall ,at the end, and it will work its way farther and farther into the wall. I'm not showing it, but if you're going to use the terrace for lounge space, it would be good to add a railing along the drop-off edge of the retaining wall. Plant a strip along the outer 3' or 4' of the terrace if you want to conceal some of the wall and add some planting interest.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That's a good idea about extending the retaining wall, Yardvaark, I hadn't even thought of that. I was thinking about installing some pavers on there and making it more patio-like. I like the idea of putting a firepit there, but my husband thinks it's too close to the house. It's about 30 feet from the back door to the far end of the terrace.

I just took these pictures: I don't think it'd be practical to have the fire pit at the top of that hill (outside of the terraced area, if that's what mindshift meant) there because that's a trail head that goes down to the rest of our property:

I also took a picture of this crack that's in the retaining wall:

The area is filled with sand. Do you think it'd be a good idea to just replace the entire wall while extending it?

• PRO
    7 years ago

The crack in the wall is the beginning of retaining wall failure. There may be a fix, but it would require on-site, exploratory investigation. The wall should have internal, built-in drainage behind it. But we see a drain pipe in the picture and we don't know what's up with that. Replacing the whole wall is kind of like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Usually, one wants to know if this MUST be done before one does it. Once a sign of failure appears, it's better to remedy sooner than later, as too much later may require jumping into the fire.

You might use an inexpensive, portable fire pit for a while and see if it you think it will work out on the terraced portion of the yard. I have a wood fire sometimes that I doubt is more than 12' from part of the house. But there is nothing flammable between the two ... just green plants and concrete walk and it is not burned unattended.

• 7 years ago

I meant that a firepit would go on the terraced area. The firepit would be nearer to where you have the bricks. I envisioned a paved area extending from the back steps across the terraced area to the slope. This paved area would be wider than the current gravel area. Where Yaardvark curved the paved area back in, I would keep the line straight. You could pour steps from this area to a second future terrace outside the bottom level door.

The crack in the wall is a problem. Retaining walls should have a firm concrete footing. This is especially important for areas with frost heave and for taller walls. Your current wall is at least 42" tall; anything taller than 36" may require anchoring into the hillside. Most states require walls taller than 48" to be designed by an engineer. Allowing a way for ground water to escape from behind the wall is also important. You need to fix this before you do any paving or planting.