Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedi_lee_hesse

Need budget friendly ideas for front of house.

6 years ago

Looking for ideas to give my house a facelift. My preferred style is bohemian/farmhouse.

Cattails are growing out of a pond that will be moved to the backyard.

Big trees must stay. overgrowth on side of house has been removed.

Am thinking a narrow pergola over the garage door with climbing hydrangeas on both sides. Have landscaping ideas already - am looking more for ideas about the house itself. Should I paint the brick the same color as the siding? Once the pond is gone, should I extend the porch across the front? If so, how? Or continue the pergola idea across the front of the house. If not, shutters or not? Help!?

Comments (12)

• 6 years ago

First, if you are going to do shutters, do them so they fit and are functional looking (with hardware). Put them only on the windows that can handle them - can't tell from the photos you posted. Is the second photo the front or the back? Here is a brief article w/photos on sizing shutters written by an architect: https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

• 6 years ago

all photos are of the front and right side of house. imagine walking to the right from the garage door to the right side of the house. different angles. in the last photo you can spot the front door towards the corner of the L. Thanks for the article!

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would do a very deep olive green (or even a sage green) for your siding with black, properly fitting shutters (with hardware) and a white front door.

• 6 years ago

Or you could paint the siding white and the shutters the olive or sage green with a black front door. You have a few limitations with the red brick and the red roof.

• 6 years ago

^^Maria, I thought it was a foreclosure the poster was buying. I had no thoughts that the poster lived in this house with the overgrown yard. Maybe the poster can enlighten us...

• 6 years ago

none of the above. LOL - no anger here. Totally understand why you would think all of that. It's a long story but in a nutshell; my husband's former wife was granted use of the house for five years after their divorce. She moved out some time ago but my stepdaughter stayed for her college years. Now that stepdaughter is moving out as well, we can get started on renovations.....long distance. This house is in Michigan on family farm property. I currently live in Tennessee but will be moving north soon. Have already done some major work on the interior in sporadic two week visits. Obviously will not be doing exterior work until next spring/summer. So I am in planning mode.

• 6 years ago

Aha, understood. It is just too big a project for one girl alone I guess.

Maybe it is because I just moved to an area, where some people just won't bother. They rather have easy solutions, then some hard work. So it looks familiar to me, not as a foreclosure, but as a am-a-bit-more-lazy-than-is-good-for-me owner.

Especially the tenants here are shameful. It is not theirs, so why bother doing some normal upkeep? Such a shame...

Hedi Lee-Hesse thanked Maria Privat
  • 6 years ago

I wouldn't paint the brick, but I would paint out everything that is that rust/maroon color to something a light beige that harmonizes with the brick or mortar. (This includes the garage door and downspout!) That might be enough to bring the house forward 40 years, or you could try a slightly darker color on the siding as well. Then a nice contrasting color for the front door.

That might do more than you think. I don't see a need for a pergola here, but obviously the landscaping needs a complete overhaul -- I think you can keep it more natural and mounded, but contained back into some beds with a clear walkway to the front door.

• 6 years ago

Move the address number :)

Use modern numbers - large scale, but not on the garage.

• 6 years ago

Moving them out to the road.

• 6 years ago

to ACM - definitely want to paint the brick - hate it!