Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

2 parts : Beverly and lady of shallot

This is so unusual.. my Beverly from last year has not a one bud on it . None?! Not even tiny ones . Just leaves . It has gotten the same treatment as the rest , in the same full sun border as others .. also I didnt hard prune it nor did it dieback .

just wondering if that's normal or what on earth is happening

number 2: lady of shallot .. I had to move it away from flamenco Rosita who draped herself over LOS. Poor thing grew very awkward. Now I wonder , should i cut it back to reshape it ? Or will it even out . I thought all these laterals from last year would produce buds but they really haven't . What would you do ?

Thanks for your advice always !

Pic is lady of shallot. :)

Comments (29)

• 6 years ago

Well, if it makes you feel any better , my Beverly is totally leafed out and looks fabulous but has only one little teeny tiny Bud so far

I think maybe it is just going to be a little bit later of a bloomer .

As far as the lady of shalott I'm a trimmer I'd cut that sucker back. But that's just me.

I wouldn't worry too much about Beverly I betcha she's gonna take off and be fabulous she's just taking her time.

• 6 years ago

My LOS is an awkward growing bush, too. It has twiggy growth from a cane about a foot and a half high. Year before last it shot out a 5 foot cane. The twiggy growth had blooms but only the tip of the longer cane had blooms; none on the laterals. This year, the longer cane had several short laterals all with blooms, which looked lovely but the bush is so ungainly.

Sultry told me to have patience with it.

I would wait to see how she wants to grow out before doing any heavy pruning. I would prune the laterals an inch or so.

Now, is that new growth (darker colored) that I see in the pic coming in ? If so, those are likely to have buds.

Jo

• 6 years ago

Lily, are your roses on their own root or grafted? My Lady of Shallot is own root so it does take a bit more time to mature. The first year I had it, I think it had approximately two or three blooms on it and that was it. I had never experienced such a rose that didn't produce its first year. Oh, and the first bloom was such a bright orange, I wanted to dump that rose immediately. However, I know DA roses do take a bit to mature and so I moved it into a pot and gave it a little less sun that the hot, hot, hot spot I had it in. It did much better on its second year. I eventually moved it back into the ground (different spot than the first time) and it does grow lanky and tall. My neighbors love this rose. It is still a bit too orange for me (can you tell orange is my least favorite color?). However, I know for Austins they need about five years to really mature in my garden. Hope that helps.

Lady of Shallot--first year

Lady of Shallot--year two to year three

Year four

Year 5 and back to more orange color. She loves to keep you guessing!

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think I would give LOS a hard prune, probably leave only 1/3 of what’s currently there. I’d guess when it was transplanted not enough roots followed the plant to support that upper structure. I find it extremely hard to keep feeder roots when tranplanting a rose already in the ground, so I prune quite a bit to compensate.

• 6 years ago

Thank you everyone!! To answer some questions.. it's grafted . There's really not a lot of new growth on it . I noticed that all the roses I moved in the winter have smaller foliage and lack of vigor (why?!) . Bit at least they are alive ! I think I'll give it a light haircut , there aren't many buds yet so I'll leave those that have buds .

these are absolutely beautiful photos ! Thank you !!

And im glad to hear Beverly is slwoer . I really wasn't expecting to see nothing at this stage! I'll have to make a note for next year

• 6 years ago

I've always been afraid to move anything in the winter. Wouldn't it be too cold for them to settle down? I've had good luck moving stuff while it's growing though. Maybe it was too cold for the plant to adjust all the way? I know people say to do it in winter, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I'm afraid to do it.

• 6 years ago

Really witchy ? You have good luck when it's growing ? Last year i moved queen of Sweden after its first flush and it took forever to forgive me . They say in the winter when it's dormant they rose dosnt even know it's moved. But all 3 I moved it's obvious to my eye . I actually have some roses up front to move I know I better do now but I'm so afraid to. In my experience, it's best not to move mine at all . Lol

witchy I was thinking of you when I saw this meme .. killed me bc I totally relate . I won't stop til I have all the roses !

Also saw this beautiful gargoyle and thought you'd like it too . It was at iris city gardens here by my house

• 6 years ago

lol yes. I love that. We moved one yesterday, and did the two shovel thing trying not to disturb the roots. Poor Edith Schurr looks awful, so I don't think she liked the mossy spot I had her in. When we dug her up, I also noticed that spot had more clay than anywhere else. Anything on her would be an improvement right now. I moved a Belinda's Dream when it was hot out, but BD is so vigorous that might explain why she didn't care. At least she wasn't being mowed anymore. lol

• 6 years ago

Lilyfinch - that is so funny!!! Yeesh :)

Carol

• 6 years ago

Here is my LOS own root, bare root from DA 2016. I really don't prune it except to dead head. I like its arching canes which have budding laterals all along the cane. I have tied it to the gate post to allow for more air and sunlight to get through to the many basal canes.

too bad wisteria will be gone by the time she blooms.

• 6 years ago

More spaced out now

• 6 years ago

My LOS had grown small light leaves on the top, that looked stunted. I cut them back. I think it's stuff that should have got zapped with the late freezes, but she's just stubborn. I would also cut it back. Now is the time to do it. Those leaves don't look happy. Mine were yellow tinted and very small.

• 6 years ago

My LOS has awkward growth too. She gets very bushy but a twiggy bushy, and falls over on itself as the laterals grow in. I chop mine back, trying to make it look like the nicely rounded shrub shown in the DA catalogue. I think LOS would be happier here as a climber. Mine doesn’t bloom much either.

• 6 years ago

Thanks !! I want to cut it back by there are indeed some blooms on it so I have to wait . Looks great like a climber Totoro ! The wisteria is so lovely too !

Witchy you are right the leaves don't look happy. It got alfalfa with fish emulsion. Maybe they will drop and new will grow . Strawberry hill looks similar and so does my bishops cstle . They all look stunted from the move ! Maybe I did it too early ? They only had swelling bud eyes . Oh well . Hope i don't have to do it again next year .

Mad I am sorry to hear yours dosnt bloom much !! Mine did good last year., even blooming under flamenco Rosita. Maybe the climate makes the difference?

• 6 years ago

Mine didn't have any buds, so I didn't feel bad about it. I wouldn't have cut, if it had any. lol I planted it last fall, and it looks healthy. Hope it blooms some.

• 6 years ago

Lilyfinch, I agree that climate is everything. LOS seems to take our heat well, but is mostly a big green twiggy bush, nothing like you see in pictures. I may move it later. The blooms I did get smelled nice and fruity.

I moved a few roses before I read that winter moves are supposed to be easier on them. I just wanted that space, dug them up and plopped them elsewhere. I don’t remember what season it was, it was hot, but spring, summer and fall are hot here, lol. They sulked for that 1st year, had some die back because the rootball was no longer big enough to support all the top growth. I read that you should let the rose decide how much it can support (via die back) after a move, so I only cut what died. They bounced back fine eventually. The grafted rose recovered faster than the ownroots did; probably due to more vigorous roots.

Yours should bounce back fine with water and time.

• 6 years ago

I have two LOS sitting in pots waiting to be placed in the front yard after all the painters are gone

They are in prime front yard locations and if they are duds out there i'm not giving them very much time to prove themselves . I should have gotten golden celebration that probably would have been a better Bush for what I'm looking for.

• 6 years ago

Here is mine! Grafted, been in the ground 2 years. It is not shrubby at all. More like a vase shape. I had pruned it down to 18 inches in the hopes of it being more shrub like. Hope this helps your placement decision, Kristine.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked alice_abq_7a
  • 6 years ago

Alice, that looks great

• 6 years ago

Alice - that's a LOVELY shrub!!!! So many flowers and buds...and the shape is spot on!

Carol

• 6 years ago

The ones I've moved were small, so the roots never had the soil around them disturbed. I doubt I'd been so lucky with the size of yours Lily. Probably would need heavy equipment to not touch the roots on a big one. I did see a lot of tiny roots on poor Edith Schurr, so I don't know what her problem is. It had to be the clay. The other spot doesn't have clay, so I'm hopeful. I gave her some alfalfa tea today. She is a woody twig with one set of leaves.

• 6 years ago

Your Darcy is already looking fabulous

• 6 years ago

Wow beautiful roses.. but I LOVE that gargoyle!

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked bethnorcal9
  • 6 years ago

Regarding Lily's first photo, I would train that as a climber by putting some framework behind it. I wonder if that would suit your way of doing things, and your situation there... you have quite a bit of cane to work with. I prune off any very low twiggy growth, leaving the strongest canes to train, like this below, although I do see on the forum some lovely photos of it as a shrub, so it's just a preference to let it climb and I'm not so keen on the sprawling look...

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked User
  • 6 years ago

The leaves seem small on your Beverly.... do you by any chance get chili thrips? Once I started spraying for them, my leaves got big and healthy.

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked sharon2079
  • 6 years ago

Blooming

Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 6 years ago

Isn't She a pretty lady

• 6 years ago

How pretty totoro. Love that color. The sun bleaches mine out in a couple of hours.