Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msk6261

Need advice with our poolside waterfall.

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We made the mistake of having our landscape designer design the waterfall for our new pool rather than someone who specializes in waterflow. The aesthetics are nice but the features of the flow are uninspiring and the sound is more like loud slapping (water comes from high above), not soothing at all.

We are trying to figure out a way to retrofit what we have rather than take the whole structure apart. We've tried adjusting the water pressure, adding items at the top, etc. but nothing works.

We have considered adding gradual steps at the bottom to deflect the water before it hits the pool? Or....... installing small shelves from top to bottom to create a obstacles for the water to flow around on the way down? But what should those shelves be made of? ledgestone? more glass tile? How to install?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    6 years ago

I have some questions about the structure.

How tall is it?

Is the water feature a pre-fab sheeting waterfall unit or does the structure fill with water and then spill into the pool?

What is the distance from the equipment to the feature?

What is the pipe size?

Is it on it's own separate pump or does it share the filtration pump?

Can you post a photo zooming in on the point where the water exits at the top?

Mindy Katz thanked Mystic Pools, LLC
  • 6 years ago

Thank you for responding.

The structure is approx 5 ft tall. The structure fills with water and spills into the pool. 40 ft from it's own pump. I am away from the home at the moment and can send pics of it in action next weekend.

• PRO
    6 years ago

A spilledge or spillway installed into the top of the wall may be good options to help how the water flows. A contractor would be best to help work out installation details, but we’re happy to help however we can!

Mindy Katz thanked Water Scuppers and Bowls, LLC
  • 6 years ago

Ah......finally got these pictures as the weather has not cooperated this month.

The height from where the water cascades to the pool surface is approz 58". I don't know the size of the pipe

We have lowered the pump pressure significantly to lessen the sound so when we do use the waterfall is just spills down the face of the blue tile. Not very exciting. The other speed (pictured here) is at diminished pressure as well but still creates quite a racket!

(at slowest pump speed)

• PRO
    6 years ago

OK. You have a couple of options.

First, the spill stone should protrude out at least 2" from the face and it should be slightly pitched back towards the reservoir. This allows the water to "build" up and create a better sheet of water cascading and stay off the tile face. The edge of the stone should be cut at 90 degrees, not bull nosed or rounded or the water will roll back under the stone edge.

Some seem to think pitching towards the pool or keeping the stone level is correct when in fact, it is wrong. Your present stone looks to be level This does require replacing that stone for the correction.

The other option is what Water Scuppers posted previously. A custom spillway of copper, brass, stainless steel, etc., with sides will work nice. Some are available in stone as well.

On my Houzz site, under Tenafly pool, we built a pool/spa 10 years ago and I installed a custom spillway of copper to protrude enough to clear the coping stone below. The spa was set back as we installed an automatic pool cover and it needed a coping stone to sit beneath for the track. The pool has travertine coping and decking. The 4th photo has the best view.

Hope this helps.

• 6 years ago

Thank you, that was helpful. Our waterflow starts from a much higher spot but your photo did give me the idea that we can install metal spouts (like in your example) or shelves to break the water's flow on it's way down to the pool. That way it won't hit so hard?

• PRO
    6 years ago

The pre-fab spillway gives a consistent sheet of water. Experimenting with the flow rate allows you to achieve the desired affect even at a higher elevation.

Your photo shows a lot of turbulence at the top which also can cause a inconsistent spill back to the pool.

If the spillway is set as I had recommended, you'll see a big difference.

• 6 years ago

The pump was just turning on in that photo. It was pouring rain so I wanted to get the shot as quickly as I could.

Do you have a spillway you would recommend? A link where I could find them?

Thanks!

• PRO
    6 years ago

Mindy, this the product I used on the spa spill.

http://oreqcorp.com/features/spilledges/index.asp

The Spill Edge under Styles and Applications is the model. There are several metal options to choose. Your spill edge would be a custom order-so measure carefully!

You should speak with someone in the technical department to advise you on the lip extension measurement based on the drop distance to the water. This way it should prevent/limit water from hitting the glass tile face. Keep in mind, windy conditions will alter the spill drop.