Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terry_gaffney92

tomato ferts to stop habanero flowers dropping???

6 years ago

Hi folks I have 4 habanero plants wich are super healthy indoors 2of them have one pepper each and that's it. they were absolutely coverd in flowers and buds and I made sure I went around each and every one of them with a very soft artists paint brush twice!!! I checked them the next day and to my absolute horror they have shed the lot !!!!! I went to my local garden centre looking for numexs twilight seeds ( I recently posted a request on here asking if anyone had any spare but as no one answered my post I think I must have offended folks for asking so therefore I apologise and I won't ask for seeds again) anyway the guy at the garden centre said that tomato food will STOP flowers dropping on my habs. Is this true or do I take this with a pinch of salt? I would appreciate some feedback as this is doing my head in TG

Comments (10)

• 6 years ago

Flower dropping may cause by many reasons, I have no idea tomato fertilizer can stop it but tomato fertilizer is good for chili plants too.

• 6 years ago

I don't think fertilizer by itself would stop the blossom drop. I think most C.chinense peppers like quite a bit of humidity for their pollen to be fertile, which is probably hot as high as they would like in a normal household environment. There could be other factors as well.

• 6 years ago

Thanks ffor answering my post so quickly green_passion I'm gutted about the flower drop and I'm just looking for something that I can do to help my poor plants :-(. So do you think I should just go ahead and use the tomato fertiliser? I had used miracle gro ferts when they were smaller but I read on a few posts on here that mg can cause to much nitrogen and that could cause flowers to drop? any way thanks for any feedback it's appreciated TG

• 6 years ago

Hi isgen thanks for your answer I do spray them every morning with a fine mist spray of water they seem to enjoy that another thing that I've been very careful with is watering Im paranoid when it comes to watering as I don't want to drown them I seem to have been good with that lol. maybe I should just stop worrying about them and try the tomato food once a week or whenever they need it. Thanks again guys for your input TG

• 6 years ago

Thanks willardb3 I will take all that onboard. Especially number 11!!!! Lol that one describes me down to a tee :-) TG

• 6 years ago

Any chances the plants could go outside at some point in the near future? It's generally much more favorable to fruiting.

• 6 years ago

I'm in SCOTLAND in the UK so I wouldn't dare put my precious hot chillies outside!!!!!! there's a well known saying in Scotland we get 4seasons in one day only yesterday in the west coast of Scotland where I live we had HAILSTONES!! and now today it's freezing cold with some sunny spells with a couple of heavy rain shower thrown in for good measure our weather is rubbish every year in Scotland we are all pale blue skin wich is the norm ha ha lol cos it's always freezing TG

• 6 years ago

Oh, I see, yeah, it might be somewhat brutal for peppers out there!

• 6 years ago

Love #11, Willardb3! I'm afraid I'm becoming a helicopter pepper grower.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH